Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Apr 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #2,656 of 3,339
The Bifrost is an exceptional piece of audio hardware. It took around 200 hours of break-in for the sonics to smooth out in the highs

Is it possible to burn in a DAC by outputting music to it, but keeping the attached amp off?

I would think it wouldn't make a difference having the amp on or off, or does it?

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2,657 of 3,339
Yep. Leave it off and run a disc on repeat or white noise. 
smile.gif

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,660 of 3,339
Wait until the release of the intermediate gear. There will be some people upgrading I am sure.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #2,662 of 3,339

Quote:
Well... my Bifrost is on the way back to Schiit office. Been using the E17 as the DAC since few days back and it felt like downgrading. I mean, still listenable but the some of the listening pleasure is gone.

I am glad my Bifrost is on the way back to me. There is a small issue with the USB card which rarely happens but it happens. The most important thing is the service from Jason is always prompt and fast.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #2,664 of 3,339

Quote:
i am looking to upgrade from the audinst dac.

so far i have narrowed it down to:
audio-gd nfb 3.1
schiit bifrost
grant fidelity tubedac-11

all are in the same price range

my headphone amp is matrix m-stage and i will be using the audio-gd DI for a coax interface

im leaning towards the schiit bifrost but the feedback on the nfb 3.1 is making me reconsider.  which would you guys get?

Quote:
I think most people in this thread have the bifrost or favor it.  Probably not the best place to ask :)

Yeah! 
biggrin.gif

And if you ask in Audio Gd thread, then your answer will be NFB-3.
I have NFB-2, and I heard Bifrost, both are excellent products, I think it is then back to you, what flavor are you looking at?
Tonality wise, NFB-2 (similiar to NFB-3) is weightier, Bifrost is 'clearer' IMO.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #2,665 of 3,339

Quote:

Hang on, I just saw one here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/607033/schiit-bifrost go, quickly grab it! 
wink_face.gif

Oh yea I actually contacted gasmd. 

He was very helpful and if he had the the version without the USB I would have gladly done business with him. At the moment, I don't need the USB because I would be using SPDIF the whole time. Plus it would save me much money. I'll wait near June most likely haha

May 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2,667 of 3,339
Quote:
I hate how you guys love your bitfrost so much that I never see it being sold in the F/S forum!

I sold mine -- sound was fine but was unimpressed with fit n' finish, power line hum and switching noise. Looking forward to more news about the intermediate and statement products, but did not find the Bifrost to my taste.

best,

o

May 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #2,668 of 3,339
Quote:

I sold mine -- sound was fine but was unimpressed with fit n' finish, power line hum and switching noise. Looking forward to more news about the intermediate and statement products, but did not find the Bifrost to my taste.

best,

o

Were you hearing the power line hum using any of the inputs, or just one specific input e.g.: USB?

May 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #2,669 of 3,339
i'm still really enjoying the bifrost. Some of the sibilance issues i was having havent gone away over time. Also the clicking coming from the unit itself every time you change applications or click something...rather annoying but I can't complain on the sound front too much. 

May 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2,670 of 3,339
i really am looking forward to reading what people say about this gungnir, i hope that i will own one soonish, but im not so sure about this clicking i don,t know weather it will bug me or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back