Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Nov 26, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #1,742 of 3,339

Quote:
Quote:

Ugh.  Deal breaker.  Dropped mine & picked up the NFB-3 that was sitting on FS instead for $100 cheaper.

When you say dropped yours, do you mean that you sold your Bifrost or just changed your mind. It would be good to get your impressions if you had both.  

So far I have owned an Audio-gd fun version A with the wolfson chips, a matrix I-mini, DAC magic and the Bifrost. There was not a lot between the matrix and the Fun but the dacmagic was a bit more musical and fuller in the bass. I personally feel that the Bifrost is a league up again. 

So much so that I am even more impatiently awaiting the statement amp and DAC. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #1,743 of 3,339
Anyone else feel the mids are thin?  I hadn't noticed that particularly in my brief audition.  Then again I used some ToTL tube amps w/ them.

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #1,744 of 3,339

Quote:
Anyone else feel the mids are thin?

Absolutely not! I don't hear anything over or underpronounced. Many things have been written, loads of statements about the sound. The only way I could really describe it, it sounds "live" like the real thing and lively.
After a short while you drown in the music and it just sounds natural.
Every time I switch the music on, it still surprises me how "alive" the music has become.

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #1,745 of 3,339
I did not/do not find the mids thin at all - and that's with the neutral (some have even said 'dry') Concerto. Piano was a good test for this for my ears. Very natural, bar what I noticed in the low to mid bass area. Couldn't decide whether Bifrost was missing something or MiniMax adding something.

For sure the Lyr (stock GE6BZ7) thickens the (low) mids area slightly. Inclined to call this Bifrost/Lyr combination slightly dark at this point in listening sessions over the last 30 hours.

I guess if one finds the Bifrost thin, the Lyr gives a way to 'correct' this.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #1,746 of 3,339
Quote:
When you say dropped yours, do you mean that you sold your Bifrost or just changed your mind. It would be good to get your impressions if you had both.  

So far I have owned an Audio-gd fun version A with the wolfson chips, a matrix I-mini, DAC magic and the Bifrost. There was not a lot between the matrix and the Fun but the dacmagic was a bit more musical and fuller in the bass. I personally feel that the Bifrost is a league up again. 

So much so that I am even more impatiently awaiting the statement amp and DAC. 

I mean I had Jason cancel the order and I threw the funds at the NFB-3 instead.  It wasn't just that comment, I did some PMing to gather some more impressions and they all came back "I wouldn't say it's bright...but"

Using the transparent Objective2 I would rather lean toward the darkside than the brightside.

If I had a tube-amp I would have stuck with the Frost.  Seeing as I don't have a Lyr, or something to "fix" a thin sound, I would rather go for the NFB-3 (which happened to be $100 cheaper on FS).

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #1,747 of 3,339

Quote:
Quote:

Ugh.  Deal breaker.  Dropped mine & picked up the NFB-3 that was sitting on FS instead for $100 cheaper.

Gotta say...you are the WORST about listening to what others say rather than forming your own opinions before changing and rechanging your mind!  You're only a few days away from a meet where you could have heard it and decided on your own.

Listen for yourself...decide on your own what you like.  I know I was one of those who said "it's not bright, but..." and by that I meant is was like looking through a clear pane of glass rather than something that 'enhanced' the look.

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #1,748 of 3,339
Listening for ones self is believing, unless you know for certain you share the same impressions of everything that the other person does, which I have not seen yet.  Even when people agree on here, they seem to really be in disagreement to some extent.  I like my Bifrost, I don't really feel like burn-in has changed much of anything.  Its a nice sounding DAC for the money, I certainly think it punches above its league, I don't feel like it punches 3x its league as some others might suggest but it definitely presents a great value and a great product.

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #1,749 of 3,339
Yes indeed.  Very few of us use the same headphones, music, amps, and cables.  And even if we did there would still be difference of opinion.  If I had a need for a 2nd DAC I would think about getting the Bifrost and compare it to say my W4S DAC-2 which has an amazing USB implementation scheme.  For those claiming the thin sound I do wonder if it is the next part of the chain, the amp, that could be the culprit and whether increased gain could make a difference in the dynamics (albeit another expense one may not want).      

They're saving that 3X punch for the statement DAC/amp.

Quote:
Listening for ones self is believing, unless you know for certain you share the same impressions of everything that the other person does, which I have not seen yet.  Even when people agree on here, they seem to really be in disagreement to some extent.  I like my Bifrost, I don't really feel like burn-in has changed much of anything.  Its a nice sounding DAC for the money, I certainly think it punches above its league, I don't feel like it punches 3x its league as some others might suggest but it definitely presents a great value and a great product.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #1,750 of 3,339
Quote:
Gotta say...you are the WORST about listening to what others say rather than forming your own opinions before changing and rechanging your mind!  You're only a few days away from a meet where you could have heard it and decided on your own.

Listen for yourself...decide on your own what you like.  I know I was one of those who said "it's not bright, but..." and by that I meant is was like looking through a clear pane of glass rather than something that 'enhanced' the look.

Ugh.  You're right.  I dropped the NFB-3 and bought a clear pane of glass instead.  Saved even more money, incidentally.

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #1,751 of 3,339
Having had the Bifrost for quite a while now (well over a month) with it getting 6-10 hours of use every night, I'm not finding any changes to the sound. It's still as crisp and clean as the minute I first heard a violin bow cross a string with the Bifrost in the chain. Now that I have UERMs, I notice even more detail and appreciate the Bifrost's very smooth frequency response. I find nothing over-emphasized, or thin whatsoever. Have I heard better? Sure, but most of that 'better' is in the sound stage imaging precision (which is what those big bucks get you).

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #1,752 of 3,339
Funniest and most practical thing I have read here, all week. Clear as mud!

Quote:
Quote:

Ugh.  You're right.  I dropped the NFB-3 and bought a clear pane of glass instead.  Saved even more money, incidentally.

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #1,753 of 3,339
does the bifrost sound better than your cambridge dacmagic?
which DACs sounded better than bifrost and how much did they cost?
Quote:
Having had the Bifrost for quite a while now (well over a month) with it getting 6-10 hours of use every night, I'm not finding any changes to the sound. It's still as crisp and clean as the minute I first heard a violin bow cross a string with the Bifrost in the chain. Now that I have UERMs, I notice even more detail and appreciate the Bifrost's very smooth frequency response. I find nothing over-emphasized, or thin whatsoever. Have I heard better? Sure, but most of that 'better' is in the sound stage imaging precision (which is what those big bucks get you).

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #1,754 of 3,339

Quote:
Quote:

LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back