Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 13, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #526 of 2,799
Oct 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #527 of 2,799
It's the new toys syndrome, "everything must be perrrfectttt!" :imp: Solution? turn on the multifrost and put on a pair of headphones, let the therapy begins :smiley: All serious note, you will never touch that button anyways, heck I don't even know if I have ever touch that button before.

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #530 of 2,799
  Has anyone else experienced more Bimby burn in since running it? Maybe I've been getting more brave on the volume control since acquiring it but I can crank this sucker up and I get some impressive results with what I'm hearing. I hope it doesn't cause me to go deaf.

Yea, please watch that.  We all have the urge at times to supremely Rock Out!!  Hearing is a valuable sense that's made even more valuable by these supreme Schiit DAC upgrades.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #531 of 2,799
And what about the other way?
Can you crank it down further and still hear everything at a lower volume as well?

JJ

Yes, but not as much slam or "fun factor." Last night I got brave and listened to Tool "Pu****" from Ænima. I felt like I had an out of body experience.

I posted though that I felt maybe I would lose hearing at the volume I was listening at because there was no digital harshness or treble pain. Just lightning quick drums and speed on the cymbals.

So I kept pushing the volume higher and higher and then I realized this is a better DAC than the Theta DS Pro Progeny as far as accuracy and speed goes. The Theta has a slight advantage when listening to bassy tracks and give me more "weight" at a lower position on the volume knob. The Bifrost MB is just more accurate I think with a slightly different "burrito filter" soundstage.

Bifrost MB is a keeper
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #532 of 2,799

Yes, but not as much slam or "fun factor." Last night I got brave and listened to Tool "Pu****" from Ænima. I felt like I had an out of body experience.

I posted though that I felt maybe I would lose hearing at the volume I was listening at because there was no digital harshness or treble pain. Just lightning quick drums and speed on the cymbals.

So I kept pushing the volume higher and higher and then I realized this is a better DAC than the Theta DS Pro Progeny as far as accuracy and speed goes. The Theta has a slight advantage when listening to bassy tracks and give me more "weight" at a lower position on the volume knob. The Bifrost MB is just more accurate I think with a slightly different "burrito filter" soundstage.

Bifrost MB is a keeper
smily_headphones1.gif

Been a drummer for most of my 60+ years.  You got me droolin' !!!!!!  My UberFrost just shipped out priority mail today.  Wish the MultiFrost would make it back by the weekend but I'm going to have to wait.  I already know it's going to be more than worth it on my rig.
GREAT description wahsmoh...appreciate the impressions.  (Refined) Volume forever.  It's the only way to the real timbre.
My WA2 and recabled T1's are very good at that...the Multifrost will make it all that much better.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #534 of 2,799
Eminem-Rap God 16/44 .wav 
Buber-bass will blow your face off
Bimby-bass is gone. 

I've edited this to just one comment of yours. All of your comments about the difference in sound make me think the same thing: The Bifrost MB is out of phase. Meaning: The left and right channels are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. I could be wrong. But EVERYTHING you'd described sounds like out of phase. INCLUDING your description of Hotel California sounding "bigger" than before. Out of phase makes mids and highs sound diffuse; it adds artificial surround type effects that our brains interpret as "big venue". Unless your comments are about very subtle changes?

What's the best way to test this... Hmm... Probably a sine wave at a low frequency. Say 100 Hz or below.

Brian.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #535 of 2,799

Bifrost MB is a keeper
smily_headphones1.gif

It's refreshing to see all of the Tool love in this thread. Make sure you listen to Salival when you get a chance. The Bimby really gets to strut its stuff with the live recordings. In fact, I find myself listening through all of my live recordings with the Bimby to get a taste of the venue that I never got from the Buber. I used to be all about that Bass when I first got into headphone audio - then it was detail, then smoothness, and now soundstage/space. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #536 of 2,799
I've edited this to just one comment of yours. All of your comments about the difference in sound make me think the same thing: The Bifrost MB is out of phase. Meaning: The left and right channels are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. I could be wrong. But EVERYTHING you'd described sounds like out of phase. INCLUDING your description of Hotel California sounding "bigger" than before. Out of phase makes mids and highs sound diffuse; it adds artificial surround type effects that our brains interpret as "big venue". Unless your comments are about very subtle changes?

What's the best way to test this... Hmm... Probably a sine wave at a low frequency. Say 100 Hz or below.

Brian.

Oh, thank whatever higher power I believe in this week.

I will contact Schiit tomorrow.

I went in expecting subtle changes and got anything but.

In the meantime I will remove my initial impressions.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #540 of 2,799

Brian.

Take a breath...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back