Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Feb 29, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #526 of 578
  I'm assuming this is for USB powered only DACs? Would the Modi 2 not see any benefit from this because it is mostly powered by its own personal power supply?

I noticed an improvement with the Bimby.

Also i've seen it said here that some mains powered DAC's still need a proper powered USB port.

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #527 of 578
I got the Wyrd last week and installed it in between my PC and the Modi 2 Uber which has its own power supply. The changes have been more significant than I expected actually. It definitely helped tame the upper range harshness. However, the most dramatic improvement is to the vocals, both male and female. They sound more natural and nuanced, especially when playing high bitrate FLAC recordings. I can hear subtleties that were not as apparent without the Wyrd in the loop. The bass is not as boomy and is tighter and better defined. It is almost as if the Wyrd alleviated the digital approximation that the DAC has to perform when receiving a less than ideal signal. Ultimately, that led to more of the original recording coming through.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #528 of 578
Has anyone tried using the Wyrd exclusively as a power source? Technically, is it the same as or similar to using a linear power supply that has a 5V USB output option?

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #529 of 578
Has anyone tried using the Wyrd exclusively as a power source? Technically, is it the same as or similar to using a linear power supply that has a 5V USB output option?

I have, but it was a specific application.

I used it to power on/off a Meridian Director. The Director was powered by USB from the Wyrd, while the music data was fed via optical digital input from a disc transport.

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #530 of 578
  I have, but it was a specific application.

I used it to power on/off a Meridian Director. The Director was powered by USB from the Wyrd, while the music data was fed via optical digital input from a disc transport.

I'm currently using it with an iFi Gemini cable. iFi Gemini cable plugged into PC (data) and Wyrd (power) > Gustard U12 > Schiit Bifrost MB > Lyr 2. I'm also running Fidelizer 7.0 Pro on my PC. Everything sounds pretty good, but I can't really figure out if one thing is making it sound better over another.

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #531 of 578

I'm currently using it with an iFi Gemini cable. iFi Gemini cable plugged into PC (data) and Wyrd (power) > Gustard U12 > Schiit Bifrost MB > Lyr 2. I'm also running Fidelizer 7.0 Pro on my PC. Everything sounds pretty good, but I can't really figure out if one thing is making it sound better over another.

Sometimes it is the whole of the audio system... 
tongue.gif

I don't generally believe that about DACs. I will most often tell a person to get the best DAC they can, and play with the rest of the system. But even regarding DACs, there is the transport or digital audio source, digital cable, quality of the interface on both ends. And as you mentioned, how you are sending the bits from your computer source. There are so many rules I follow, I should probably write myself a cookbook.

Is the DAC powered by USB? Or is the USB interface to the DAC powered by USB? Or is nothing in the DAC dependent on USB, other than the digital bits? Anyways...glad you're liking it. And though I know it to be a competing product, you may want to pop into the REGEN thread. They truly do some mystical experimental things there!

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #532 of 578
Sometimes it is the whole of the audio system... :p

I don't generally believe that about DACs. I will most often tell a person to get the best DAC they can, and play with the rest of the system. But even regarding DACs, there is the transport or digital audio source, digital cable, quality of the interface on both ends. And as you mentioned, how you are sending the bits from your computer source. There are so many rules I follow, I should probably write myself a cookbook.

Is the DAC powered by USB? Or is the USB interface to the DAC powered by USB? Or is nothing in the DAC dependent on USB, other than the digital bits? Anyways...glad you're liking it. And though I know it to be a competing product, you may want to pop into the REGEN thread. They truly do some mystical experimental things there!

Yeah, I follow the Regen thread pretty closely. My DAC and USB interface are not dependent on USB power. They each have their own power supply. I'm using a coax to connect them to each other. I have an iFi nano iUSB3.0 on the way, the new iFi product that is supposed to be their "econo" version of a similar product; both doing the same thing as the Regen. I got it because I had Amazon credits. Otherwise, I would have picked up the Regen. I may still do it eventually. Anyway, thanks for reply!

May 1, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #533 of 578
Could someone make a picture of the way that this Shiit device is connected to the DAC and PC. Thank you in advance. 

May 1, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #534 of 578
  Could someone make a picture of the way that this Shiit device is connected to the DAC and PC. Thank you in advance.

Hi     if you mean this product here

you have to connect the pc to the Input and the Output to a usb dac/converter.
And of course the power adapter to the AC socket on the right.
Nice little unit indeed.
Regards, gino

May 1, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #535 of 578

Hi     if you mean this product here

you have to connect the pc to the Input and the Output to a usb dac/converter.
And of course the power adapter to the AC socket on the right.
Nice little unit indeed.
Regards, gino

So technically. There goes a USB A > B 2.0 from the DAC to the Shiit-Wyrd Output (a short one preferred). And another USB A > B 2.0 cable from the Schiit Wyrd-Input to the computer (this one could be longer, less than 2m preferred. Is this correct?

May 1, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #536 of 578
  So technically. There goes a USB A > B 2.0 from the DAC to the Shiit-Wyrd Output (a short one preferred). And another USB A > B 2.0 cable from the Schiit Wyrd-Input to the computer (this one could be longer, less than 2m preferred. Is this correct?

Hi !  you are starting from the end of the chain ... start from the source that is the PC.
You need a USB cable to connect the usb port on the PC to the input of the Schiit and
another usb cable to connect the output of the Schiit to the dac.
The signal is sourced at the pc and goes down to the dac.  Not viceversa.
Yes i would keep the Schiit as close as possible to the dac.
Regards,  gino

May 1, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #537 of 578

Hi !  you are starting from the end of the chain ... start from the source that is the PC.
You need a USB cable to connect the usb port on the PC to the input of the Schiit and
another usb cable to connect the output of the Schiit to the dac.
The signal is sourced at the pc and goes down to the dac.  Not viceversa.
Yes i would keep the Schiit as close as possible to the dac.
Regards,  gino

Alright I make the start chain

PC/Computer-USB-cable A>B(2.0) to Shiit Wyrd Input. This one could be up to 2-meters in length. 
Shiit Wyrd Output USB-cable A>B(2.0) (short cable) to Shiit DAC- Input
Shiit DAC Output L/R RCA-cable (short) to Shiit AMP Input L/R
Shiit AMP Output L/R RCA-cable = for Speakers. Front Headphone jack-output is used for headphones obviously.

Chain : PC to Shiit Wyrd | Shiit Wyrd to Shiit DAC | Shiit DAC to Shiit AMP | Shiit AMP to Speakers/Headphone

(All three need power-Adapter 230VAC Europlug for Europe aka the Netherlands.)

Is this right?

May 1, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #538 of 578
  Alright I make the start chain

PC/Computer-USB-cable A>B(2.0) to Shiit Wyrd Input. This one could be up to 2-meters in length. 
Shiit Wyrd Output USB-cable A>B(2.0) (short cable) to Shiit DAC- Input
Shiit DAC Output L/R RCA-cable (short) to Shiit AMP Input L/R
Shiit AMP Output L/R RCA-cable = for Speakers. Front Headphone jack-output is used for headphones obviously.

(All three need power-Adapter 230VAC Europlug for Europe aka the Netherlands.)

Is this right?

Yes.

May 1, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #539 of 578

Users who are viewing this thread

Back