Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Nov 14, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #2,956 of 3,339
Yeah this thread seems more appropriate. But what I meant is that I am looking more for features not specs.

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #2,957 of 3,339
Quote:

I found this to be true as well.  On occasion I use my MacBook Pro as my source.  I have used both optical and USB and to me the optical sounded just plain dull and the USB was clearly better.  I thought it was my optical cable, but then I used it with my Oppo, PC, and Squeezebox Touch (feeding the Bifrost) and they sounded much better.  Now I am using optical from my PC and USB from Mac.  For cables I used the Audioquest Forest for optical and Audioquest Coffee for USB.  My MacBook Pro is a 2010 model if that makes any difference.  

This is interesting. I have a Mac Pro and always thought optical was better but apparently different Mac models may have varying optical out quality. I just switched to USB on my Bifrost and think it sounds richer and a bit less thin. 

I fully recognize this could be a placebo affect however I think I'll run with USB on my Mac for now. 

An added plus is my Bifrost is no longer clicking at all when on USB!

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #2,962 of 3,339
Hello,

I want to begin by stating I am a novice where computer audio is concerned.  But I am hearing great things about the Gungnir.  I am wondering how it woold stack up against the M2Tech Young?

Anyway... I have a Yamaha A-S 2000 integrated amp that is quite nice, but it does present a problem.  The max input voltage for single ended and XLR is 2.8v.  Can someone tell me the output of the Gungnir?  Is it the same for single ended an XLR?

Thanks for the help,
Chip

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #2,963 of 3,339
Quote:
Hello,
I want to begin by stating I am a novice where computer audio is concerned.  But I am hearing great things about the Gungnir.  I am wondering how it woold stack up against the M2Tech Young?
Anyway... I have a Yamaha A-S 2000 integrated amp that is quite nice, but it does present a problem.  The max input voltage for single ended and XLR is 2.8v.  Can someone tell me the output of the Gungnir?  Is it the same for single ended an XLR?
Thanks for the help,
Chip

Gungnir Maximum Output: 4.0V RMS 
(balanced), 2.0V RMS (single-ended)

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2,964 of 3,339
The Bifrost is a wonderful DAC.  I'm very impressed with it at the price-performance level.  It has a good soundstage and doesn't sound narrow or flat like most sub-$400 DACs.  Detail retrieval is really great and is the best I've heard in its pricing tier.  The sound doesn't seem warm or colored.  It does have a bit of that solid state sounding etch, but unless you're used to summit-fi DACs, it's not that noticeable.  I think I could easily add it to most systems and not feel that it was the weak link.  It's being used in a Baby Orpheus setup and is doing very nicely.  I tested all three inputs (Toslink, coax, and USB).  They all sound very similar to me.  My favorite is the USB, surprisingly, because I usually don't like most USB implementations, and it slightly edges out the Toslink and coax.  I think I heard a slight improvement with the coax over Toslink, but another person listening liked the Toslink more, and I need to spend more time with the Bifrost to feel confident to say whether I really notice a difference between the two inputs.

If anyone is replacing a warm DAC with the Bifrost, the Bifrost may come off as a bit less musical and uninvolving.  It'll mostly come down to personal preference and how picky the listener is.  I can see some people preferring a more colored DAC.

As much as most people don't want to hear this, the Bifrost improves with better cabling.  I replaced the stock USB with a Wireworld Ultraviolet and the power cord with a 14AWG Monoprice cable, and both tweaks softened the etch without damaging the detail.  The Ultraviolet cable made the bigger difference, but both were immediately audible going back and forth.  It got better with a Wireworld Starlight and Acoustic Revive USB-1.0SP, but at that point it's probably better to look at the Gungnir.  I don't doubt that a quality converter like an Audiophilleo 2 will improve the USB input, but I haven't tried my own USB/SPDIF converter with the Bifrost.

Particularly given Jason and Schiit's remarkable customer service and warranty, I think the Bifrost is a phenomenal starting DAC for most, and it's also a good starting point for people looking to move from a portable to desktop system.  Knowing what I do now, if I was just getting into the hobby, I think a Bifrost is one of the best places to start at for a quality source.  One of the best things about the Bifrost is no opamp switching nonsense.  Hurrah completely discrete analog output section.

I haven't had any clicking issues.  The Bifrost clicks once when it turns on and only clicks when I change inputs.  It's connected to a Windows machine set at default 16/44 playback, and only plays 16/44 lossless in Foobar.  I'm suspecting people with clicking issues have a default playback of something other than 16/44, or have an inconsistent music library.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #2,965 of 3,339
I think you need to get your hands on the Gungnir. Glad you finally got some Schiit. Bifrost has to be one of the best values out there.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #2,966 of 3,339
I'll be keeping a lookout for a used Gungnir once the prices go down :)  I bought the Bifrost for my girlfriend who is enjoying it quite a bit.

One day I'll upgrade my Berkeley, but my dream DAC is currently the TOTALDAC D-1 Reference.  If Schiit does plan to make a balls to the wall ladder DAC, I'll be first in line.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #2,967 of 3,339
Quote:
I haven't had any clicking issues.  The Bifrost clicks once when it turns on and only clicks when I change inputs.  It's connected to a Windows machine set at default 16/44 playback, and only plays 16/44 lossless in Foobar.  I'm suspecting people with clicking issues have a default playback of something other than 16/44, or have an inconsistent music library.

With USB the computer and the DAC are communicating all the time. The signal will lock immediately. The Bryston has a lock light. The W4S DAC-2 shows the Hz of the signal. The Schiit 'clicks'. No matter whether music is playing or not this communication is steady and the Schiit does not click again until the connection is broken.

With Toslink you have a direct stream from the computer to the DAC without negotiation. So when digital music begins, the BDA-1 lock lights, the W4S shows the frequency and the Schiit 'clicks'. Once you stop iTunes or your player you will the hear the click of the lost signal. Then back on again once you begin playing again.

I do find the constant clicking of the Schiit (Gungnir) annoying. But I have found a trick. If you use Airfoil to send music (Mac) it broadcasts all the time. So again there is an initial click and then no more until you quit the program.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #2,968 of 3,339
With USB the computer and the DAC are communicating all the time. The signal will lock immediately. The Bryston has a lock light. The W4S DAC-2 shows the Hz of the signal. The Schiit 'clicks'. No matter whether music is playing or not this communication is steady and the Schiit does not click again until the connection is broken.

With Toslink you have a direct stream from the computer to the DAC without negotiation. So when digital music begins, the BDA-1 lock lights, the W4S shows the frequency and the Schiit 'clicks'. Once you stop iTunes or your player you will the hear the click of the lost signal. Then back on again once you begin playing again.

I do find the constant clicking of the Schiit (Gungnir) annoying. But I have found a trick. If you use Airfoil to send music (Mac) it broadcasts all the time. So again there is an initial click and then no more until you quit the program.

I just switched to USB, no clicking at all and I cannot tell any sound quality difference.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #2,969 of 3,339
In case anyone is wondering, if ur NOT using wasapi in foobar, windows 7 actually automatically upsample/downsample ur signal to whatever u have set in ur pc sound settings in control panel. If the signal is up/downsampled via software already, no clicking will occur.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #2,970 of 3,339
Quote:
I have contacted Jason a while ago, and again more recently. What I've been told is that the statement DAC will have AES/EBU input, and that SACD/DSD, if there is ever any, will be in a separate unit (a whole new product, if you will).

So interesting how respected industry vets can think very differently about certain issues.  See Paul McGowan's (PS Audio) take on DSD here: http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/ps-dsd/8946/

My player does on-the-fly conversion of DSD to PCM, allowing me to play it through my Bifrost, and to me it sounds great.  I'm thinking it would sound even better if the DSD signal didn't have to be converted, and could be handled in native format by the DAC.  But Jason and Mike have made their decision for separate-if-any DSD-capable hardware after an extensive survey of their customer base here.  As it is, I'm looking forward to what the statement DAC will bring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back