Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Feb 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2,296 of 3,339
Used the same optical cable with Bifrost for a bit - very nice cable. A noticeable upgrade to my ears from the pretty good Blue Jeans plastic optical I had. Very well made too. I think you'll be happy.

Quote:
I'm 1135, mine did not ship last week.
According to the web site, they didn'tget all the circuit boards from their supplier that were promised.
All backorders are now to ship this week.
Let's hope this is the case.
I just got a power cable from Signal Cable, in New York, and ordered a glass optical cable from http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html which will be here early next week.
I have a spot prepared and waiting on my equipment rack.
Jeez, this whole scenario has this 54 yo feeling like kid waiting for x-mass day.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #2,297 of 3,339
Hey guys-

I'm tempted to order an optical cable as above, but my iMac desktop is six or seven years old, so is there any way to be sure it outputs via the headphone jack? Did they always do that, or did it happen at some point? I've asked at the local Apple stores, but the subject leaves the staff even more slack-jawed than usual. Or is there a thread that covers this? Any help much appreciated.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2,298 of 3,339

Quote:
Hey guys-

I'm tempted to order an optical cable as above, but my iMac desktop is six or seven years old, so is there any way to be sure it outputs via the headphone jack? Did they always do that, or did it happen at some point? I've asked at the local Apple stores, but the subject leaves the staff even more slack-jawed than usual. Or is there a thread that covers this? Any help much appreciated.

If you bought your iMac after August 2004 (G5 with the monitor and computer in the display panel), it should have the combination audio jack/mini-toslink plug.
On your Mac, go to the Apple menu (top left) > About This Mac > Click "More Info" and look under Hardware > Audio. You should see S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output if you have one.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2,300 of 3,339
Jeez, this whole scenario has this 54 yo feeling like kid waiting for x-mass day.

Thats a good way of putting it. My month long wait for the Bifrost seems like a weekend compared to 5 months for Thunderpants. Someone posted their BHSE took over a year to get delivered. I too will feel like a kid on Xmas when my equipment arrives :D

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #2,302 of 3,339
When is the start time for wait relating to the intermediate gear? :)

I am guessing that Jason is getting messed around by some supplier. It could be turnover exceeding his forecasts but I would guess more of a supplier or quality issue. Their original forecast was to have the statement amp out by Christmas 2011.

I am quite happy in some ways that it was delayed. It gave me an excuse to get the Bifrost as well as some serious upgrades to my portable rig whilst waiting. There is always a silver lining! :)

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #2,303 of 3,339
Feb 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2,304 of 3,339
Yea, I added an Audiophilleo2 to my chain, as I wanted bit accurate sample rates across the board. the optical/spdif port on mac's is capped at 24/96. Bifrost's USB was fairly good too, but the USB receiving chip within doesn't support 176. With the Audiophilleo2, I get it all, and a bit of an upgrade (extremely low jitter, great sonics for a converter) to my chain. But at a price for sure.

Quote:
That is encouraging to hear.
I have never used optical before.
Are you using something different now?

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2,305 of 3,339

Quote:
Thats a good way of putting it. My month long wait for the Bifrost seems like a weekend compared to 5 months for Thunderpants. Someone posted their BHSE took over a year to get delivered. I too will feel like a kid on Xmas when my equipment arrives
biggrin.gif

Sorry to go OT, but I noticed the Bottlehead Crack in your signature.
One day, I will build one of their pre-amps for my vinyl rig.
I really want to hear how good they are supposed to be.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2,306 of 3,339
are these units still backordered?

I plan on ordering one this week on payday.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2,308 of 3,339
can anyone recommend a good coax cable?

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #2,309 of 3,339

Quote:
can anyone recommend a good coax cable?

I've been buying and using CatCables for 6 years. I must have 20 various cables (RCA & Digital) in my entire system. Doug hand-makes each one. He will even do custom lengths. I have had friends bring much more expensive cables over to my place, but my Cats always hold forth.

He has three different digital coax cables that are very reasonably priced, IMHO.
I have no affiliation with this company. I am just V happy with the product.

http://www.catcables.com/products.htm

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #2,310 of 3,339

Quote:
Yea, I added an Audiophilleo2 to my chain, as I wanted bit accurate sample rates across the board. the optical/spdif port on mac's is capped at 24/96. Bifrost's USB was fairly good too, but the USB receiving chip within doesn't support 176. With the Audiophilleo2, I get it all, and a bit of an upgrade (extremely low jitter, great sonics for a converter) to my chain. But at a price for sure.

My good friend was looking at the Audiophilleo2. He is running from his home server thru a Musical Fidelity - V-LINK Mk II - USB to SPDIF Converter to a Cambridge Audio 840 CDP. But like you say, the entry fee is substantial. If he likes my Bifrost when it gets here, I think he is just going to wait for the 'Statement'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back