Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Feb 21, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #2,521 of 2,799
I received my Bimby (Bifrost Multibit) today and wanted to share some early impressions.  I've got it connected to my Jotunheim and was comparing the Bimby to the Jot's internal DAC.

First, out of the box the Bimby feels very heavy and well built.  One slight annoyance is Schiit changed the aluminum finish on the Jotunheim, so the two devices don't entirely match; to the casual glance, they look a slightly different shade of grade.  I'll get over it.

I was a little worried that after spending $600 on the Bimby, I'd find the difference between it and the Jot's internal DAC to be negligible.  When I previously compared the internal DAC to my Chord Mojo, that was the case - but thankfully, the Bimby is clearly superior.  It's hard to quantify the difference; at first, I would have said the Jot's internal DAC sounded 98% of the Bimby's performance, but in time the difference becomes more noticeable, so now the internal DAC has dropped down to 95% or less in my estimation - and I expect the Bimby to only get better as it burns-in (or even just warms up, since some owners report it sounds better after being powered for a couple days), and as my ears get more time to discern the subtle differences.

To compare two two DACs, I had separate Macs connected and used Audirvana synced with the same tracks.  I could then switch between the two, though I had to slightly adjust the volume knob to match volumes as I switched.

So what sounds different?  The Bimby sounds much more detailed, making nuances more noticeable on the Bimby.  At first I could hear the difference most clearly in the bass region (and also there was more authority in the bass on the Bimby, which is likely due to the improved power supply), but as I focused in on various instruments I could hear the difference across the entire frequency range.  Being a guitarist and keyboard player I know well the sound of acoustic guitar, acoustic piano, etc - and the Bimby conveys the realism much better, and exposes nuances in the timbre and articulation.  A good example is the fretboard/string buzz on a plucked upright bass, where the Bimby clearly reproduces it with more realism and detail.  And forgetting nitpicking the differences between the two, the Bimby just better conveys the magic of music better.

Is it worth $600?  I think many would likely be happy with the internal DAC (which is an incredible value) or the Modi Multibit (at least from what others say, since I haven't heard it).  For me though, I wanted the Bifrost's form factor and built in power supply - and the upgradability is a bonus.  I think it'll be my end-game DAC, so with that in mind it's worth the $600.

BTW, I haven't done a direct comparison of the Bimby and the Chord Mojo, but relative to the difference between the two and the Jot's internal DAC, I would say with some certainty the Bimby would be better.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,522 of 2,799
  I received my Bimby (Bifrost Multibit) today and wanted to share some early impressions.  I've got it connected to my Jotunheim and was comparing the Bimby to the Jot's internal DAC.

First, out of the box the Bimby feels very heavy and well built.  One slight annoyance is Schiit changed the aluminum finish on the Jotunheim, so the two devices don't entirely match; to the casual glance, they look a slightly different shade of grade.  I'll get over it.

I was a little worried that after spending $600 on the Bimby, I'd find the difference between it and the Jot's internal DAC to be negligible.  When I previously compared the internal DAC to my Chord Mojo, that was the case - but thankfully, the Bimby is clearly superior.  It's hard to quantify the difference; at first, I would have said the Jot's internal DAC sounded 98% of the Bimby's performance, but in time the difference becomes more noticeable, so now the internal DAC has dropped down to 95% or less in my estimation - and I expect the Bimby to only get better as it burns-in (or even just warms up, since some owners report it sounds better after being powered for a couple days), and as my ears get more time to discern the subtle differences.

To compare two two DACs, I had separate Macs connected and used Audirvana synced with the same tracks.  I could then switch between the two, though I had to slightly adjust the volume knob to match volumes as I switched.

So what sounds different?  The Bimby sounds much more detailed, making nuances more noticeable on the Bimby.  At first I could hear the difference most clearly in the bass region (and also there was more authority in the bass on the Bimby, which is likely due to the improved power supply), but as I focused in on various instruments I could hear the difference across the entire frequency range.  Being a guitarist and keyboard player I know well the sound of acoustic guitar, acoustic piano, etc - and the Bimby conveys the realism much better, and exposes nuances in the timbre and articulation.  A good example is the fretboard/string buzz on a plucked upright bass, where the Bimby clearly reproduces it with more realism and detail.  And forgetting nitpicking the differences between the two, the Bimby just better conveys the magic of music better.

Is it worth $600?  I think many would likely be happy with the internal DAC (which is an incredible value) or the Modi Multibit (at least from what others say, since I haven't heard it).  For me though, I wanted the Bifrost's form factor and built in power supply - and the upgradability is a bonus.  I think it'll be my end-game DAC, so with that in mind it's worth the $600.

BTW, I haven't done a direct comparison of the Bimby and the Chord Mojo, but relative to the difference between the two and the Jot's internal DAC, I would say with some certainty the Bimby would be better.

Use coaxial with Bimby and it again goes up one notch ahead. Try it with a blu-ray player that can play CDs and be wowed hehe.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #2,523 of 2,799

Use coaxial with Bimby and it again goes up one notch ahead. Try it with a blu-ray player that can play CDs and be wowed hehe.

I have to agree with this. I use my DX80 as a transport all the time instead of USB. It just sounds better.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,525 of 2,799
Interesting post from baldr over on the modi multibit forum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/815368/happy-as-a-pig-in-schiit-introducing-modi-multibit/2430#post_13287373

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #2,528 of 2,799
I'm still waiting for the balanced multibit version of bifrost to pair with my jotty... :p

From what I've read that doesn't seem possible but then making a Modi MB was considered impossible at one time. Even if the Schiitboys pulled it off that wouldn't be upgrade-worthy (sonically & financially) enough for me because SE Bifrost Multibit or SE Modi Multibit into my Jot is good enough for me. The next Bifrost upgrade would need to be truly "hair raising" for me to upgrade my Bifrost MB or even my Bifrost 4490 for that matter.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #2,529 of 2,799
... Even if the Schiitboys pulled it off that wouldn't be upgrade-worthy (sonically & financially) enough for me because SE Bifrost Multibit or SE Modi Multibit into my Jot is good enough for me. The next Bifrost upgrade would need to be truly "hair raising" for me to upgrade my Bifrost MB...

Same here.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #2,533 of 2,799
  Just remember, you don't have to jump on every upgrade the second it becomes available... that's what I tell myself anyway!

I too just upgraded my Bifrost Uber to Multibit. Love it!! Really organic/analog sounding.

Yes, we do...

L3000.gif

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #2,534 of 2,799
I was using my Bifrost Multibit in a stereo rig at home for a while, but moved my old Marantz AV7701 into that rig for better dialog intelligibility during movies, which worked well. I now have my Bifrost back in my office setup. Was using DX80 into my Asgard 2, but now using the DX80 as a transport into the Bifrost once again. It is crazy how much more bass detail there is, especially after the Bifrost was left on for two days. It started out a little ill-defined and loose, but now the impact that I was missing before seems to be back. It's totally nuts how the Bifrost can improve timing and accuracy so much that the perception of impact goes way up. I'm really not feeling the need to upgrade headphones again, phew! Now I can focus on my vinyl rig and room treatments once more.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #2,535 of 2,799
  Just remember, you don't have to jump on every upgrade the second it becomes available... that's what I tell myself anyway!

I too just upgraded my Bifrost Uber to Multibit. Love it!! Really organic/analog sounding.

That's my thinking, too. Love my Bifrost Multibit ( recently acquired ) and am hoping if ( when ) the upgrade bug hits, I'll have some option from Baldr to consider at around $300 that reflects another year or two of their genius at work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back