Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Dec 30, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #2,761 of 2,799
Upgraded from Jotunheim Multibit to Bifrost Multibit GEN5. Was a little worried that it would be a side grade, as people say MIMBY sounds so close to BIMBY, and the Multibit module was "supposed" to equal MIMBY's performance, at least that's the impression you get from Schiit.

I've never heard a MIMBY, but I now own JOT+Multibit Module and a Bifrost Multibit GEN5. Im not going to sugar coat it here ~ the difference is stark. The multibit module is in no way competitive with Bimby. I was prepared to sell the bimby and move on if I heard no significant difference. I was rather skeptical. I won't be getting rid of the Bimby to say the least. Considering other's have stated MIMBY is close to BIMBY, I must conclude that it is also significantly better then the multibit module.

My biggest complaint with Multibit Module was treble glare, and a 2D, closed type of flat soundstage, and the inability to "keep up" with music that had alot of high frequency sound, things would sound conjested, and generally collapse. Particularly effecting POP/Electronica. Country and Classical, blues, etc sounded alot better. Bimby has dramatically better resolution/texture. I blame most of these negative traits on the module's GEN2 interface, I did also have a W4S Recovery that I used with the Multibit module and noticed significant improvements when using it. Not enough of an improvement to make me satisfied with it, but it was an improvement.

Testing the same W4S recovery with the GEN5 interface is much less obvious, I need more listening time to form any solid conclusions, with GEN2 it's immediately obvious, not so much with GEN5.

I also owned the Original GEN1 4490 Dac Module, and was not so impressed with that either. I've heard anecdotal reports that the GEN2 4490 module is a large improvement and competitive with MODI 2. Im parroting here, but I've also heard the GEN2 4490 is better than the Multibit module. I can't reccomend the Multibit module, so those who are considering upgrading the JOT's dac, don't bother, just get a Modi/Bifrost or something else entirely.

Schiit's continual move to amp/dac's is interesting. Rumour's of an Asgard 3 /w Module. They really need to get rid of GEN2 USB interface if they continue down this path. Im hopeful Mike's new USB interface will be able to fit on these module's in the future, even if they must shed the isolation of GEN5. A smaller USB input board would also allow for more room in Bifrost for a larger analog board. Be nice to get rid of Bifrost op-amps.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #2,762 of 2,799
Upgraded from Jotunheim Multibit to Bifrost Multibit GEN5. Was a little worried that it would be a side grade, as people say MIMBY sounds so close to BIMBY, and the Multibit module was "supposed" to equal MIMBY's performance, at least that's the impression you get from Schiit.

I've never heard a MIMBY, but I now own JOT+Multibit Module and a Bifrost Multibit GEN5. Im not going to sugar coat it here ~ the difference is stark. The multibit module is in no way competitive with Bimby. I was prepared to sell the bimby and move on if I heard no significant difference. I was rather skeptical. I won't be getting rid of the Bimby to say the least. Considering other's have stated MIMBY is close to BIMBY, I must conclude that it is also significantly better then the multibit module.

My biggest complaint with Multibit Module was treble glare, and a 2D, closed type of flat soundstage, and the inability to "keep up" with music that had alot of high frequency sound, things would sound conjested, and generally collapse. Particularly effecting POP/Electronica. Country and Classical, blues, etc sounded alot better. Bimby has dramatically better resolution/texture. I blame most of these negative traits on the module's GEN2 interface, I did also have a W4S Recovery that I used with the Multibit module and noticed significant improvements when using it. Not enough of an improvement to make me satisfied with it, but it was an improvement.

Testing the same W4S recovery with the GEN5 interface is much less obvious, I need more listening time to form any solid conclusions, with GEN2 it's immediately obvious, not so much with GEN5.

I also owned the Original GEN1 4490 Dac Module, and was not so impressed with that either. I've heard anecdotal reports that the GEN2 4490 module is a large improvement and competitive with MODI 2. Im parroting here, but I've also heard the GEN2 4490 is better than the Multibit module. I can't reccomend the Multibit module, so those who are considering upgrading the JOT's dac, don't bother, just get a Modi/Bifrost or something else entirely.

Schiit's continual move to amp/dac's is interesting. Rumour's of an Asgard 3 /w Module. They really need to get rid of GEN2 USB interface if they continue down this path. Im hopeful Mike's new USB interface will be able to fit on these module's in the future, even if they must shed the isolation of GEN5. A smaller USB input board would also allow for more room in Bifrost for a larger analog board. Be nice to get rid of Bifrost op-amps.

Not surprising at all to me. The Bimby does have a dedicated power supply and yes Gen 5 USB is better. Though I now have a Yggy I still hold my Bimby in high regard. I sure hope Schiit upgrades the Bimby again. Would still upgrade my Bimby even though relegated to a second system.

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #2,763 of 2,799

The multibit module in the Jot most certainly does not equal the mimbys performance, at least sonically, and I know of no one that has ever said that it does, even Schiit themselves. The MB module in the Jot and Lyr 3 ok options more for the convenience of having an all in one solution. Passable but not as good as any standalone MB DAC.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #2,764 of 2,799
The multibit module in the Jot most certainly does not equal the mimbys performance, at least sonically, and I know of no one that has ever said that it does, even Schiit themselves. The MB module in the Jot and Lyr 3 ok options more for the convenience of having an all in one solution. Passable but not as good as any standalone MB DAC.
And yet TAS award the Jot + MB their Headphone Amplifier of the Year (2018)

(Myself, I haven't heard the Jot + MB, I have Bimby -> Jot)

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #2,765 of 2,799

Actually, it's very much hinted at on schiit's website that it does equal Mimby. There's also a RMAF interview from 2017 were they discuss it and also imply that it's a mimby in the jot... I watched the interview, and read the press release and believed the module would be mimby level performance. It was not until quite some time after release when people started actually comparing them that we discover it's not really that close. It took awhile for these to be compared because it's not normally something that someone would seek to own, if you have one your not likely to have the other. Let's take a look at a couple of qoutes from schiit about Multibit Module, taken directly from the website:

“It’s essentially a Modi Multibit with a single input—USB,” stated Mike Moffat, Schiit’s co-founder, and head of digital technology development. “One of the most popular orders at Schiit.com is a Modi Multibit and a Jotunheim. We’re now putting this capability in a single, convenient box.”

Unrivaled Flexibility
Select high or low gain with the flick of a front-panel switch, for compatibility with both easy-to-drive and hard-to-drive headphones. Select from two different DAC modules, a phono input module, or no module at all to tailor Jotunheim exactly to your needs.
  • Multibit DAC. Choose the optional Multibit DAC Module to get Schiit’s unique digital filter and multibit DAC architecture, as used in Modi Multibit, for $200.
  • AK4490 DAC. Or choose the more affordable AK4490 DAC module for a world-class delta-sigma DAC for only $100.
  • MM Phono. Or, choose the MM phono input module, for 42dB of gain and passive RIAA, for great phono sound, at only $100.

The above quotes would lead many to believe the Multibit Module is competitive with Mimby. Which is unfortunately not the case. It was particularly annoying for me, because I purchased the JOT with the GEN1 4490 card and was really looking forward to an upgrade module, I ordered the Multibit Module on the first day of availability. Took months for people to start actually saying that the module is behind mimby, and the consensus is now that the G2 4490 is actually better then the multibit module. I've now got 300$ invested into dac modules, and im not really pleased with any of them. Eventually I'll sell my JOT and recoup some of the value of the multibit module.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #2,766 of 2,799
Hello everyone,

I posted this in the help forum section, but think I might hopefully get some more help here.

So, recently bought an used Schiit Bifrost Multibit, which I received 2 days ago. Unit is 2.5 years old, but had the Gen 5 USB upgrade installed October last year. Have this weird problem though - getting a static noise whenever I'm listening to music and doing something on the PC at the same time (e.g. opening apps/programs, writing, browsing, etc - basically everything connected with some processor activity). Will list some stuff that I tried, or observed during these last 2 days, in hope that someone would help me fix the issue:

1. Problem is present only when there's music playing. If I pause it, there's no static noise whatsoever.
2. It doesn't matter if I use my main player (foobar2000 with WASAPI plugin), or another one (Winamp, Winodws Media Player etc) - the problem is always there.
3. Had a Modi Multibit for a while and it had the absolute same issue, but was an old unit with Gen 2 USB, so I thought the Gen 5 on the Bimby would fix that - sadly it didn't.
4. Have already tried all USB ports on my PC (USB 3.0, USB 2.0, the ones on top of my PC case which act like a separate USB hub I suppose etc.), also tried different USB cables - problem persists.
5. Problem is NOT present when using the SPDIF optical input.
6. I'm using a desktop PC and am not able to test things out with another one, cause my old laptop broke and have no other device that I can plug the Bimby into.
7. Wrote Schiit an email - response I got was to look into the DAC troubleshooting guide (https://www.schiit.com/guides/dac-problems) and try disabling the port power management, but that didn't make a difference. Next suggestion was to just send the unit for inspection, which is not an option for me, cause I'm European, warranty is not transferable etc.
8. I'm not really willing to buy a Wyrd or a separate USB Hub, cause I think Gen 5 USB was released exactly to eliminate the need of buying such products.

Has someone experienced the same problem and is there any way I could fix it? Really wanted to use the USB input instead of the SPDIF optical one, but with this awful static noise it's definitely not possible.

Huge thanks in advance!

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #2,767 of 2,799
Hello everyone,

I posted this in the help forum section, but think I might hopefully get some more help here.

So, recently bought an used Schiit Bifrost Multibit, which I received 2 days ago. Unit is 2.5 years old, but had the Gen 5 USB upgrade installed October last year. Have this weird problem though - getting a static noise whenever I'm listening to music and doing something on the PC at the same time (e.g. opening apps/programs, writing, browsing, etc - basically everything connected with some processor activity). Will list some stuff that I tried, or observed during these last 2 days, in hope that someone would help me fix the issue:

1. Problem is present only when there's music playing. If I pause it, there's no static noise whatsoever.
2. It doesn't matter if I use my main player (foobar2000 with WASAPI plugin), or another one (Winamp, Winodws Media Player etc) - the problem is always there.
3. Had a Modi Multibit for a while and it had the absolute same issue, but was an old unit with Gen 2 USB, so I thought the Gen 5 on the Bimby would fix that - sadly it didn't.
4. Have already tried all USB ports on my PC (USB 3.0, USB 2.0, the ones on top of my PC case which act like a separate USB hub I suppose etc.), also tried different USB cables - problem persists.
5. Problem is NOT present when using the SPDIF optical input.
6. I'm using a desktop PC and am not able to test things out with another one, cause my old laptop broke and have no other device that I can plug the Bimby into.
7. Wrote Schiit an email - response I got was to look into the DAC troubleshooting guide (https://www.schiit.com/guides/dac-problems) and try disabling the port power management, but that didn't make a difference. Next suggestion was to just send the unit for inspection, which is not an option for me, cause I'm European, warranty is not transferable etc.
8. I'm not really willing to buy a Wyrd or a separate USB Hub, cause I think Gen 5 USB was released exactly to eliminate the need of buying such products.

Has someone experienced the same problem and is there any way I could fix it? Really wanted to use the USB input instead of the SPDIF optical one, but with this awful static noise it's definitely not possible.

Huge thanks in advance!
I say contact Schiit, get an RMA number, send it in for evaluation.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #2,768 of 2,799
I say contact Schiit, get an RMA number, send it in for evaluation.

Thanks for the reply, but again - I bought the unit second hand and IIRC schiit warranty is not transferable. On top of that I'm European and got the unit from a guy in the UK, so sending it to the States and back would probably mean a lot of extra expenses, taxes etc.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #2,769 of 2,799
Thanks for the reply, but again - I bought the unit second hand and IIRC schiit warranty is not transferable. On top of that I'm European and got the unit from a guy in the UK, so sending it to the States and back would probably mean a lot of extra expenses, taxes etc.
Ah, being in Europe does add to the shipping costs,. but I was not talking about warranty work, I was talking about getting them to test it and tell you what is wrong and how much it would cost to repair. Perhaps the Schiit distributor in the UK can offer such service?

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #2,770 of 2,799
Ah, being in Europe does add to the shipping costs,. but I was not talking about warranty work, I was talking about getting them to test it and tell you what is wrong and how much it would cost to repair. Perhaps the Schiit distributor in the UK can offer such service?

Oh, I see. Imo this would still cost a lot and won't be worth it, because the problem is not present with the SPDIF optical connection.

I'm just wondering what could be the reason for such an issue and why a gen 5 on bimby cannot fix the same problem I was experiencing on the gen 2 Mimby...

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #2,771 of 2,799
Ah well if it's noise that you've experienced on two different devices that's different (and I guess I should read everything before replying.) Have you tried a different source? I would strongly suspect your source is the culprit.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #2,772 of 2,799
Ah well if it's noise that you've experienced on two different devices that's different (and I guess I should read everything before replying.) Have you tried a different source? I would strongly suspect your source is the culprit.

Source is an almost newly built PC. And yeah, basically wrote everything in the original post, such as not being able to try the Bimby on a different source because I don't own another PC, nor have an idea how to hook up the USB to my phone for example.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #2,773 of 2,799
Source is an almost newly built PC. And yeah, basically wrote everything in the original post, such as not being able to try the Bimby on a different source because I don't own another PC, nor have an idea how to hook up the USB to my phone for example.
You cannot blame the DAC until you try a different USB source. IMO.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,774 of 2,799
You cannot blame the DAC until you try a different USB source. IMO.

Please don't get me wrong, but isn't the point of the USB Gen 5 that costs $150 exactly to eliminate noises like that? It's not like the USB ports on my PC are not working at all ... they work quite normal, so they are definitely not faulty.

Furthermore, I still have an O2+ODAC that's connected to the PC via USB and there's no noise whatsoever. Also have tried a Chord Mojo with a USB connection and it had no noise as well. The only units I had problems with are the Modi Multibit and the Bifrost Multibit. I blamed the old USB chip in the Mimby, but given the fact that the Bimby has the Gen 5 installed, it should have worked flawlessly, same as the other devices I've tried out ...

And last but not least, have tried 3 different cables (one being relatively expensive) and the noise is present with all of them.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2,775 of 2,799
The things that the 2 interfaces do share, are the Cmedia controller chip. While GEN5 has alot of extra parts to get isolation, they do share the same USB controller chip, that said makes me wonder if there's a driver issue somewhere, or something specific about your setup that causes issue with the cmedia controller. What OS are you running? im assuming windows 10

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back