Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #571 of 1,481
I believe the HD650 is 300ohms. Pretty sure about that. Should be right in the Folkvangr wheelhouse. I run my LCD4 on the Folkvangr and they pair well. High gain no impedance multiplier. The LCD4 is 200 ohms and somewhat difficult to drive. Only thing I notice is bass hits a little harder with my Ragnarok.

Sep 1, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #572 of 1,481
I have read through this entire thread and others have switched tubes or suggested switching out the tubes and the price can reach 1k in tube replacement.

It's important to remember that you don't have to replace the tubes. Tube rolling can be fun and rewarding. But it's not always essential, and sometimes it can be frustrating, disappointing, and expensive, particularly in amps with a variety of different tubes that can be rolled. Tube rolling can indeed yield lovely benefits. But if the prospect of fussing around with tubes is daunting to you, please note that it's not essential.

From what I've read online here and elsewhere, there are a very few amps that are notorious for not sounding good enough with their stock tubes. Some companies may sell amps without the best tubes in order to meet a certain price point for their products. The majority of amps, though, are perfectly fine with their stock tubes. Frankly, I should think that the engineers who design the amps know perfectly well which tubes offer the best sound for the right price. There may be better tubes out there, of course. But that doesn't mean the stock tubes will be unsatisfactory. Often it's a matter of tailoring the sound to suit your preferences with a given pair of headphones.

In the case of the Vangr of the Folk, I should think that Schiit choose tubes that, first and foremost, sound great, that are the right price, and that are sufficiently plentiful (the chapter in Jason's blog here said as much, iirc).

I would encourage you not to worry about tube rolling, then. If the amp sounds nice to you with your preferred headphones, go ahead and get it! If later on you feel the urge to experiment with tubes, then have at it! If not, don't worry about it!

--

The HD 650 are indeed 300 ohms: https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-US/p/hd-650/

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #573 of 1,481
Took a trip to the Schiit store in Santa Clarita from San Diego County just over 130 miles one way. I took my Denon AH-9200's and HD650's. The intent was just to listen to what they had. I have recently started using headphones since my wife of 36 years does not share my enthusiasm for my 2-channel system in my man cave. So as the saying goes, happy wife happy life. Started out with the HD650’s (open back) and my wife could hear what I was listening to and so I started the search for some closed back headphones. Then I purchased the AH-9200’s. My headphone journey started back in February of this year.

It was great trip even though we spent over 5 hours on the road round trip. They had the Folkvangr connected to the Gungnir DAC. I enjoyed the sound but the Folkvangr was lacking in power when I connected my HD650’s even the gain switch in the high position. Interesting enough I watched a video interview (Texas Audio Roundup – The Audio Belle) with Jason and he stated the HD6XX are not good pairing and stated the Folkvangr has a lot tubes but not a lot of power.

I was in the store for 3 hours listening to the different headphone amps and DAC’s. I purchased the Bifrost 2/64, Lokius, and Valhalla 2. However, I am still attracted to the Folkvnagr but the lack of power is concerning. Next month I plan to attend the SOCAL Can Jam. I am going to listen to the ZMF VC headphones and I am considering buying them. My concern is the ZMF VC and HD650’s are both 300 ohms for impedance. Will the same problem be present with the lack of power / volume?

I have read through this entire thread and others have switched tubes or suggested switching out the tubes and the price can reach 1k in tube replacement. One tube amp from Amps and Sound I listened to at The Show in Long Beach this year was the Amps and Sound Ovation Rev 2 (Kenzie) and I really enjoyed that tube amp but the cost of admission at $4,200 puts it in a different league. But with the tube switch out on the Folkvangr closes the gap.

I am still within the return window with the Schiit gear until this upcoming Monday.
Congrats on your new Schiit! I’m a little surprised to read that the Folkvangr couldn’t drive the Senns. IIRC, the Folkvangr puts out twice as much power as the Valhalla 2 into 300 Ohms. The gain on the FV is a little lower than the V2, so you may be hearing that. In any case, there’s nothing wrong with saving $1400 if you like the less expensive amp better.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #574 of 1,481
Took a trip to the Schiit store in Santa Clarita from San Diego County just over 130 miles one way. I took my Denon AH-9200's and HD650's. The intent was just to listen to what they had. I have recently started using headphones since my wife of 36 years does not share my enthusiasm for my 2-channel system in my man cave. So as the saying goes, happy wife happy life. Started out with the HD650’s (open back) and my wife could hear what I was listening to and so I started the search for some closed back headphones. Then I purchased the AH-9200’s. My headphone journey started back in February of this year.

It was great trip even though we spent over 5 hours on the road round trip. They had the Folkvangr connected to the Gungnir DAC. I enjoyed the sound but the Folkvangr was lacking in power when I connected my HD650’s even the gain switch in the high position. Interesting enough I watched a video interview (Texas Audio Roundup – The Audio Belle) with Jason and he stated the HD6XX are not good pairing and stated the Folkvangr has a lot tubes but not a lot of power.

I was in the store for 3 hours listening to the different headphone amps and DAC’s. I purchased the Bifrost 2/64, Lokius, and Valhalla 2. However, I am still attracted to the Folkvnagr but the lack of power is concerning. Next month I plan to attend the SOCAL Can Jam. I am going to listen to the ZMF VC headphones and I am considering buying them. My concern is the ZMF VC and HD650’s are both 300 ohms for impedance. Will the same problem be present with the lack of power / volume?

I have read through this entire thread and others have switched tubes or suggested switching out the tubes and the price can reach 1k in tube replacement. One tube amp from Amps and Sound I listened to at The Show in Long Beach this year was the Amps and Sound Ovation Rev 2 (Kenzie) and I really enjoyed that tube amp but the cost of admission at $4,200 puts it in a different league. But with the tube switch out on the Folkvangr closes the gap.

I am still within the return window with the Schiit gear until this upcoming Monday.
The high impeadence of the 650 actually works to its benefit in terms of power with the design of the FV. It has an impedance multiplier switch to increase it for low impedance headphones like Grado.

With my 650, i never go above 12 o'clock on the fv personally.

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #575 of 1,481
Congrats on your new Schiit! I’m a little surprised to read that the Folkvangr couldn’t drive the Senns. IIRC, the Folkvangr puts out twice as much power as the Valhalla 2 into 300 Ohms. The gain on the FV is a little lower than the V2, so you may be hearing that. In any case, there’s nothing wrong with saving $1400 if you like the less expensive amp better.

Yeah, there's simply no way that the Folkvangr is underpowered for the HD-650. If the spec sheet is to be believed, the worst case scenario is it being able to supply 19VRMS to reach 1.2W RMS. That's enough to thoroughly deafen a person with a sine wave, or to hit transients that will make your eyeballs pop out of your head.

This might be more a case of the classic Sennheiser veil. The Folkvangr has a lower output impedance than most tube amps (especially if the impedance multiplier is on), and in my experience the HD-650 can sound a bit flat if they are over-damped. This can be *mistaken* for a lack of power.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #576 of 1,481

Just providing my opinion that Gungnir MB in SE is gimped. If Schiitr had the BF2/64 as the DAC, Folk would’ve sounded better IMHO

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #577 of 1,481
Senn HD660 is 150 ohms 😀.
YES! I had my 2nd coffee this morning and realized I was wrong. Came back to fix it, and you already clarified for me. You are a gentleman for calling me out nicely!!

Have a great day!

Leo

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #580 of 1,481
I believe the HD650 is 300ohms. Pretty sure about that. Should be right in the Folkvangr wheelhouse.
It is. I think it is in FV’s wheelhouse nicely as well. I’m running it with a HD6XX and really like the combo. Stock tubes, low gain, multiplier off. Mostly listening between 9-11 o’clock on the volume dial.
:L3000:

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #581 of 1,481
Thanks for all the replies to my post. What I should have said is the HD650’s did not get loud enough for me when connected to the Folkvangr. I just wanted a little more volume. When I connected my AH-9200’s to the Folkvangr it provided sufficient volume. Next to the Folvanger there was the Lyr and then the Vahalla. The Lyr provide a lot more volume with the HD650’s. What is an acceptable volume level will mean different setting levels for different people. My wife will be the first one to say I listening to music too loud, hence the reason I purchased headphones. I had to laugh when Jason referred to his store as the Schiiter on the video I watched. I may have to make the 130-mile journey again this weekend and listen to the Folkvangr again. Since I am home from work, it is time to choose a bourbon and listen to the Schiit stack. Which bourbon to pick is the question presently.

Attachments

• bourbon 1.jpg
    bourbon 1.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Bourbon.jpg
    Bourbon.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 1, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #582 of 1,481
Thanks for all the replies to my post. What I should have said is the HD650’s did not get loud enough for me when connected to the Folkvangr. I just wanted a little more volume. When I connected my AH-9200’s to the Folkvangr it provided sufficient volume. Next to the Folvanger there was the Lyr and then the Vahalla. The Lyr provide a lot more volume with the HD650’s. What is an acceptable volume level will mean different setting levels for different people. My wife will be the first one to say I listening to music too loud, hence the reason I purchased headphones. I had to laugh when Jason referred to his store as the Schiiter on the video I watched. I may have to make the 130-mile journey again this weekend and listen to the Folkvangr again. Since I am home from work, it is time to choose a bourbon and listen to the Schiit stack. Which bourbon to pick is the question presently.

I honestly don't understand how that is possible. Gungnir has 2 VRMS on its single ended output, and Folkvangr high gain is 6.5x voltage gain. Thus maximum volume would be as high as 13 VRMS. That isn't just loud, that is literally deafening, capable of reaching peaks of 126 dB.

For what it's worth, my absolute maximum listening level with the HD650 corresponds to about 0.5 VRMS. Anything higher is literally painful.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #583 of 1,481
Skip the bourbon tonight. Go directly to the Highland Park scotch.

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #584 of 1,481
Since I am home from work, it is time to choose a bourbon and listen to the Schiit stack. Which bourbon to pick is the question presently.
Ah, you’ve come to the right place…!

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #585 of 1,481
I honestly don't understand how that is possible. Gungnir has 2 VRMS on its single ended output, and Folkvangr high gain is 6.5x voltage gain. Thus maximum volume would be as high as 13 VRMS. That isn't just loud, that is literally deafening, capable of reaching peaks of 126 dB.

For what it's worth, my absolute maximum listening level with the HD650 corresponds to about 0.5 VRMS. Anything higher is literally painful.
I even asked the employee at the store if I had the gain switch in the correct postion. He came over and ensured everything was in the correct postion. Intresting enough when I asked why the Lyr sounded louder then the Folkvangr he told me the Lyr had more power. I can only tell you I had the volume knob all the way up and I wanted more volume. I may ask him to connect the Bifrost to the Folkvangr when I go back up there this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back