Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Oct 24, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,171 of 3,339

Quote:
Now I'm disappointed.  Seems Jason and Mike haven't figured out how to make a $3K DAC for $350/$450.  
frown.gif

Not really surprising considering how I think the Lyr competes with amps 2X it's cost.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #1,172 of 3,339

Quote:
Not really surprising considering how I think the Lyr competes with amps 2X it's cost.

Right, but how does it compare with amps 5x its cost ? Thats the kind of crazy expectations that I believe *some* Head-Fiers bring to the table with a new product like the BiFrost. I look back on the massive pre-release hype that grew up around the Icon HDP, then fast-forward to 2011 and its like the uncle everyone silently hopes wont be turning up for Xmas dinner ....

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,173 of 3,339

Quote:
Right, but how does it compare with amps 5x its cost ? Thats the kind of crazy expectations that I believe *some* Head-Fiers bring to the table with a new product like the BiFrost. I look back on the massive pre-release hype that grew up around the Icon HDP, then fast-forward to 2011 and its like the uncle everyone silently hopes wont be turning up for Xmas dinner ....

LoL...thanks for the good laugh. Very well put.
smile.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #1,174 of 3,339

Quote:

Mmmmm... Lyr     
tongue_smile.gif

I have the Schiit web page open right now looking at the Lyr with the mouse hovering over the buy button while I try to figure out which tubes.  My LCD-2 needs something more than the Asgard.  So another amp first.  Then DAC.  Tubes.  Which tubes.  This indecision is delaying my buying.  

edit:  And my previous comment was tongue in cheek even though I only put a sad smiley.  Just having some fun.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #1,175 of 3,339

Quote:
Mmmmm... Lyr     
tongue_smile.gif

I have the Schiit web page open right now looking at the Lyr with the mouse hovering over the buy button while I try to figure out which tubes.  My LCD-2 needs something more than the Asgard.  So another amp first.  Then DAC.  Tubes.  Which tubes.  This indecision is delaying my buying.  

What headphones are you looking at driving?

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #1,177 of 3,339

Quote:
Just the LCD-2 rev 2 for the Lyr.  I'll be keeping the Asgard which keeps my HD600 and Grados happy.

The Lyr is fantastic with the LCD-2s....I'd go for the 6BZ7 NOS Tubes.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #1,178 of 3,339
Where can you grab a pair of those, Peter, and for approx. how much? I have a sneaky little hunch that I have a Lyr on the horizon, as well. :)

EDIT: Looks like eBay is rife with them, and for rather little scratch, too!

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,179 of 3,339

Quote:
Where can you grab a pair of those, Peter, and for approx. how much? I have a sneaky little hunch that I have a Lyr on the horizon, as well. :)

EDIT: Looks like eBay is rife with them, and for rather little scratch, too!

Schiit Audio sells them separately:

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=8

Or you can order them with your Lyr.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #1,180 of 3,339
Right! D'oh! No fuss at all, since they come with the darn thing (if selected for). So you do not have an urge to try out a pair of much more expensive Gold Lions (?) or a couple of those other popular varieties that can cost $100 or more? That is a good sign. I understand that you use the Lyr primarily for the HE-6, but do you also feel that it plays well with your LCD-2 r.2's (and r.1's, before them, if you can 'accurately' recall
wink.gif
)?

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #1,181 of 3,339

Quote:
Right! D'oh! No fuss at all, since they come with the darn thing (if selected for). So you do not have an urge to try out a pair of much more expensive Gold Lions (?) or a couple of those other popular varieties that can cost $100 or more? That is a good sign. I understand that you use the Lyr primarily for the HE-6, but do you also feel that it plays well with your LCD-2 r.2's (and r.1's, before them, if you can 'accurately' recall
wink.gif
)?

I've got the Gold Lions right here. Very good tubes IMO, but I very slightly prefer the extra 20% more gain with the 6BZ7s with my HE-6s. With my LCD-2s, I do prefer the Gold Lions. Of all the tubes available from Schiit for the Lyr, the 6BZ7s are my favourites.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #1,183 of 3,339
Relax - its not as if all of our posts are obscuring any actual impressions of the Bifrost .....  
very_evil_smiley.gif

(imagine this thread at 150 pages ....)

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #1,185 of 3,339
Ahem... I think I can say that the Bifrost may very well be my gateway DAC to other Schiit, such as the Lyr. Reason for derailing things a bit. My, they certainly will look nice together, stacked on my desktop. :wink:

I am not expecting perfection from the Bifrost, but will be very, very happy if the overall consensus is that it is a better DAC than the Dacmagic, V-DAC and HDP-- things that have been said here a few times. I have had experience with all three DAC's and have felt they lacked something less than tangible. I hope the Bifrost brings that missing X factor to the listening experience, whatever my fatigued mind is trying to get at here. (Turns the Deerhunter iTunes Sessions up and tunes out! Man, is "He Would Have Laughed" a great track. Night, Head-fellas!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back