Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 25, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #916 of 2,799
  As I described in my earlier post, I also got that horrible sawtooth-like sound when I switched from 24/88.2 to 16/44.1, which was fixed by turning Bimby off and on and waiting for the LEDs to stop switching. I suspect there's something iffy in the switching between sample rates, maybe around the protocol negotiation between the USB source and Bimby. But my source is not that usual, a SOtM sMS-100 (now discontinued), a small Linux box with some proprietary software on top of MPD 0.18.11, so we may be seeing similar behavior with different sources.

Yes.  I'm using iTunes library running through Amarra, and we seem to be experiencing the same problem.  Glad it's "fixable" when we cycle the Bimby, but we need to find out from Schiit how to address it for good.

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #917 of 2,799
Noticing many of the secondary instruments in my flac files have now become  additional primary instruments.  So nice !!!
Multifrost adds 3 dimensionality and soul to the smallest pieces of the puzzle.  Whole new ballgame in tone and engagement.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #918 of 2,799
Got my Bimby upgrade today, and happy!  Really like the sound, it IS an upgrade from Uberfrost.  Better sense of space, and I'm hearing more resolution but in a natural way, not "etched".  Maybe a little stronger bass too sometimes, not sure.
But when I switch up to hi rez tracks (24/96 or 24/192 via USB), I get a terrible scratchy sound with high frequency noise while the music is playing.  Once I had it on 16/44 too, when I switched back down to that.  Each time I've solved it by stopping the music, cycling through the 3 inputs, and then it played fine.  Did not have to cycle it on and off.  So I can fix it in 10 seconds or less, each time.  But why does it do that?

There have been 3 or 4 reports of this issue with the Bimby on this thread using all kinds of source gear. I've emailed Schiit about it last weekend but haven't heard back.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #919 of 2,799
  Got my Bimby upgrade today, and happy!  Really like the sound, it IS an upgrade from Uberfrost.  Better sense of space, and I'm hearing more resolution but in a natural way, not "etched".  Maybe a little stronger bass too sometimes, not sure.
But when I switch up to hi rez tracks (24/96 or 24/192 via USB), I get a terrible scratchy sound with high frequency noise while the music is playing.  Once I had it on 16/44 too, when I switched back down to that.  Each time I've solved it by stopping the music, cycling through the 3 inputs, and then it played fine.  Did not have to cycle it on and off.  So I can fix it in 10 seconds or less, each time.  But why does it do that?

Happened to mine the first day I had the upgrade...probably did that scratchy sound 4 or 5 times when clicking on a new flac file.  I had yet to power off the unit for the first 24 hours.  Once I did and it did that long cycle through the lights when starting up again I have not had the issue since.  Fingers crossed but that's been nearly a week ago now.  It is very disconcerting.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #920 of 2,799
  Happened to mine the first day I had the upgrade...probably did that scratchy sound 4 or 5 times when clicking on a new flac file.  I had yet to power off the unit for the first 24 hours.  Once I did and it did that long cycle through the lights when starting up again I have not had the issue since.  Fingers crossed but that's been nearly a week ago now.  It is very disconcerting.

And it might be worth noting that you're using SPDIF out from your PC, not USB.

FWIW, I've never experienced any of these problems using Schiit's 1.16 drivers on Win 7 64-bit, USB out to Wyrd, Shorty cable to MultiFrost.  The only slightly annoying thing is the beginning of some tracks being cut off when switching bit-depth/sample rate, but that's a known shortcoming.

Hopefully Schiit not replying means they're busy testing on the various source systems they're sure to have access to, and that they'll be able to speak to this soon.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #921 of 2,799

And it might be worth noting that you're using SPDIF out from your PC, not USB.

True, no USB.  Coaxial from soundcard to Multibit to amp.  Like I said, I got that screeching sound on quite a few songs that first day.  It would fix itself if I manually pushed the input button...but the problem kept occurring, even though infrequently.  The unit had run without being turned off for the first 24 hours (I planned on leaving it run 24/7 from what I'd read).  I turned it off/on as kind of a desperate attempt to fix the 'problem'.
I was surprised how long the three lights cycled in sequence when I did power it back up...seemed like close to a minute.  But once it did, as I  mentioned above, I have not had the issue since.  And I have not powered down the unit since as well.  Weird...but apparently the issue  was not just with me.  But others don't seem to be getting the permanent 'fix' I did.  (Haha, I'm sure I just jinxed myself)

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #923 of 2,799
OK! So I tried to order the bifrost multibit from Schiit Europe - I made a mistake. It was totally my mistake. I managed to order the bifrost Uber instead. I instantly suspected that this is what I had some how managed to do and instantly emailed to confirm my mistake and ask Schiit to hold off on fulfilling the order but to instead inform me how much it would cost for me to upgrade my order and let me know how to pay.

I emailed three times and completed the online contact form without hearing anything back. I also sent two private messages here to Jason Stoddard out of desperation. I finally heard back from Schiit on the day I received the DAC - with all of my emails in the contact string but without a response to any one of them. The email simply told me that the item had been posted. Well, it was certainly my fault for ordering the wrong item in the first place but the level of contact was far from what I would have expected.

With that said, I have connected the Bifrost Uber and I was expecting to write a very schitty email here about customer service - however I was blown away by the Uber. It sounds amazing and I really can't stress this enough. As a result my frustration has been rather tempered. Given my experience so far I very much doubt that I will ever hear from Schiit again but then again, the Uber has blown me away and exceeded my expectations even of the multibit! I can only imagine what the multibit sounds like!

I am uploading a photo here to remind anyone reading this how awesome the Lyr and bifrost look together and to show off the Grado mods that the awesome system inspired me to complete today :wink:!!

In sum - Schiit customer service but Schiit hot products - ultimately I know which one is more important but...

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #925 of 2,799
Hmmm, the un-answered e-mails don't sound like the regular Schiit experience.  I've dealt with these folks, always with good results:

Nick - tech@schiit.com
Laura - info@schiit.com

Hope this helps -
RCB

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #926 of 2,799
  OK! So I tried to order the bifrost multibit from Schiit Europe - I made a mistake. It was totally my mistake. I managed to order the bifrost Uber instead. I instantly suspected that this is what I had some how managed to do and instantly emailed to confirm my mistake and ask Schiit to hold off on fulfilling the order but to instead inform me how much it would cost for me to upgrade my order and let me know how to pay.

I emailed three times and completed the online contact form without hearing anything back. I also sent two private messages here to Jason Stoddard out of desperation. I finally heard back from Schiit on the day I received the DAC - with all of my emails in the contact string but without a response to any one of them. The email simply told me that the item had been posted. Well, it was certainly my fault for ordering the wrong item in the first place but the level of contact was far from what I would have expected.

With that said, I have connected the Bifrost Uber and I was expecting to write a very schitty email here about customer service - however I was blown away by the Uber. It sounds amazing and I really can't stress this enough. As a result my frustration has been rather tempered. Given my experience so far I very much doubt that I will ever hear from Schiit again but then again, the Uber has blown me away and exceeded my expectations even of the multibit! I can only imagine what the multibit sounds like!

I am uploading a photo here to remind anyone reading this how awesome the Lyr and bifrost look together and to show off the Grado mods that the awesome system inspired me to complete today :wink:!!

In sum - Schiit customer service but Schiit hot products - ultimately I know which one is more important but...

Not nice to say but the problem you had is called Schiit Europe. I'm sure they also offer service like they're expected to but it's certainly not the first time I'm seeing their name mentioned in a bad way.

Oct 27, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #930 of 2,799
  Thanks for your sharing. I am still considering if I should upgrade my bifrost uber now. Just bought it 2 months ago.
confused_face.gif

do you like how it sounds? if yes then id say hang on to it for a little while and enjoy, after 8 weeks is very short time to feel the need to upgrade.

remember multibit upgrade doesnt make your uber suddenly bad! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back