Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Oct 31, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #1,291 of 3,339
That's something a number of us are interested to know - which reference grade DACs do you refer to?

Cheers.

Quote:
I'm loving my Bifrost/Lyr combo with my hd600's. There is no listening fatigue whatsoever. In fact, the only negative thing I can come up with in regards to the Bifrost, is that it doesn't have the resolving power of the "reference grade" DACS. Of course, some folks may prefer this as it keeps it from sounding dry and analytical. Still an excellent piece of kit for the money.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #1,292 of 3,339
I'm loving my Bifrost/Lyr combo with my hd600's. There is no listening fatigue whatsoever. In fact, the only negative thing I can come up with in regards to the Bifrost, is that it doesn't have the resolving power of the "reference grade" DACS. Of course, some folks may prefer this as it keeps it from sounding dry and analytical. Still an excellent piece of kit for the money.

Less fatiguing!? That's great to hear. Maybe I can unmod my W5000's once my bifrost rolls in. Without the mod on an average volume, those things can make your ears real tired and sore due to some harsh mids and highs… The F5005 mod that's here on the forum fixed that up real good. But.. If I could go stock again by changing the DAC that would be amazing!

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,293 of 3,339
Thought I'd share my experience with cabling Bifrost. I replaced my work MSII+ with Bifrost, and used a generic optical spdif for the connection. Sounded wonderful, though the very bottom seemed rolled off a bit. My Silflex glass optical cable arrived today, and that made a noticeable difference. The bottom end is there is with force, clarity and slam, with a slight improvement in clarity overall. Now this probably speaks mostly to the poor quality of the cable I was using - but I thought I'd mention it as others may have  a similar experience.

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #1,295 of 3,339
I have found that Glass toslink cables sound better too.  I havent done any real comparisons on the mega stranded glass cables though.

Quote:
Thought I'd share my experience with cabling Bifrost. I replaced my work MSII+ with Bifrost, and used a generic optical spdif for the connection. Sounded wonderful, though the very bottom seemed rolled off a bit. My Silflex glass optical cable arrived today, and that made a noticeable difference. The bottom end is there is with force, clarity and slam, with a slight improvement in clarity overall. Now this probably speaks mostly to the poor quality of the cable I was using - but I thought I'd mention it as others may have  a similar experience.

Have people played around to see what the Coax versus the optical sound signatures are like?  I will only have the choice of using either optical or usb from my Mac but will be able to test the coax output from my Bluray player.  Since the sources are different I wont be able to do a proper 3 way comparison.

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #1,299 of 3,339
IME (also limited) I found differences "pretty noticeable" with either. I can't say which was easier. However, I have not so far listened systematically for differences (i.e., applied review conditions). The few tracks I happened to A/B in each case may have been lucky ones to try.

Once my bifrost arrives I intend to do several planned comparisons. My view may change.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #1,300 of 3,339
Gotta love the fact that it sounds better than the UDac-2. Feet, stop dancing.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #1,302 of 3,339
I have found that Glass toslink cables sound better too.  I havent done any real comparisons on the mega stranded glass cables though.

Have people played around to see what the Coax versus the optical sound signatures are like?  I will only have the choice of using either optical or usb from my Mac but will be able to test the coax output from my Bluray player.  Since the sources are different I wont be able to do a proper 3 way comparison.

I on the other hand would like to see optical vs USB signatures, which was a heated debate a handful of pages back.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #1,304 of 3,339
Just got my USB Bifrost today.  Eager to get started, so I'm trying to get it up and running on both a Windows Vista and a Windows 7 machine.  Two problems:

1) The transformer is emitting a low hum sound.  It's somewhat amplified since I've temporarily placed the Bifrost directly on a hardware floor (no feet, but it is audible even if I hold it suspended in the air).

2) I cannot get the Schiit USB Interface driver to work.  The device installation installs a USB HID (Human Interface Device) device, a USB Composite device, and two Schiit USB Interface devices.  One of the Schiit USB Interface devices fails to start, so for now I do not have a functional sound device.  The description of the failure is:

[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Description[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small]Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 10.[/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Problem signature[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small]Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode[/size]
[size=xx-small]Architecture: x86[/size]
[size=xx-small]Hardware Id: USB\VID_0D8C&PID_0304&REV_2204&MI_00[/size]
[size=xx-small]Setup class GUID: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}[/size]
[size=xx-small]PnP problem code: 0000000A[/size]
[size=xx-small]Driver name: usbaudio.sys[/size]
[size=xx-small]Driver version: 6.0.6002.18005[/size]
[size=xx-small]Driver date: 04-11-2009[/size]
[size=xx-small]OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1[/size]
[size=xx-small]Locale ID: 1033[/size]

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #1,305 of 3,339

Quote:
Just got my USB Bifrost today.  Eager to get started, so I'm trying to get it up and running on both a Windows Vista and a Windows 7 machine.  Two problems:

1) The transformer is emitting a low hum sound.  It's somewhat amplified since I've temporarily placed the Bifrost directly on a hardware floor (no feet, but it is audible even if I hold it suspended in the air).

Read the 6Moons review on the Asgard - Jason feels that transformer hum is 'normal' - dont know if that holds for a DAC, but it seemed to be his stance with their first amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back