Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Aug 26, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #2,311 of 2,799
In our family we have a 2 year old iMac and a 9 year old one.  Have never had a problem with them kicking a DAC or anything else off of USB.  Sorry I don't know more how to fix your problem, but AFAIK it's not a systematic Mac problem.

I've had issues with USB since at least my first Intel iMac.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #2,312 of 2,799
Did one of the apple updates turn on power saving on USB? On the windows side ( iIKnow apple Kryptonite) some of us have to turn of power saving on USB because it will call USB stupidity such as what you are seeing.

Schiit has info on ways to fix USB power stuff. It's been a problem with the OS since before El Cap. I have this weird feeling that my video is drawing from a shared power source with USB, since the retailer hammered video and couldn't reproduce the problem.

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #2,313 of 2,799
I thought I found the problem by just changing out the bauded cable to the DAC, but I still had problems. Now I've unhooked everything except for the keyboard and the DAC and so far it's not flaking out.

SMC problem? I've unplugged the damned thing a few times, but geez....just....I know it's a 5 year old computer, but come on.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #2,314 of 2,799
USB is sensitive to power draw and to signal loss.

Try cleaning every USB cable connector you are using with contact cleaner.
My go to stuff is Caigs DeoxitGold.

The clue is when you unplugged all but the dac and keyboard.

If the contacts of the USB connectors get contaminated it will cause all manner of difficulties.

JJ

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #2,317 of 2,799
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out a problem I'm having with my computer/DAC.

I've been running the DAC since February. A little over a month ago, my 2011 iMac started giving me a grey, gridded screen, or black, or flickering. I brought it into a retailer who stress tested the video card, etc. and couldn't reproduce the problem. I got the iMac back and for a month, I haven't had any problems. Then it started up again two days ago. The only thing that helps prevent it is taking the DAC off my USB.

For reference, I'm running two USB external drives off one port (daisy-chained) and a FireWire 400 with FireWire 800 adapter. I'm also running a Kinesis Advantage ergo keyboard and a printer off the same bank of rear iMac ports. Finally, the Bifrost MB runs with a USB A to B cable - that cable has two chunky parts at the beginning and end (bauded?) that are supposed to improve the cable somehow.

I ordered a Schiit Wyrd via Amazon (to get it here faster) and a pack of USB A to B cables. I'm hoping it'll fix the problem.

Also for reference, as with all Macs I've owned since a Dual 857 'Buick' Powermac, the damned thing kicks my USB and/or FireWire drives every now and again, although I haven't had a problem with that for 2 years.

Im not actually sure what Wyrd will do, since Bifrost is powered, so I'm assuming it's not pulling much juice off the iMac USB, but I'm at my wits end. Since the problem doesn't usually happen when he DAC is disconnected, I'm hoping just having something between it and my iMac will make a difference. I've considered putting something between the Kinesis keyboard and the iMac too, but I dunno if it'll interfere with the keyboard.

I'm kind of stumped and frustrated by these issues and I really don't want to buy a new Mac for at least a year or two.

Oh yeah, I updated my OS to El Capitan yesterday hoping it would help. It hasn't.

Odd problem indeed.  Wish I could help with a troubleshooting scheme.  This backstory and configuration should be the background for a poster that says:

"friends do not let friends use a multipurpose pc for music reproduction" 
wink.gif

By that I mean you should have a dedicated computer transport for serious music listening.  All else will be compromise.  I have tried it on numerous machines and always have some sort of issue or another.  That may not be the case with everyone, but for a relatively small investment in a mac mini for dedicated audio use, your problems would be solved.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #2,318 of 2,799

Odd problem indeed.  Wish I could help with a troubleshooting scheme.  This backstory and configuration should be the background for a poster that says:

"friends do not let friends use a multipurpose pc for music reproduction" 
wink.gif

By that I mean you should have a dedicated computer transport for serious music listening.  All else will be compromise.  I have tried it on numerous machines and always have some sort of issue or another.  That may not be the case with everyone, but for a relatively small investment in a mac mini for dedicated audio use, your problems would be solved.

While I totally agree with you, I fear these are fighting words for some highly-tuned PC fans 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #2,319 of 2,799
  While I totally agree with you, I fear these are fighting words for some highly-tuned PC fans 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I agree that in general, "stock" Mac hardware seems to be a bit higher quality than that of a "generic" Dell / Lenovo / etc PC that you will buy in a big box store like Best Buy or Micro Center.  I think lower-end "commodity" PC hardware, combined with crapware-laden non-optimized system configurations that such PCs are generally shipped with are most likely the biggest culprits for people having trouble with USB audio. On the flip side, much like a gaming console situation, Apple only has to worry about a limited number of "known good" product variations for which to provide drivers.  (And even so, they still muck things up often enough in my experience...)

For me, the successful solution on the PC side of things has been to build my own high-quality "enthusiast grade" PCs.  I am not much of a gamer, but I build my PCs as if I were, and so far I have had very good luck with glitch-free USB audio on my machines.  There are several enthusiast PC component manufacturers who make good stuff, but personally, I have had success with ASUS motherboards and Seasonic power supplies specifically.  No problems whatsover with either my Bifrost 4490 or the Bimby upgrade on my system.

It used to be the case that you could build your own PCs from components cheaper than buying a ready-made system from Dell, etc, but several years back, that tide changed when the PC market started to crumble due to all the focus on mobile devices.  Nowadays, you can buy a big-box PC much cheaper than a comparably-spec'd "homebrew" enthusiast PC, but of course the way that the big manufacturers have been able to do that is by generally using the cheapest components possible. Now the market for build-your-own-PCs mostly seems to exist for the niche of people who care about quality and performance, so that's where the better components can be found.

All that said, if you have no need for a high-performing Windows PC for any other reason than playing audio, then of course in that case it certainly might make more sense to look at something like a dedicated Mac mini or HiFi Berry setup instead.  But in my experience, enthusiast-grade home-brew PCs are very capable of stable USB audio duties.

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2,320 of 2,799
Sep 18, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,321 of 2,799
@rsnblmn Apple isn't what they used to be. Many products have soldered in RAM with no upgrade path. Some are impossible to open and do anything with whatsoever. Their software is getting buggy and they're getting their share of security goofups.

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #2,322 of 2,799
  @rsnblmn Apple isn't what they used to be. Many products have soldered in RAM with no upgrade path. Some are impossible to open and do anything with whatsoever. Their software is getting buggy and they're getting their share of security goofups.

Totally agree, I'm certainly not an Apple fanboi by any means. I disagree with many of the directions they've taken over the past few years, particularly their seeming obsession with making every generation thinner for the sake of marketing. I'm just saying that in general, for a "store bought" general purpose computer, they tend to be higher quality than most, but for sure, they seem to be cutting corners to a degree like everyone else.

Anyway...I don't want to get too far off topic. Mainly just wanted to add my $0.02 as far as what USB audio setup has worked smoothly for me with my Bifrost, as least as far as stability / reliability, and lack of glitches or any other obvious issues goes. I don't feel I have golden enough ears these days to hear a difference with any high-end decrapifying products, etc, so for me, the main goal is that my source is reliable and sounds good to me. In my experience, the problem isn't Windows or PCs inherently, but moreso finding a reliable setup among the millions of possible combinations. I've found that as long as I buy PC components designed for reliability and high performance (i.e. "enthusiast grade"), I've had pretty good luck with most things "just working".

(I also admit I'm lucky enough to have an IT background, so for me, building my own PC is no more daunting than putting together a Lego kit. I realize that may not be the case for many people, so I do sympathize with those who are "stuck" buying stock PCs or trying to listen on a crappy PC provided by their employer...)

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #2,323 of 2,799

Totally agree, I'm certainly not an Apple fanboi by any means. I disagree with many of the directions they've taken over the past few years, particularly their seeming obsession with making every generation thinner for the sake of marketing. I'm just saying that in general, for a "store bought" general purpose computer, they tend to be higher quality than most, but for sure, they seem to be cutting corners to a degree like everyone else.

Anyway...I don't want to get too far off topic. Mainly just wanted to add my $0.02 as far as what USB audio setup has worked smoothly for me with my Bifrost, as least as far as stability / reliability, and lack of glitches or any other obvious issues goes. I don't feel I have golden enough ears these days to hear a difference with any high-end decrapifying products, etc, so for me, the main goal is that my source is reliable and sounds good to me. In my experience, the problem isn't Windows or PCs inherently, but moreso finding a reliable setup among the millions of possible combinations. I've found that as long as I buy PC components designed for reliability and high performance (i.e. "enthusiast grade"), I've had pretty good luck with most things "just working".

(I also admit I'm lucky enough to have an IT background, so for me, building my own PC is no more daunting than putting together a Lego kit. I realize that may not be the case for many people, so I do sympathize with those who are "stuck" buying stock PCs or trying to listen on a crappy PC provided by their employer...)

I've used the Schiit provided USB drivers on a variety of PCs (some built by myself) as well as laptops without any problems. Even works on a cheap Asus dual core Atom processor powered 11 inch laptop that I use as a media player with a bifrost or Modi 2 uber.

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,324 of 2,799
I've used the Schiit provided USB drivers on a variety of PCs (some built by myself) as well as laptops without any problems. Even works on a cheap Asus dual core Atom processor powered 11 inch laptop that I use as a media player with a bifrost or Modi 2 uber.

We're not just talking about working, we're talking about best performance...without the OS or drivers or USB chips getting in the way.

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #2,325 of 2,799
We're not just talking about working, we're talking about best performance...without the OS or drivers or USB chips getting in the way.

If it's working... it's working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back