Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Feb 15, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #2,281 of 3,339
That's what I did about 10 days ago for a USB version, but my Audio Advisor order was direct through their web site (to avoid Amazon's tax on shipments to WA State). I received the Bifrost very quickly, and it now has over 150 hours of burn-in. 

The SQ definitely took a turn for the better after the 40 hour mark.

I really wanted to order directly from Schiit as I did with the Lyr, but just got tired of the waiting and back order status.

A side note: the finish of the Bifrost from this latest production run looks identical to the brushed aluminum on my Lyr; there's no color variation at all.

Quote:
I canceled my Schiit direct order on Sunday night, and placed an order with Audio Advisors via Amazon. Just showed up on my doorstep 30 minutes ago and shipping was free.

I just checked now and Audio Advisor is out of stock, but Kraft Street Audio has some at a $30 markup (free shipping though - so it may even out).

Potential drawback: Amazon does not appear to have the non-USB version at all.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #2,283 of 3,339
yep, just don't go stuffing tin foil in there! lol 
very_evil_smiley.gif

-m

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #2,284 of 3,339
i just saw an article that certain dacs can play digital audio from the ipad using the camera connection kit.

has anyone tried this with the bifrost?

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #2,286 of 3,339
I just tried this with my brand new Bifrost (arrived yesterday). iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1 with cam kit. It locks up the iPad hard, requiring a hard reset. Tried it twice. Then to verify, I hooked up the Bifrost USB to my MacBook Air and it worked fine.

Quote:
i just saw an article that certain dacs can play digital audio from the ipad using the camera connection kit.

has anyone tried this with the bifrost?

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #2,287 of 3,339
I think that I may have seen that article.  It used the Antelope DAC and claimed that the ipad2 could output up to 384 with the camera connection kit.  

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #2,288 of 3,339
There's actually a whole thread about the iPad CCK and DAC's, I followed it for a while and am surprised re the Bifrost not working since it uses AC power.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #2,289 of 3,339
Yeah, surprised me too (though that thread is not being updated anymore). I did some googling and I found some info for the iPad 1 that stated "USB 1.1" support. The Bifrost uses async USB 2. USB 2 is backwards compat with 1.x, but maybe it's causing a problem with the iPad. Or maybe it's the async that's causing the problem. I don't know. It would be nice if Jason from Schiit could chime in with any thoughts.

Quote:
There's actually a whole thread about the iPad CCK and DAC's, I followed it for a while and am surprised re the Bifrost not working since it uses AC power.

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #2,292 of 3,339
Got my Valhalla back this morning!   One day turn-around and shipped it back to me.   7 down days in total and most of those were in transit.   Pretty awesome.  
biggrin.gif
   I should get my Bifrost next week.   Keeping fingers  crossed although I'm pretty high up on the list.  #1186 

Quote:
I haven't the slightest idea. 
redface.gif
     I got a RA  number from Jason today, on the weekend no less (blink) so I don't think my down time will be to long.  Incredibly good customer support!  Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.   Can't wait for my Bifrost to arrive. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #2,295 of 3,339
I'm 1135, mine did not ship last week.
According to the web site, they didn'tget all the circuit boards from their supplier that were promised.
All backorders are now to ship this week.
Let's hope this is the case.
I just got a power cable from Signal Cable, in New York, and ordered a glass optical cable from http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html which will be here early next week.
I have a spot prepared and waiting on my equipment rack.
Jeez, this whole scenario has this 54 yo feeling like kid waiting for x-mass day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back