Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #826 of 1,530
I really like the FV with the OG Clear. It didn’t pair well with my Woo WA6-SE, but the FV sounds fantastic.

Thanks -- going to have a longer listen with these later today.

I did run the Folks for a few hours with the HD8xx in harness, partly to see how they'd sound with / without the impedance multiplier switch. I actually preferred the sound with the switch engaged, seemed to tilt the sound a bit further back on the FR axis, in a manner reminiscent of the late, belated Quad Tilt Control. Blurred slightly the leading edge of noters but filled in the sound and I really liked it with some of the hotter recordings I played.

No real wisdom here -- really, really enjoying this amp thus far. Does pretty much exactly what I was hoping for in an OTL amp and I def prefer it over the WA6SE I was using as my tube HP up until now -- taking nothing away from the Woo, which has been a solid, engaging amp for years in my system.

I've got a small stash of 6922s and equivelanets, NOS Teles and Tungsrams, Phillips and Amoperex etc., and will start playing around with those once I have a better handle of the stock sound. This is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #828 of 1,530
I have read that some of you have done some tube rolling and it has me intrigued. I like to hear from other owners that have replaced the short tubes (6N1P) and what your thoughts are. From Schiit I have one OTK7 and the other is a 6H1N (below the 6H1N I believe it reads 9108).

Oct 7, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #829 of 1,530
E8A97040-B5FC-4ECD-A45C-E43ACB3D9533.jpeg

I gave in. Ordered 10/4 delivered 10/6.

Switched supplied pair gain tubes to NOS Telefunken 6dj8.

Paired with Focal Stellias. So far the combination is fantastic.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #831 of 1,530
E8A97040-B5FC-4ECD-A45C-E43ACB3D9533.jpeg
I gave in. Ordered 10/4 delivered 10/6.

Switched supplied pair gain tubes to NOS Telefunken 6dj8.

Paired with Focal Stellias. So far the combination is fantastic.

Very nice! I've got some NOS Teles coming from a mate this weekend. Have tried some JAN/GEs to excellent effect and next up some vintage Amperex. But even with stock this amp is remarkably quiet and good-sounding. And it's ability to represent the dynamics of even very complex music is really something. I nearly jumped outta my seat when the harp blew hard on some Delta blues I was listening to last night.

Oct 8, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #832 of 1,530
It puts out about the same amount of heat as a 100W light bulb. I don’t notice it unless I put my hand above the tubes.

To put it into perspective, your average residential central AC system provides around 36,000-60,000 BTUs of cooling (high end homes probably a lot more). The folkvanger puts out around 340 BTUs of heat. Your spouse probably puts out around 200 BTUs sitting around and maybe 600-700 working out. Possibly 1200 if you’re married to a professional athlete.

That said, if you’re in a small room with only 150 CFM of supply air, you only have about 3000 BTUs of cooling in that room and the FV could raise the temperature by a couple degrees.
My spouse puts out around 2000 BTU's when she's talking, which is always. Folkvangr is almost like an air conditioner in comparison. 🤣

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #833 of 1,530
My spouse puts out around 2000 BTU's when she's talking, which is always. Folkvangr is almost like an air conditioner in comparison. 🤣
This "shouldn’t" be funny but man I had tears coming out LOL.

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #834 of 1,530
…what is the thermal output when you get sent to the 🐶🏠?…😳🥵

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #835 of 1,530
Was at CanJam SoCal and was digging the sound from the Chord Hugo TT2, while its priced out of my range I was wondering if there's something similar in sound for less. My friend also has an older Modius which I believe used an AKM chip(?) but I liked the sound from that as well. Currently have the Burson Composer which was just over $1k however I think my ears aren’t the biggest fan of ESS chips.

Oct 8, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #836 of 1,530
Was at CanJam SoCal and was digging the sound from the Chord Hugo TT2, while its priced out of my range I was wondering if there's something similar in sound for less. My friend also has an older Modius which I believe used an AKM chip(?) but I liked the sound from that as well. Currently have the Burson Composer which was just over $1k however I think my ears aren’t the biggest fan of ESS chips.
Why not try swapping the opamps in the conductor first to see if that gets you where you want to be?

Oct 8, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #837 of 1,530
Why not try swapping the opamps in the conductor first to see if that gets you where you want to be?

I've done so, got a pair of V6 classics, the change was small, even have the supercharger but still has that "wall of sound" effect compared to what I heard with other dacs

Oct 8, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #838 of 1,530
Chord Qutest

Same taps and FGPA as TT2. The AKM Modius is also good. I’m not a huge fan of many ESS implementations.

Oct 8, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #839 of 1,530
Chord Qutest

Same taps and FGPA as TT2. The AKM Modius is also good. I’m not a huge fan of many ESS implementations.
I see you have the Bifrost 2, how’s that one been?

Oct 8, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #840 of 1,530
I see you have the Bifrost 2, how’s that one been?
It’s nice.
Not as warm as OG Bifrost MB. Resolution and overall detail retrieval is okay. Soundstage not particularly wide or deep. Not nearly as good as Hugo 2 in those regards. overall it’s musical and non offensive—good all around DAC for all music genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back