Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #617 of 1,487
Did anyone get a chance to compare FV against Freya+ as a preamp yet?
I just spent some hours listening to my Freya+, fresh from the courier this morning. I mostly compared it to my Lyr 3 to decide which one I wanted to keep; what I can tell you is that, to my ears (and with the headphones I tried, which are a set of Klipsch HP-3), the FV is quite superior to both in terms of clarity, emotional engagement, separation, and resolution.

I could not tell a difference between the Lyr and the Freya+ on headphones. Still, I could hear it on my loudspeakers: Lyr gives you a slightly more center-focused imaging, a powerful in-your-face performance, while Freya+ creates a subtle sphere of music that starts to resemble the FV, a slightly more open presentation. They are so close to one another that I'm only keeping the Freya+ because it gives me more connection options (I can hook up multiple sources to it), but if it were only for headphones, I'd keep the Lyr instead.

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #619 of 1,487
Thanks for all the replies to my post. What I should have said is the HD650’s did not get loud enough for me when connected to the Folkvangr. I just wanted a little more volume. When I connected my AH-9200’s to the Folkvangr it provided sufficient volume. Next to the Folvanger there was the Lyr and then the Vahalla. The Lyr provide a lot more volume with the HD650’s. What is an acceptable volume level will mean different setting levels for different people. My wife will be the first one to say I listening to music too loud, hence the reason I purchased headphones. I had to laugh when Jason referred to his store as the Schiiter on the video I watched. I may have to make the 130-mile journey again this weekend and listen to the Folkvangr again. Since I am home from work, it is time to choose a bourbon and listen to the Schiit stack. Which bourbon to pick is the question presently.
There is definitely something amiss there…. Just grabbed my 650s to confirm. Low gain about noon is just about right for me… 10 o’clock in high.
Full on in lowgain is crazy LOUD!!! Noon in high gain is uncomfortably loud…any louder is painful.
Here’s the thing…I’m fairly old(ish) and kinda hard of hearing …there’s just no way. You’d have to be pretty much deaf to not get enough volume.
Something was attenuated in the chain, not plugged in fully or there’s a malfunction somewhere. No question

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #620 of 1,487
I received my pair of BEL E88CC's from Brent Jessee today. They're equivalent (identical, even) to the Holland Amperex PQ type 6922's. I think I'm set for 6N1P-like tubes (I have two pairs of the "Rockets" and a pair of Mullard's) What I can tell you is that, at this point, all sound great, and it is really hard to compare them (also, they're all "new," so I guess they need some time to burn) Every time I plug a new pair my first thought is "Wow, these sound good!" but then again, that's what happens every-time.

Has anyone rolled their 6N6Ps and seen any improvement? I'm thinking of stocking a replacement set (and be done for the next 10+ years), and I'm wondering if I should dive once again into 300 hours of forum-reading, store-hunting, email-sending frenzy to get that-oh-so-sweet set of tubes, or just get 8 of the first I can find, at around $20 per head.
I’m in the process of burning in some Foton 6n6p’s… don’t notice anything different yet. Only have <20hrs on them though so it’ll take some time.
Have noticed some significant improvements with some 6922’s I also got from Brent. Curious to hear what you think of the Bel compared to the stock. Could use a few more pairs of alternatives.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #621 of 1,487
I’m in the process of burning in some Foton 6n6p’s… don’t notice anything different yet. Only have <20hrs on them though so it’ll take some time.
Have noticed some significant improvements with some 6922’s I also got from Brent. Curious to hear what you think of the Bel compared to the stock. Could use a few more pairs of alternatives.
I have a few pairs of Philips BEL E88CC - purchased a while ago from Upscale Audio (Kevin’s stash) - wonderfully open, extended midrange and treble - sinuous bass - spacious soundstage. When I use 6922 type tubes, I alternate between the BELs and Tungsram E88CCs.

Sep 3, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #622 of 1,487
I have a few pairs of Philips BEL E88CC - purchased a while ago from Upscale Audio (Kevin’s stash) - wonderfully open, extended midrange and treble - sinuous bass - spacious soundstage. When I use 6922 type tubes, I alternate between the BELs and Tungsram E88CCs.
I have a pair of Tungsrams that just landed in the US. With any luck they’ll be here in another week. Definitely looking forward to comparing them to the stock tubes.

Sep 3, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #623 of 1,487
I have a pair of Tungsrams that just landed in the US. With any luck they’ll be here in another week. Definitely looking forward to comparing them to the stock tubes.
I think you're in for a treat. If they are truly New old stock, be sure to give them some break-in time. 25 hours or so. IME, the Tungsrams are similar to many Russian tubes that can sound a little thin and have a bit of edge in the treble until they get a little play time and fully flesh out.

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #624 of 1,487
I think you're in for a treat. If they are truly New old stock, be sure to give them some break-in time. 25 hours or so. IME, the Tungsrams are similar to many Russian tubes that can sound a little thin and have a bit of edge in the treble until they get a little play time and fully flesh out.
I’m pretty sure they’re NOS. They come with the Tungsram boxes and I’ve attached the test reports. Sorry about the bluriness- the pics are screen captures on my iPhone from the EBay ad.
164E8E82-4344-4C6C-8B83-AB7B88C3D033.jpeg

D585878F-2E44-43EF-8A53-8768934E1638.jpeg

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #625 of 1,487
I’m pretty sure they’re NOS. They come with the Tungsram boxes and I’ve attached the test reports. Sorry about the bluriness- the pics are screen captures on my iPhone from the EBay ad.
164E8E82-4344-4C6C-8B83-AB7B88C3D033.jpeg
D585878F-2E44-43EF-8A53-8768934E1638.jpeg
Wow! That's a pretty impressive test report. Obviously done with a test setup that's a wee bit more modern than my Hickok. 🤣

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #626 of 1,487
Sep 3, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #627 of 1,487
Sep 3, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #628 of 1,487
I've got mini-Schiit, midi-Schiit, and maxi-Schiit, so size is definitely a problem for me right now. Just don't ask my wife....she'll say its mini when it's most definitely maxi. :slight_smile:

I suppose I could get a Lokius and reduce the mismatch, but then I'd have to decide whether to get it in black or silver. Life shouldn't have to be this hard. 🤣

Schiit Sizes.jpg
You know, you could take your own advice and once your Lokius arrives in whichever color they have on hand for fastest shipment, you can go down to your local hardware store, pick up a can of Krylon in whatever color you choose, and paint black/silver stripes on it to merge the solid silver and black together into one happy, if not dysfunctional family! :o2smile:

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #629 of 1,487
You know, you could take your own advice and once your Lokius arrives in whichever color they have on hand for fastest shipment, you can go down to your local hardware store, pick up a can of Krylon in whatever color you choose, and paint black/silver stripes on it to merge the solid silver and black together into one happy, if not dysfunctional family! :o2smile:
I would never take my own advice. That would be bad. 🤣 🤣

I ordered a silver Lokius last night though....

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #630 of 1,487
I would never take my own advice. That would be bad. 🤣 🤣

I ordered a silver Lokius last night though....
My mantra: Do as I say, not as I do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back