Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Aug 8, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #2,296 of 2,799
These things can happen. When I first went to buy the Bifrost Multibit from my local vendor, I wanted to try it in the shop, and the optical input simply refused to work. It worked on USB but any attempt to connect an optical device simply didn't work.

Turns out it was a faulty unit, and I had to wait about 2 months for them to send it back to Schiit and receive a new one where all the inputs work.

Aug 8, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #2,299 of 2,799
i need help guys, i have a uber w/2nd gen usb and with the driver from schiit it works great, i just got a multibit and plugged it in and windows wont recognize it. is there a special driver for multibit? it does a light show for me and then clicking???
What audio program are you running? You may have to choose, in your program, what audio device to use. Also in the control panel you can go to Sounds. See if your uber is listed. If so make it the default audio device. I have found on my Bifrost that the startup roulette of lights sometime stops on coax. Make sure to choose the USB port.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #2,300 of 2,799
  i need help guys, i have a uber w/2nd gen usb and with the driver from schiit it works great, i just got a multibit and plugged it in and windows wont recognize it. is there a special driver for multibit? it does a light show for me and then clicking???

Use an external USB hub, should solve your problem. Otherwise, use the Optical input. Has worked great for me

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #2,301 of 2,799
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out a problem I'm having with my computer/DAC.

I've been running the DAC since February. A little over a month ago, my 2011 iMac started giving me a grey, gridded screen, or black, or flickering. I brought it into a retailer who stress tested the video card, etc. and couldn't reproduce the problem. I got the iMac back and for a month, I haven't had any problems. Then it started up again two days ago. The only thing that helps prevent it is taking the DAC off my USB.

For reference, I'm running two USB external drives off one port (daisy-chained) and a FireWire 400 with FireWire 800 adapter. I'm also running a Kinesis Advantage ergo keyboard and a printer off the same bank of rear iMac ports. Finally, the Bifrost MB runs with a USB A to B cable - that cable has two chunky parts at the beginning and end (bauded?) that are supposed to improve the cable somehow.

I ordered a Schiit Wyrd via Amazon (to get it here faster) and a pack of USB A to B cables. I'm hoping it'll fix the problem.

Also for reference, as with all Macs I've owned since a Dual 857 'Buick' Powermac, the damned thing kicks my USB and/or FireWire drives every now and again, although I haven't had a problem with that for 2 years.

Im not actually sure what Wyrd will do, since Bifrost is powered, so I'm assuming it's not pulling much juice off the iMac USB, but I'm at my wits end. Since the problem doesn't usually happen when he DAC is disconnected, I'm hoping just having something between it and my iMac will make a difference. I've considered putting something between the Kinesis keyboard and the iMac too, but I dunno if it'll interfere with the keyboard.

I'm kind of stumped and frustrated by these issues and I really don't want to buy a new Mac for at least a year or two.

Oh yeah, I updated my OS to El Capitan yesterday hoping it would help. It hasn't.

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #2,303 of 2,799
Personally I would just go for a powered USB hub with that kind of setup.

I've tried powered hubs before and the problem is that my Macs tend to kick them. It's hard to find one that doesn't cause some sort of conflict. If you know if a good one, I'm listening.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #2,304 of 2,799
I've tried powered hubs before and the problem is that my Macs tend to kick them. It's hard to find one that doesn't cause some sort of conflict. If you know if a good one, I'm listening.

You've already got one inbound, the Wyrd.

JJ

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #2,305 of 2,799
You've already got one inbound, the Wyrd.

JJ

But that's just for the DAC. It's probably a good idea to offload power for the drives too.

I mean, the iMac is 5 years old...I just don't want to spring for a new PC for a year or so.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #2,306 of 2,799
But that's just for the DAC. It's probably a good idea to offload power for the drives too.

I mean, the iMac is 5 years old...I just don't want to spring for a new PC for a year or so.

In our family we have a 2 year old iMac and a 9 year old one.  Have never had a problem with them kicking a DAC or anything else off of USB.  Sorry I don't know more how to fix your problem, but AFAIK it's not a systematic Mac problem.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2,307 of 2,799
From what little I can see from way over here, it seems like your system is suffering from too much current draw over your USB 'network'.
The Wyrd should help.

Do your HD's run on USB power or are they self powered?
If the former they may be pulling enough current to 'starve' the USB capabilities of your system, which can lead to the problems you are having.

Just a thought or 2.

JJ

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #2,308 of 2,799
From what little I can see from way over here, it seems like your system is suffering from too much current draw over your USB 'network'.
The Wyrd should help.

Do your HD's run on USB power or are they self powered?
If the former they may be pulling enough current to 'starve' the USB capabilities of your system, which can lead to the problems you are having.

Just a thought or 2.

JJ

All my drives are powered. They keyboard isn't and it's not a typical keyboard. It's a Dvorak Kinesis Advantage and has hardware/software on the keyboard for key assignment and QWERTY/Dvorak switching (including a few versions of Dvorak, I think). It seems that using Tidal, the BIMBY, and the KB are what's flaking the video.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #2,309 of 2,799
This is the keyboard:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004WSKHRW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472255826&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=kinesis+dvorak&dpPl=1&dpID=41r8D-cY35L&ref=plSrch

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #2,310 of 2,799
Did one of the apple updates turn on power saving on USB? On the windows side ( iIKnow apple Kryptonite) some of us have to turn of power saving on USB because it will call USB stupidity such as what you are seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back