Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Oct 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #1,261 of 3,339

Quote:
I aways deal with USPS for international shipping, their rates are amazing.  Shipping time ranges from deathly fast(canada, 3 days), to excruciatingly slow 1.5 weeks to eastern Europe.

But UPS and Fed Ex stick it with really high fee's.  Most people seem to prefer USPS when I internationally ship.

Guys, I started a thread about 6 months back asking amp manufacturers why their shipping rates were so high, and I got a couple of replies from Justin at Headamp - basically, his customers want their amps as quickly as possible and that means one of the US carriers that charge an arm and a leg. I certainly dont blame Justin for that, but its interesting that EMS can have iBasso gear to me within a week from Shenzhen while it takes longer than that to have Australia Post ship something from Headphonic in Perth. Same country, no Customs, but it sits in the Perth Mail Centre for days on end - there is a lot to be said for finding an efficient courier service.

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #1,262 of 3,339

Quote:
Guys, I started a thread about 6 months back asking amp manufacturers why their shipping rates were so high, and I got a couple of replies from Justin at Headamp - basically, his customers want their amps as quickly as possible and that means one of the US carriers that charge an arm and a leg. I certainly dont blame Justin for that, but its interesting that EMS can have iBasso gear to me within a week from Shenzhen while it takes longer than that to have Australia Post ship something from Headphonic in Perth. Same country, no Customs, but it sits in the Perth Mail Centre for days on end - there is a lot to be said for finding an efficient courier service.

I had stuff sent through USPS which was OK for about 3 to 4 times but the last package didn't arrived.  I thought It was lost and the company in the US and I had declaired it missing, this was in the January this year.  The US company was good enought to redispatched another package that arrive in the usual time frame through USPS.  A month ago the missing package shows up!!
I also had UPS send me stuff from Digikey, this package went across US and then to Hawaii, it sat there for 48hrs before arriving in Sydney.  What I was discussed at was UPS left the package in my electric meter box and did not shut the cover.  It was banging around and my wife discovered it there by accident!!!!

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #1,263 of 3,339
I *always* have gear delivered to my workplace - always. Couriers have absolutely no excuse for not getting a signature, and I recognise the signature of everyone who works here - trying to tell me that they left it with 'some guy' just isnt going to cut it. Our regular courier is quite good, but some of them are complete rogues.

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #1,264 of 3,339

Quote:
I *always* have gear delivered to my workplace - always. Couriers have absolutely no excuse for not getting a signature, and I recognise the signature of everyone who works here - trying to tell me that they left it with 'some guy' just isnt going to cut it. Our regular courier is quite good, but some of them are complete rogues.

Brilliant idea, and you're a lucky guy but I'm out on the road and they dont want me in the office, if you have seen our dispatched and w/housing: no way I have things delivered there.  FedEx are more positive than other they need to scan out and require a signiture or the package is not released, but thats Melbourne!!!

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #1,265 of 3,339
Progress report for other folks in line for Bifrost USB models:

I'm USB order #35, and got my final invoice this morning at 4:18 am local time, 1:18 am California time, so looks like it's shipping out today. 

The Schiit folks don't seem to be getting a whole lotta sleep these days if that invoice time is any indication.

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #1,266 of 3,339
Off-topic discussion going on, but here's another vote against using UPS. Don't see the point in going into detail as to why, but I've simply had too many bad experience with their service. No more UPS for me, I avoid them at all costs. If I need small packages sent from the US with not too high value contents (like LP's. well, depending on the album, of course!) I prefer USPS, for more expensive stuff like head-fi gear, FedEx all the way :) Here in Europe though I much prefer DHL and DPD.

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #1,267 of 3,339
For guys who have already received the DAC: When connected through coaxial or optical, do you see it as a separate device in Foobar or J River or is it the dedicated soundcard out (Windows 7)?
Thanks

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #1,268 of 3,339
Yay, now that the Bifrost backorders are going to be cleared up very soon, Jason and Mike can start looking at the balanced stuff.

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #1,269 of 3,339

Quote:
For guys who have already received the DAC: When connected through coaxial or optical, do you see it as a separate device in Foobar or J River or is it the dedicated soundcard out (Windows 7)?
Thanks

While I don't have a Bifrost (yet), it would be the digital out from your sound card that you would select. Your computer has no way of knowing what the signal's going to, it's just outputting a digital signal and assuming you've got something down the chain that will do something with it.

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #1,270 of 3,339
Got my re-authorization e-mail...seems my USB unit will be shipping soon.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #1,272 of 3,339
Ive been staring at my bifrost for 2 days now sitting in my rack but unable to use because Im waiting for cables to come in for it. Fortunately, they will be arriving today so Ill be able to hook it all up tonight when I get home from work. Just for etification, Ill be hooking up two sources to mine(logitech touch through optical and cable box through coax) with speakers. Ill post up my impressions over the weekend hopefully.

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #1,273 of 3,339
I just watched Thor the movie.  It was interesting hearing, Asgard, Valhalla and Bifrost all together.  The Bifrost was very powerful.

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #1,274 of 3,339
My Bifrost clicks with each new CD in the player, a Marantz. With my other DAC, the Marantz loses lock between CDs, while with my old Rega player lock was unbroken as long as the player was on. Fortunately, I don't mind the click, since according to Jason it's normal.

Also, surprised that nobody pointed out that in my last post I wrote "taught" instead of "taut" when referring to bass reproduction.  Or you were all too polite to point it out.

Still liking the Bifrost quite a bit. It seems a bit more midrange focused than the Marantz alone or my other DAC, though I suspect that might be interconnect-related. Perhaps this weekend I'll have some time to experiment.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #1,275 of 3,339
Order #5 here...still no word on my order.  Was your invoice a reauthorization of your payment?  Or a notification from Schiit that your order is processing? 

My payment was from early on when PayPal immediately disbursed funds, so I wouldn't expect a reauthorization notice.  However, if you received some other notification from Schiit that you order is now processing, then I would be concerned that Schiit is processing orders out of sequence.

Quote:
Progress report for other folks in line for Bifrost USB models:

I'm USB order #35, and got my final invoice this morning at 4:18 am local time, 1:18 am California time, so looks like it's shipping out today. 

The Schiit folks don't seem to be getting a whole lotta sleep these days if that invoice time is any indication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back