Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Nov 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #2,416 of 2,799

I agree - both of those disc spinners are excellent in their own right. You'll probably find it difficult to improve on their performance.

What's even more interesting is that when comparing the Bifrost 4490 with the Modi MB ON THIS SYSTEM, all things being equal, even the differences between DACS is incredibly miniscule.  

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #2,417 of 2,799
  What's even more interesting is that when comparing the Bifrost 4490 with the Modi MB ON THIS SYSTEM, all things being equal, even the differences between DACS is incredibly miniscule.  

That being said, I can definitely hear the difference in quality between my Audioengine D1 DAC and FiiO X5ii DAC when comparing to any of my Schiit DACs.

When I feed my FiiO X5ii co-axial out (hence pure digital out) into any of my Schiit DACs I am able to discern differences between the 4490 and Multibit DACs, not huge but slightly different.  I am hard pressed to hear much, if any, difference between my Bifrost MB and Modi MB.

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2,418 of 2,799

I don't find that surprising at all.  DACs are not transducers.  The differences (between competent DACs) are subtle, at best.

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #2,419 of 2,799
That being said, I can definitely hear the difference in quality between my Audioengine D1 DAC and FiiO X5ii DAC when comparing to any of my Schiit DACs.

When I feed my FiiO X5ii co-axial out (hence pure digital out) into any of my Schiit DACs I am able to discern differences between the 4490 and Multibit DACs, not huge but slightly different.  I am hard pressed to hear much, if any, difference between my Bifrost MB and Modi MB.

I should have clarified that the above post relates to my separate headphone listening setups (Jotunheim/Bimby, Lake People G109S/Modi MB and Vali 2).

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #2,421 of 2,799
Anyone got advice on how to get bit-perfect to work on window 10 through foobar? 

I tried searching this thread but there was no answer. On schiit web site there are reference to ASIO driver which does not cover window 10 . ASIO4ALL is not native support, so I am reluctant to use it.. 

Also I ran into a problem yesterday. TLDR: Plug Bimby into powered USB 2 hub solve my problem. 

The long story below:

I would like to share some of my experience and also strange problem which I solve regarding Schiit Bifrost Multibit. Hopefully it might be useful for other people who might runs into the same problem. After reading and lurking on SBF for quite while now I decided to buy Bifrost multibit as an upgrade to my internal dac of my Jotunheim. I was excited to be receiving my Bimby last week but ran into a strange background noise problem.

Power filter > PC (win10) > Bimby (rca) > Jotunheim

After connecting up Bimby into my system, I got a strange noise which I couldn't get rid off. I got noise only when USB is connected to Bimby. Jotunheim has been dead quite until now so I couldn't understand the problem. The strange thing is that noise persisted even after I turned off Bimby. Only when removing the USB from Bimby did the noise disappeared.   I have tried different USB port at the back of my computer, and it was no help. Reinstalling the driver didn't help.

Then I remember reading somewhere about Schiit USB decrepifier solving issues with noisy USB and it being similar to a typical USB hub. I remove the USB from the back of my computer and plug it into a factory hub at the back of my monitor and it solve all the noise problem.

Just thought I would share for those running into similar strange background noise problem. 
clear.png

wA3cFUE.jpg

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #2,422 of 2,799
Install foobar asio then configure the output to ASIO: Schiit USB Gen 2 or something like that. I use W4S uLink as my ASIO transport rather than Schiit's USB module for my Bifrost Multibit

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,423 of 2,799
  Anyone got advice on how to get bit-perfect to work on window 10 through foobar? 

I tried searching this thread but there was no answer. On schiit web site there are reference to ASIO driver which does not cover window 10 . ASIO4ALL is not native support, so I am reluctant to use it.. 

Also I ran into a problem yesterday. TLDR: Plug Bimby into powered USB 2 hub solve my problem. 

Kdcharng:

Maybe it’s time to move on from Foobar.  I too, am using Windows 10, but I’m running JRiver and couldn’t be happier.  After installing the Schiit USB Gen 2 driver, I go into the JRiver application Options, choose Audio Device and click on Schiit USB Audio Gen 2 [WASAPI].  Very quiet.

And musical:
JRiver on PC(win 10) > UBS > AQ Jitterbug > Bimby (rca) > Liquid Carbon 2 (balanced) > HD650  

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #2,424 of 2,799
There has been some discussion over at the "Happy as a Pig in Schiit:  Introducing Modi Multibit" thread raising the question about Bifrost upgradeability that inspired me to leave a reply on that thread.  I believe it's worth repeating on this thread too and more relevant to Bifrost owners.

It's too bad that upgradability is so expensive, especially when you have to add shipping (even more so if you live outside of the U.S.).  I liked the initial Bifrost upgrades to Uber and then to 4490 as the boards were reasonably priced and the upgrade was easy to do yourself.  This made sense and I appreciated this unique upgradable marketing philosophy.

However what's confusing is when they introduced the Modi Multibit and priced it lower than the upgrade cost to the Bifrost Multibit (when considering that you HAVE to send your unit back to Schiit to be upgraded).  So what's the point of upgrading now when you could simply buy the comparable performing Mimby?  So great, I have an upgradable Bifrost that isn't financially viable to be upgraded.  Leaves me feeling like I've been hung out to dry (aka...ripped off).

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,425 of 2,799
  There has been some discussion over at the "Happy as a Pig in Schiit:  Introducing Modi Multibit" thread raising the question about Bifrost upgradeability that inspired me to leave a reply on that thread.  I believe it's worth repeating on this thread too and more relevant to Bifrost owners.

It's too bad that upgradability is so expensive, especially when you have to add shipping (even more so if you live outside of the U.S.).  I liked the initial Bifrost upgrades to Uber and then to 4490 as the boards were reasonably priced and the upgrade was easy to do yourself.  This made sense and I appreciated this unique upgradable marketing philosophy.

However what's confusing is when they introduced the Modi Multibit and priced it lower than the upgrade cost to the Bifrost Multibit (when considering that you HAVE to send your unit back to Schiit to be upgraded).  So what's the point of upgrading now when you could simply buy the comparable performing Mimby?  So great, I have an upgradable Bifrost that isn't financially viable to be upgraded.  Leave me feeling like I've been hung out to dry (aka...ripped off).

And you were hung out to dry or ripped off how?

Since you have no idea of what the next Bifrost upgrade could be how can you determine it is not financially viable?  With the next upgrade the Bimby would in all likely hood surpass the Mimby's  current performance.

In addition to upgrade ability the Bifrost also has a better power supply than the Mimby.

Very pleased with my Bimby and consider it to be a great piece of equipment.  That said the Mimby great is too.  And at its price point cannot be beat...

beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #2,426 of 2,799
  And you were hung out to dry or ripped off how?

Since you have no idea of what the next Bifrost upgrade could be how can you determine it is not financially viable?  With the next upgrade the Bimby would in all likely hood surpass the Mimby's  current performance.

In addition to upgrade ability the Bifrost also has a better power supply than the Mimby.

Very pleased with my Bimby and consider it to be a great piece of equipment.  That said the Mimby great is too.  And at its price point cannot be beat...

beerchug.gif

Had I held off buying my Bimby for a few months I could have simply bought the Mimby and saved a lot of $$$ while ending up with comparable performance...I know because I own both.  No matter how hard I try, I just can't hear the superiority of the better power supply that the Bimby has.

As I stated, upgradability costing $249 (the same price as the Mimby) seriously puts the upgradability philosophy into question...what's the point?  If however you could simply buy the board and upgrade the unit yourself, then that philosophy is financially relevant and brilliant.

I too am very pleased with the performance of my Bimby (and Mimby).  At this point I don't need anymore DAC's (I have 2 Bifrosts and the Mimby) so if Schiit is planning on upgrading the Bimby, for me, it will have to be something pretty significant AND most importantly financially viable.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #2,427 of 2,799
  Had I held off buying my Bimby for a few months I could have simply bought the Mimby and saved a lot of $$$ while ending up with comparable performance...I know because I own both.  No matter how hard I try, I just can't hear the superiority of the better power supply that the Bimby has.

As I stated, upgradability costing $249 (the same price as the Mimby) seriously puts the upgradability philosophy into question...what's the point?  If however you could simply buy the board and upgrade the unit yourself, then that philosophy is financially relevant and brilliant.

I too am very pleased with the performance of my Bimby (and Mimby).  At this point I don't need anymore DAC's (I have 2 Bifrosts and the Mimby) so if Schiit is planning on upgrading the Bimby, for me, it will have to be something pretty significant AND most importantly financially viable.

I cannot disagree more.

But to each his own...

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #2,428 of 2,799

​I've got news for you: that's not called "being ripped off" that's called you made a decision and it is what it is.  Stop whining.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #2,430 of 2,799
  I'm talking Schiit's upgradability marketing philosophy.  

Which they proudly discuss all the time.  You bought something.  You now regret that you didn't wait because you could have had something "better.".  Sorry, that's called commerce and it's part of any product.  Relax, quit bichin', and enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back