Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Apr 27, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #3,166 of 3,339
Quote:
OK, I couldn't wait, I ordered the board too.  

I should be able to install it with nothing but duct tape, right?   I have official gray duct tape...

You need bailing wire to go with the duct tape!  Don't forget though, sticky side down...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #3,167 of 3,339
Quote:
You need bailing wire to go with the duct tape!  Don't forget though, sticky side down...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Bailing wire, of course!  Thanks for the tip! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #3,168 of 3,339
Quote:

I can't comment more other than what's written on the product page, because we'd like to be around in, say, 5-10 years, rather than sued to oblivion because we invalidated the "no user servicable parts inside" clause, and someone decided to take, say, a Valhalla apart, while it's plugged in, while they're in the bathtub. I believe what's written on the page is fairly clear.

Yeah, definitely fair enough, I think I can read between the lines enough to know I feel up to the task. I'll let everyone know how it goes (assuming I'm still alive! just kidding). If anything, those of us encountering any potential problems with our own installs can groupthink our way through the process here on Head-Fi or elsewhere. Just now ordered the DAC board, looking forward to some sweet Schiit.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #3,169 of 3,339
Quote:
You gotta understand that the "regular" Bifrost sounds just fine!  I guess the Uber sounds a bit better, but I have been rocking a stock Bifrost since it pretty much came out and have had no complaints.  At least now I can save my pennies looking forward to a future upgrade while rocking an already excellent DAC.  You're not losing out...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Thank you for support! 
beerchug.gif

I'm a bit sad about USB gen 2: as Mac OS X limits optical out to 96khz, I'm planning to use USB link.

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #3,170 of 3,339
Quote:
Thank you for support! 
beerchug.gif

I'm a bit sad about USB gen 2: as Mac OS X limits optical out to 96khz, I'm planning to use USB link.

That's what I use, however it is on a PC laptop.  I use Foobar 2000 with the WASAPI plug-in that is supposed to transfer a "bit-perfect" signal over usb...don't know about for sure, that but it's free and the music does sound oh so good!
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #3,172 of 3,339
Quote:

In addition to the right screw driver and your ant-static tether to protect DAC, I'd suggest a good pair of hip waders to protect you while you're in the tub doing the install.

You can't be too careful! 

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #3,173 of 3,339
I have two questions that Jason could answer.  
  • Is the new USB card able to support 32/192?  My purpose is to use Audirvana + for volume control when used in my family room stereo.  The audio chain would be Computer -> DAC -> Amp.  With 32 bits, that should provide 48 dB of attenuation before a 24 bit signal looses resolution.  This is somewhat like the M51 approach to volume control, but the risk of the computer or software error permitting full voltage signals still has me a little worried.
  • Is the new USB card capable of Integer mode in Audirvana +?  

Currently I own a non-USB Bifrost.  I do enjoy its sound with a DI-V3 input, and the output going to my old Stax SRD-X and SR-X Mark III.  The Stax have never sounded as good as they do now.  Lately I have been contemplating a Gungnir, and if it is capable of 32/192 I may just have to order the USB option.  Now with the new Bifrost upgrade options, there is more to consider.  Decisions, decisions....  

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #3,174 of 3,339
ah well - I am weak, I just ordered the UBER and am really wondering how it can make my Bifrost sound better.

Since there seem to be problems with the USB and linux - I wanted t use it with Squeezebox or better the new Community driven development based on a Wandboard - but the info I could find was that it does not work, shame would have made things easier...

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #3,178 of 3,339
I've been waiting since day one to get this! Already love the bifrost but just ordered Uber analog, skipped on USB version 2 as I just acquired a vlink 192. just took my bifrost apart to see how difficult it would be to remove the current analog card, no problem, just remove a few screws and gently pull off. The most difficult part was getting the dark grey section that houses the entire board back into the silver enclosure! Lining up those LEDs into those tiny holes is a pain!!! :wink:

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #3,179 of 3,339
Quote:
I've been waiting since day one to get this! Already love the bifrost but just ordered Uber analog, skipped on USB version 2 as I just acquired a vlink 192. just took my bifrost apart to see how difficult it would be to remove the current analog card, no problem, just remove a few screws and gently pull off. The most difficult part was getting the dark grey section that houses the entire board back into the silver enclosure! Lining up those LEDs into those tiny holes is a pain!!!
wink.gif

I know this might sound silly but it might help a lot of us, can you post some pictures of the disassembly/reassembly of the Bifrost?

Thanks,
-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back