Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 12, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #1,606 of 2,799
BiMBy has landed! Allowing it to warm up to room temperature before I hook it up and turn it on. Darned thing is freezing!

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #1,608 of 2,799
BiMBy has landed! Allowing it to warm up to room temperature before I hook it up and turn it on. Darned thing is freezing!

Smart move. Another downside to Midwest Winters is having to let electronics deliveries warm up / decondensate before plugging them in.

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #1,609 of 2,799

This is like an epic story. Next chapter, as the Bimby comes up to 72 degrees F. disastermouse will lose power.

No, but I did knock my headphones off the stand from the highest shelf. HE-500 so built like a tank. May have dented the floor, actually.

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,610 of 2,799
Holy Schiit, I finally have a sound stage with my HE-500. Also, there's more bass. I didn't expect it. Still a little sibilant and shouty, but I'm wondering if that's what was there and I didn't hear it before. Also, I have less than an hour on the thing.  

Can someone explain why I'd have more bass and a better sound stage with a DAC change? I mean...mechanically or electrically, what's going on there?

Now...

(How do I hide this huge chunk of metal from girlfriend?)

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,612 of 2,799
Place a piece of new jewelry on top of it. Works for me. Glad you like your new Schiit

My girlfriend is not that kind of girl. It's usually a good thing, LOL. Holy heck, the sound stage is so much wider. I hear vocal space cues that I didn't before. This is really weird. I can hear strumming up strokes that faded into the background before. Vocal reverb too. This sounds like live instruments for acoustic stuff.

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,613 of 2,799
  Holy Schiit, I finally have a sound stage with my HE-500. Also, there's more bass. I didn't expect it. Still a little sibilant and shouty, but I'm wondering if that's what was there and I didn't hear it before. Also, I have less than an hour on the thing.  

Can someone explain why I'd have more bass and a better sound stage with a DAC change? I mean...mechanically or electrically, what's going on there?

Now...

It will get better. you need about 3-4 more hours of warm up time. I am glad your HP's survived

As far as Hiding it from your girlfriend. Your Screwed. All you can do now is take preemptive actions to mitigate the pain.Cook Dinner and Buy her something Sparkly. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,614 of 2,799

Now...

There is time-domain digital filtering as well as analog filtering that both affect the sound. As far as the DAC doing the 1's and 0's translation most DAC units do this flawlessly. I imagine, because spacial cues come from higher frequencies and phase, that your new gear either has more high frequency information or there is some phase difference developing. I always thought that the high frequencies are harder to capture with DAC units because the filter has to cut off the frequencies somewhere, but I guess this could occur in the bass too.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #1,615 of 2,799
My girlfriend is not that kind of girl. It's usually a good thing, LOL. Holy heck, the sound stage is so much wider. I hear vocal space cues that I didn't before. This is really weird. I can hear strumming up strokes that faded into the background before. Vocal reverb too. This sounds like live instruments for acoustic stuff.

It's a gem of a DAC. Enjoy your music all over again.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #1,616 of 2,799
It's a gem of a DAC. Enjoy your music all over again.

I keep looking behind me because it sounds like some sounds are happening in the room. This isn't even remotely the same experience as I was having before. This is qualitatively different. Most concert PAs don't sound this good, so even live music, unless it's totally acoustic, doesn't sound this good.

Geez, I'd always thought the amp was the weak link in my chain and that my DAC was up to the challenge of the HE-500. So, for those of you who've lived with both, on a percentage scale, how close is this to Yggy? 50%? 75%?

I can't believe this only cost $600.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,617 of 2,799

Now...

very pleased for you and i hope you and your better half enjoy it 
biggrin.gif

you could just hide it in plain sight and act as if everything is in it's rightful place 
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #1,618 of 2,799

I keep looking behind me because it sounds like some sounds are happening in the room. This isn't even remotely the same experience as I was having before. This is qualitatively different. Most concert PAs don't sound this good, so even live music, unless it's totally acoustic, doesn't sound this good.

Geez, I'd always thought the amp was the weak link in my chain and that my DAC was up to the challenge of the HE-500. So, for those of you who've lived with both, on a percentage scale, how close is this to Yggy? 50%? 75%?

I have the HE-500 as well and look forward to hearing the Bimby with it but am more excited about hearing it with my Magnepan 1.7i.  Does Schiit send a shipping confirmation?  I ordered yesterday.

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #1,619 of 2,799
I have the HE-500 as well and look forward to hearing the Bimby with it but am more excited about hearing it with my Magnepan 1.7i.  Does Schiit send a shipping confirmation?  I ordered yesterday.
I ordered yesterday at 0400 and got the shipping notice at 1325 (1:25PM). I did order next day FedEX, though. My girlfriend ordered her Modi 2 Uber earlier the night before. She got her notice around the same time.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #1,620 of 2,799

Glad you are liking it.  

As for live music, well yes most amped stuff is really bad, but some can be good and the good stuff and acoustic that is done live is way above what we will ever hear in our living rooms.  Just remember the last time you heard a drum kit live..............................................No comparison in your living room is it.

that being that, we can give ourselves a pretty nice illusion for sure.  As for comparison to the big dog.  While I have heard both the Yggy and Gumby in a reference system many times.  I will say that the Gumby gets you about 75% of the Yggy.  And if pressured to put a number on how much of the Gumby you get with the Bimby I would say maybe 75% again but it might not be that close. So a range of 60-75%.

Doing the math with Yggy at 1000 and Gumby at 750 and Bimby at .75 of that we get  562.5 or about 56% of the Yggy.  This is only ones persons math, so please be sure to hear them all and setup your own value system.  Remember there is a reason they make 3 Multibit dacs.  Still over 50% of the sound of the Yggy at about 30% of the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back