Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #601 of 1,487
Curious what DACs (or other sources) folks are using with their Folkvangrs? Once mine arrives, I'll be connecting it to my Yggdrasil A2 and my turntable pre-amp. It's going in my two-channel rack where I have a well ventilated spot for it, and, mostly, because if I tried to put it in my headphone rig in the bedroom, it's guaranteed that I'd fall asleep, roll over and push a pillow on top of it, and burn the house down. <insert Talking Heads "Burning Down the House" here> ...

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #602 of 1,487
Curious what DACs (or other sources) folks are using with their Folkvangrs? Once mine arrives, I'll be connecting it to my Yggdrasil A2 and my turntable pre-amp. It's going in my two-channel rack where I have a well ventilated spot for it, and, mostly, because if I tried to put it in my headphone rig in the bedroom, it's guaranteed that I'd fall asleep, roll over and push a pillow on top of it, and burn the house down. <insert Talking Heads "Burning Down the House" here> ...
LOL! That would be bad. I prefer a warmer sound signature, but maybe not that warm. 🤣

I'm using a Bifrost 2 fed by USB from desktop PC running Tidal. Haven't tried anything else.

Sep 2, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #604 of 1,487
Modi multibit for me!

Sep 2, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #606 of 1,487
Gungnir (VCO model) here, fed by USB, with the Folkvangr stacked on top. :)

Sep 2, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #607 of 1,487
Shipped today :) ... BTW - ordered 28th Aug

Sep 2, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #609 of 1,487
Yggdrasil A2 via usb. I like my Schiit to line up. 😉
I've got mini-Schiit, midi-Schiit, and maxi-Schiit, so size is definitely a problem for me right now. Just don't ask my wife....she'll say its mini when it's most definitely maxi. :slight_smile:

I suppose I could get a Lokius and reduce the mismatch, but then I'd have to decide whether to get it in black or silver. Life shouldn't have to be this hard. 🤣

Schiit Sizes.jpg

Sep 2, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #610 of 1,487
I received my pair of BEL E88CC's from Brent Jessee today. They're equivalent (identical, even) to the Holland Amperex PQ type 6922's. I think I'm set for 6N1P-like tubes (I have two pairs of the "Rockets" and a pair of Mullard's) What I can tell you is that, at this point, all sound great, and it is really hard to compare them (also, they're all "new," so I guess they need some time to burn) Every time I plug a new pair my first thought is "Wow, these sound good!" but then again, that's what happens every-time.

Has anyone rolled their 6N6Ps and seen any improvement? I'm thinking of stocking a replacement set (and be done for the next 10+ years), and I'm wondering if I should dive once again into 300 hours of forum-reading, store-hunting, email-sending frenzy to get that-oh-so-sweet set of tubes, or just get 8 of the first I can find, at around $20 per head.

Sep 2, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #611 of 1,487
Once I get my amp, I am going to use the Digigram VX222E.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #612 of 1,487
I received my pair of BEL E88CC's from Brent Jessee today. They're equivalent (identical, even) to the Holland Amperex PQ type 6922's. I think I'm set for 6N1P-like tubes (I have two pairs of the "Rockets" and a pair of Mullard's) What I can tell you is that, at this point, all sound great, and it is really hard to compare them (also, they're all "new," so I guess they need some time to burn) Every time I plug a new pair my first thought is "Wow, these sound good!" but then again, that's what happens every-time.

Has anyone rolled their 6N6Ps and seen any improvement? I'm thinking of stocking a replacement set (and be done for the next 10+ years), and I'm wondering if I should dive once again into 300 hours of forum-reading, store-hunting, email-sending frenzy to get that-oh-so-sweet set of tubes, or just get 8 of the first I can find, at around $20 per head.
BEL never manufactured tubes, so it's entirely possible they are Holland Amperexes and were OEM'd for BEL with their logo.

Sep 2, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #613 of 1,487

I have some pricey Fotons that I haven't gotten around to trying yet. Have no idea if they'll offer any improvement. I'm almost hoping they don't 'cause there's still lots of availability on other 6N6P's, like a whole replacement set for $40:

1662154393491.png

Sep 2, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #614 of 1,487
I have some pricey Fotons that I haven't gotten around to trying yet. Have no idea if they'll offer any improvement. I'm almost hoping they don't 'cause there's still lots of availability on other 6N6P's, like a whole replacement set for $40:

1662154393491.png
Do not go down the Foton or MELZ path. There lies great danger (to your wallet).

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #615 of 1,487
Do not go down the Foton or MELZ path. There lies great danger (to your wallet).
LOL! Already been there. At least I know the way. 🤣

Fotons July.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back