Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Feb 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #2,311 of 3,339

Quote:
can anyone recommend a good coax cable?

Omega Mikro.  Not cheap but consistently best I've heard over a 20-year period.  They usually have used models of their entry-level digital coax ("Zephyr") in their consignment shop.  The used ones should be - brace yourself - about $280 or thereabouts.  (Yes, I know, this is silly stuff when talking about a $350-$450 DAC.  I bought mine a couple of years before the Bifrost.)  They do have less expensive coax cables under the Mapleshade name, which should be very good in their price ranges as well, though not on a level with the Zephyr IMHO.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2,312 of 3,339

Quote:
Omega Mikro.  Not cheap but consistently best I've heard over a 20-year period.  They usually have used models of their entry-level digital coax ("Zephyr") in their consignment shop.  The used ones should be - brace yourself - about $280 or thereabouts.  (Yes, I know, this is silly stuff when talking about a $350-$450 DAC.  I bought mine a couple of years before the Bifrost.)  They do have less expensive coax cables under the Mapleshade name, which should be very good in their price ranges as well, though not on a level with the Zephyr IMHO.

Well that's one crazy looking cable.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2,313 of 3,339
I have Mapleshade speaker cables.
Got them years ago.
They held forth against Nordost Norse at a fraction of the cost.
Of course, IMHO, YMMV.
No more posts from me on cables.
I promise.
smile.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #2,314 of 3,339
Did you hear that? Those are the angel choirs singing at my house because my Bifrost is shipping today! (#1077 for those keeping score at home...) With the Lyr scheduled to arrive today, it's like Christmas in February.

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #2,319 of 3,339

Quote:
I canceled my Schiit direct order on Sunday night, and placed an order with Audio Advisors via Amazon. Just showed up on my doorstep 30 minutes ago and shipping was free.

I just checked now and Audio Advisor is out of stock, but Kraft Street Audio has some at a $30 markup (free shipping though - so it may even out).

Potential drawback: Amazon does not appear to have the non-USB version at all.

You're killing me isberg.  I placed an order with Audio Advisors at noon on 12/12 and got an out of stock message on 12/13!  Still waiting. :frowning2:

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #2,322 of 3,339
Today is an even better day because the Bifrost has landed! Looks great, sounds good so far but now to start the Lyr tube rolling. Up first (for no particular reason) the 6N1Ps! Now if I can just find a new cable for my LCD-2 I'll be set!...at least until the next big thing.

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2,325 of 3,339

Quote:
My good friend was looking at the Audiophilleo2. He is running from his home server thru a Musical Fidelity - V-LINK Mk II - USB to SPDIF Converter to a Cambridge Audio 840 CDP. But like you say, the entry fee is substantial. If he likes my Bifrost when it gets here, I think he is just going to wait for the 'Statement'.

is statement dac going to be released this summer or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back