Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Dec 31, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,487 of 2,799

I'm surprised, since customer service told me about the refund policy. Jason posted on this thread mentioning refunds as well.

Maybe you should ask directly about a refund? I certainly wasn't offered a refund when I reported the issue--I had to bring it up myself.

Also, it looks like you had a similar experience as me with Schiit support on this issue. I generally like it when things are done in a no-******** manner, but being a distressed customer on the receiving end of that is quite unpleasant.

This whole issue has me pretty rattled about upgrading my Bifrost Über so much so that I just "settled" on ordering the 4490 card that I will install myself. It's a reasonably priced upgrade and if they ever sort out this MB problem I might do the full upgrade.

So are the Gung & Ygg experiencing similar issues or is this a unique Bifrost MB situation?

Remember that less than 1% have any problem at all.

And wait for Baldr's next post before doing anything.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,488 of 2,799
^ +1. And to answer stjj89's question I don't recall any Gumbies or Yggies with this specific problem. FWIW have been subscribed to the Yggy and Gungnir (since MB version) threads from the start

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #1,490 of 2,799

So here is the MB Bifrost situation as it is today. We have a few users complaining of screeching/noise when sample rates change through their BiFrosts while streaming USB. Schiit acknowledges and has experienced that condition, which generally disappears after a few hours of burn-in. A few weeks ago. We called back and replaced two units, one from Seattle, and one from Florida. With both of those units, we could not duplicate the problem.  It goes without saying that if the units do not fail here, we cannot fix them.  Meanwhile, the two users with the replaced units reported that their problems were not fixed with our replacements on this thread. This led to further experiments where we tried Windows based machines. (We all use Mac or Linux servers here at Schiit). We found that we could cause failures perhaps once or so every two hundred tries on the Windows based driven Bifrosts. However, there appear to be a few quite vocal users who are unsatisfied and claim failures at a much higher frequency. Please see Jason's post #1480 above re administrative remedies.

Before I address technical remedies, let me ramble on a bit more. We can force failures by rapid connect/disconnect of the USB cable, not just on our DAC, but at least three other DACs made by others we can locally round up. That is just not an acceptable use case. At least one of those also failed on the sample rate change, at about the same frequency as ours.

We believe this to be a timing related problem, and we have developed experimental software for both the DSP and control microprocessor on Bifrosts. This software is experimental. It is difficult for us to evaluate as our new units stop glitching soon after initial power up. Further, our sample size is very small. Our first effort to draw units from the field resulted in just two returns. It would now take 16 returns to represent just 1% of our Bifrost upgrade/sales.

So therefore, if you have this problem, and it is more than a fluke, send me a PM. In that PM, please tell me the following:

1. Is it a new or upgrade Bifrost.
2. What USB streaming computer/device you use.
3. How often your failure occurs. Is it random or reproducible?
4. Can you produce a playlist that consistently fails?

From the list of responses, I will chose up to 10 and if you agree I will:

1. Send you a call tag for a free ride back here for your Bifrost.
2. Test the Schiit out of it when it gets here.
3. Apply the supersonic timing software.
4. Test the Schiit out of it again.
5. Send it back to you. It will cost you nothing other than the downtime.

I don't care if you bought it new or used.

It will be Dave and myself messing with it so we will have it a week or so – not our superfast service. We have much testing to do.

We really want to fix this. A friend of my wife's has a paranormal group – her T-Shirts say "We believe you". I believe you as well and really want to fix the Bifrosts under all normal use cases for all of you, regardless of your USB streamer.

FYI, I believe there is no audible difference between the regular and supersonic timing software.

Finally, this is NOT a recall.

Thanks for helping out!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 2, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #1,491 of 2,799

So here is the MB Bifrost situation as it is today. We have a few users complaining of screeching/noise when sample rates change through their BiFrosts while streaming USB. Schiit acknowledges and has experienced that condition, which generally disappears after a few hours of burn-in. A few weeks ago. We called back and replaced two units, one from Seattle, and one from Florida. With both of those units, we could not duplicate the problem.  It goes without saying that if the units do not fail here, we cannot fix them.  Meanwhile, the two users with the replaced units reported that their problems were not fixed with our replacements on this thread. This led to further experiments where we tried Windows based machines. (We all use Mac or Linux servers here at Schiit). We found that we could cause failures perhaps once or so every two hundred tries on the Windows based driven Bifrosts. However, there appear to be a few quite vocal users who are unsatisfied and claim failures at a much higher frequency. Please see Jason's post #1480 above re administrative remedies.

Before I address technical remedies, let me ramble on a bit more. We can force failures by rapid connect/disconnect of the USB cable, not just on our DAC, but at least three other DACs made by others we can locally round up. That is just not an acceptable use case. At least one of those also failed on the sample rate change, at about the same frequency as ours.

We believe this to be a timing related problem, and we have developed experimental software for both the DSP and control microprocessor on Bifrosts. This software is experimental. It is difficult for us to evaluate as our new units stop glitching soon after initial power up. Further, our sample size is very small. Our first effort to draw units from the field resulted in just two returns. It would now take 16 returns to represent just 1% of our Bifrost upgrade/sales.

So therefore, if you have this problem, and it is more than a fluke, send me a PM. In that PM, please tell me the following:

It will be Dave and myself messing with it so we will have it a week or so – not our superfast service. We have much testing to do.

We really want to fix this. A friend of my wife's has a paranormal group – her T-Shirts say "We believe you". I believe you as well and really want to fix the Bifrosts under all normal use cases for all of you, regardless of your USB streamer.

FYI, I believe there is no audible difference between the regular and supersonic timing software.

Thanks for helping out!

If it is determined that this new software is "better" and fixes the issue, do you plan on including it on all new Bifrosts shipped?

And what exactly is a timing related problem? It seems weird that the units are performing fine on Macs and not on Windows. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #1,492 of 2,799
It's ha been Over Two Months Since My Bimby Has it's last episode. I tried a multi day long playlist to repeat the issue to no avail. 

The Folks at Redmond has decided that they will push an update that now constantly tell me to update my win 7 machine to Win 10. I do not feel like going through the headache of finding out which quick fix is giving me pop ups worst than some malware. Mac ordered, it has been on my radar fro months the MS Malware is the last straw.. I have been using Foobar in Windows. Now to Find an equivalent Player in Mac land.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #1,493 of 2,799
It's ha been Over Two Months Since My Bimby Has it's last episode. I tried a multi day long playlist to repeat the issue to no avail. 

The Folks at Redmond has decided that they will push an update that now constantly tell me to update my win 7 machine to Win 10. I do not feel like going through the headache of finding out which quick fix is giving me pop ups worst than some malware. Mac ordered, it has been on my radar fro months the MS Malware is the last straw.. I have been using Foobar in Windows. Now to Find an equivalent Player in Mac land.

I will save you some time. There is nothing equivalent to foorbar2000 on OSX. Once you get over that fact, Audirvana+ is quite good...

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #1,495 of 2,799

Thanks for helping out!

I'm on a 2011 mac mini and the sample rate glitch is happening to me pretty regularly (ranges between once every two days and more than once a day).

I perform the following steps in order until the problem is resolved:
1. cycle the inputs
2. play a different sample rate and then switch back to the original track
3. restart the bifrost (always resolves the problem)

My Bifrost was an upgrade. Originally purchased in 2014 as a uber.

While I wouldn't mind if I didn't have the weird distortion problem - I just don't think I'm willing to go without the Bifrost for a couple weeks.
When it is playing right (which is almost all of the time) the Bifrost MB is so wonderful that I'm willing to deal with the occasional glitch.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,496 of 2,799

Over it.  

Thanks,I have seen a few people that use audivarna+ here so its on my radar. The Price is not ridiculous, Even when compared to foobar which is free.

Don't forget Jriver. It runs on Mac, Linux and windows.

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,497 of 2,799
Anyone here upgrade to the Bifrost from a Modi 2 Uber? Specifically the non-multibit version. Wondering it's worth the ~$250 upgrade. By the way I don't use USB, so anything in regards to USB performance doesn't matter for me.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,498 of 2,799
Anyone here upgrade to the Bifrost from a Modi 2 Uber? Specifically the non-multibit version. Wondering it's worth the ~$250 upgrade. By the way I don't use USB, so anything in regards to USB performance doesn't matter for me.

Its an insane upgrade to Bimby. The bifrost even at $600 is a DAC I could live with forever, and I've heard Yggy, and many other top of the line DACs.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #1,499 of 2,799

If you truly want your money's worth, save your money until you can afford a bifrost MB. Used ones come up for $500 usually.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,500 of 2,799

Over it.  

Thanks,I have seen a few people that use audivarna+ here so its on my radar. The Price is not ridiculous, Even when compared to foobar which is free.

Don't forget Jriver. It runs on Mac, Linux and windows.

Jriver is only US$50 and includes a state of the art Video File player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back