Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
May 3, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #3,226 of 3,339
That's strange. I updated my last post with the exact text that is on the Bifrost (Bif4399ana V2.30)

I do think there may have been an unannounced revision. The version on my MB is 1.25 while most of the images I can find are still on 1.0. Perhaps the V1.25 Bifrosts come with the Uber already installed?

Edit: Here's a higher-resolution image: http://i.imgur.com/8uGF3Oq.jpg

May 3, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #3,227 of 3,339
Quote:
That's strange. I updated my last post with the exact text that is on the Bifrost (Bif4399ana V2.30)

I do think there may have been an unannounced revision. The version on my MB is 1.25 while most of the images I can find are still on 1.0. Perhaps the V1.25 Bifrosts come with the Uber already installed?

Edit: Here's a higher-resolution image: http://i.imgur.com/8uGF3Oq.jpg

I'm looking right now at the analog board that I took out of my Bifrost, and it is identical to the one in that photo, even the same revison, V2.30.

I'm not going to take my Bifrost apart again, I'm sure that the Uber boards will start arriving at more and more Head-Fier'l mailboxes, so I'm sure we'll be able to see photos of that board soon enough.

May 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #3,229 of 3,339
OK, I said I wasn't going to take my Bifrost apart, but curiosity got the better of me.

I didn't take it all the way apart, just enough to take the inner case out.  I can see the board, and read the revision number.

The old board says Schiit Bif4300ana v2.30.

The new board says Bifrostupana v1.10.

Those are the exact marking on each board.

The do look similar in many regards, but not identical. Both of my boards have the two large capacitors, but my new Uber board has two smaller caps near the rear edge where the old board has four.

BTW, my motherboard is v1.25.

May 3, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #3,230 of 3,339
I am very interested in the Bifrost in combination with Asgard 2 and with the headphone Beyerdynamic DT 770Pro 80ohms version. Now how i am useing it now Spotify high quality -> Asus xonar hdav 1.3 spdif -> Denon AVR 1611 -> DT 770 Pro. Now my question if i buy the dac and amp will my headphone sound beter or is it to "low end" for the dac / amp ?

May 3, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #3,231 of 3,339
Quote:
I am very interested in the Bifrost in combination with Asgard 2 and with the headphone Beyerdynamic DT 770Pro 80ohms version. Now how i am useing it now Spotify high quality -> Asus xonar hdav 1.3 spdif -> Denon AVR 1611 -> DT 770 Pro. Now my question if i buy the dac and amp will my headphone sound beter or is it to "low end" for the dac / amp ?

I would think you would get an improvement with a DAC.

If you got a Bifrost/Asgard 2 combo I would think that Spotify would most likely be your bottle neck.
It would still be a really good system though, especially as a first system, and for the price.

May 4, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #3,232 of 3,339
I finally received my Bifrost/Lyr combo.

I connected Bifrost via USB to my Mac OS X. As a result my system volume has become maxed out and only mute function is available.

How can I get back the volume control to the computer keyboard? One of the reasons I preferred USB over optical out is convenient volume control.

May 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #3,233 of 3,339
Quote:
I finally received my Bifrost/Lyr combo.

I connected Bifrost via USB to my Mac OS X. As a result my system volume has become maxed out and only mute function is available.

How can I get back the volume control to the computer keyboard? One of the reasons I preferred USB over optical out is convenient volume control.

Just my opinion, but I think for maximum SQ without degradation from the OSX's audio processing algorithms/schema you should allow the analog volume control of your Lyr to dictate volume level, not OSX (or even your player of choice). This is how I've run all my DACs, although I use Windows. 

May 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #3,234 of 3,339
Quote:

Just my opinion, but I think for maximum SQ without degradation from the OSX's audio processing algorithms/schema you should allow the analog volume control of your Lyr to dictate volume level, not OSX (or even your player of choice). This is how I've run all my DACs, although I use Windows. 

Most of the time I don't need 100% quality from my audio but need comfort when adjusting volume. Besides, I'm not sure I can hear the difference if I use the system volume control (not the volume control in iTunes or other media players which are maxed just in case).

My previous DACs did not disable system volume control when used via USB. Can I change this behaviour of Bifrost?

May 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #3,235 of 3,339
Quote:
OK, I said I wasn't going to take my Bifrost apart, but curiosity got the better of me.

I didn't take it all the way apart, just enough to take the inner case out.  I can see the board, and read the revision number.

The old board says Schiit Bif4300ana v2.30.

The new board says Bifrostupana v1.10.

Those are the exact marking on each board.

The do look similar in many regards, but not identical. Both of my boards have the two large capacitors, but my new Uber board has two smaller caps near the rear edge where the old board has four.

BTW, my motherboard is v1.25.

My motherboard is v1.20.  So, revisions happen!
tongue.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 5, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #3,236 of 3,339
Quote:
Most of the time I don't need 100% quality from my audio but need comfort when adjusting volume. Besides, I'm not sure I can hear the difference if I use the system volume control (not the volume control in iTunes or other media players which are maxed just in case).

My previous DACs did not disable system volume control when used via USB. Can I change this behaviour of Bifrost?

The Bifrost makes many attempts to be "bit perfect" and/or asynchronous in its USB input, so therefore you're not going to be able to play music through it well if you don't use a bitperfect configuration, and even if you do, you're going to have to not change the data (read:OSX volume) a lot if you want it to remain asynchronously linked. that's,  at least, imho.

May 5, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #3,237 of 3,339
Quote:

The Bifrost makes many attempts to be "bit perfect" and/or asynchronous in its USB input, so therefore you're not going to be able to play music through it well if you don't use a bitperfect configuration, and even if you do, you're going to have to not change the data (read:OSX volume) a lot if you want it to remain asynchronously linked. that's,  at least, imho.

OK. Thanks.

Though I hoped to use my bifrost/lyr combo as general purpose DAC + pre-amp. It looks like my Schiit pile will have Maverick TubeMagic D1 Plus (with upgrades) connected to power amp as the base block. While Schiit will be dedicated to headphones.

May 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #3,239 of 3,339
You should keep it in case your upgrade board goes bad.  That is what I did.  I don't think it has much resale value, much like upgrading your stock car stereo with an aftermarket one.  The auto manufacturer would probably not want the stock stereo back.  
Quote:
So what do we do with the original boards after the upgrade? Do they have resell value? Doesn't feel right to just recycle them.

May 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #3,240 of 3,339
I have the Bifrost and have the clicking problem. The connection is coax from CD player.
It occurs between tracks. The player is also a 6 disc carousel and it will click continuously
if I hit pause - and doesn't stop until I resume play.  I was in contact with Jason Stoddard
at Schiit and here's what he said...
"Yep, if the CD player interrupts the data stream, Bifrost will click. That's the muting relay, doing its job."
cleardot.gif

" Bifrost's mute activates every time there's an interruption in the data stream. Some CD players have constant, repetitive interruption when in pause. The only real solution is to use a different player or computer source, I'm afraid."
So, what seems like a real design flaw is apparently 'Working As Designed'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back