Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
May 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #3,196 of 3,339
I heard back from Jason, I was supposed to get the sticker, he's fixing it so I am sent one.

May 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #3,198 of 3,339
Sorry, I didn't take any pics. Other guys had already said thy would document the procedure, I figured they'll prolly do a much better job than I could anyway.

It really wasn't difficult, as I mentioned, the hardest part was lining up the LEDs on reassembly.

May 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #3,199 of 3,339
I had to pop for the uber Bifrost and USB v.2 boards after reading all this...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #3,200 of 3,339
te name="nelamvr6" url="/t/545842/schiit-dacs-bifrost-and-gungnir-down-one-to-go-the-information-and-anticipation-thread/3195#post_9400627"]Sorry, I didn't take any pics. Other guys had already said thy would document the procedure, I figured they'll prolly do a much better job than I could anyway.

It really wasn't difficult, as I mentioned, the hardest part was lining up the LEDs on reassembly.[/quote]

What are your first impressions? worth the money?

May 1, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #3,201 of 3,339
te name="nelamvr6" url="/t/545842/schiit-dacs-bifrost-and-gungnir-down-one-to-go-the-information-and-anticipation-thread/3195#post_9400627"]Sorry, I didn't take any pics. Other guys had already said thy would document the procedure, I figured they'll prolly do a much better job than I could anyway.

It really wasn't difficult, as I mentioned, the hardest part was lining up the LEDs on reassembly.

What are your first impressions? worth the money?[/quote]

Absolutely! The best $70 I've spent in a long time!

May 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3,204 of 3,339
Soon to be bifrost owner here.

I notice on the usb option it says that its usb option is better than most usb to spdif convertors. Does that imply that the usb option itself is a usb to spdif convertor? is optical/coaxial input better than usb?

May 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #3,205 of 3,339
I'm sure like most things it's system dependent.  I've just been running Spotify Premium off my computer through Lyr/Bifrost.  I ran it for quite awhile through the usb with a starlight usb cable...it was very good.  Then, for kicks, and because of Schiit's recommendation, I broke down and bought a Blue Jean coaxial cable and tried it (coax, not optical).  The difference in headroom, detail, separation, instrument timbre....
everything...was amazing.  But that's my system...and my ears, lol.
My Bifrost is out to Schiit right now for the upgrades.  Missin' it but looking forward to more goodness.

May 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3,206 of 3,339
I've been sitting here all evening trying out the Uber upgrade, listening to every really special title I have. 96/24 needledrops, 48/24 needledrops, MoFi CD rips, DCC CD rips, Audio Fidelity CD rips, everything I have on hand...

I suppose I'll have to believe that a $2000 DAC would sound better, but right now I can't imagine wanting more than I have right here! This thing sounds awesome! I'm very satisfied, the $70 was well worth it.

May 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #3,207 of 3,339
Quote:

I notice on the usb option it says that its usb option is better than most usb to spdif convertors. Does that imply that the usb option itself is a usb to spdif convertor? is optical/coaxial input better than usb?

I use a computer sound card with the coax out just for this reason. I wouldn't want the USB board in my DAC out of fears it would introduce additional noise.

The USB is mighty convenient tho.

May 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #3,208 of 3,339
Quote:
I've been sitting here all evening trying out the Uber upgrade, listening to every really special title I have. 96/24 needledrops, 48/24 needledrops, MoFi CD rips, DCC CD rips, Audio Fidelity CD rips, everything I have on hand...

I suppose I'll have to believe that a $2000 DAC would sound better, but right now I can't imagine wanting more than I have right here! This thing sounds awesome! I'm very satisfied, the $70 was well worth it.

Sounds like good schiit.
evil_smiley.gif

Bravo Jason!

May 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3,209 of 3,339

The Schiit website was quite critical of USB before they updated the USB board. They said it was like "telling a chef to make a great meal but he could only use McDonalds hamburgers" or something like that. All that talk has been removed, so they must think the new board is quite a step up over the old one.

If you have an optical or coax out on your source I would pass on the USB though.

May 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #3,210 of 3,339
Quote:

Thanks for the impressions nelamvr6. It's always hard to believe that something can sound better when you're already satisfied. I remember thinking that the Dragonfly from audioquest was as far as I would ever need to go with a DAC....needless to say Bifrost stole the show and is my new favorite. Currently listening to Radiohead with HE500, EF5 amp, and Bifrost, with a Vlink192 as source. Honestly can't wait to hear how much MORE impressive the Uber Analog will be.   =)       It really is as great time for digital audio enthusiasts. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back