Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Oct 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #1,202 of 3,339
Quote:
Hey all,

Another slight delay on shipping USB--we want to make a minor firmware update on the delivered boards. We'll be shipping in a couple of days. And yes, I know, I'm starting to sound like a broken record . . .

All the best,
Jason

This brings up a question: Is the Bifrost able to receive firmware/software updates via Web/USB?  If not so currently, that would be a nice idea.

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #1,203 of 3,339
I am hoping that it performs well above it's price range but what made me pull the trigger was not just that it would stack nicely with the Asgard and Lyr but also that it's upgradeable. How nice. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #1,204 of 3,339

Quote:
Hey all,

Another slight delay on shipping USB--we want to make a minor firmware update on the delivered boards. We'll be shipping in a couple of days. And yes, I know, I'm starting to sound like a broken record . . .

All the best,
Jason

Jason,

what does the latest firmware correct and can current owners do this update themselves????

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #1,205 of 3,339
Current owners shouldn't have the USB boards to need the Firmware update.

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #1,206 of 3,339
At the risk of going OT, may I post a few more impressions after almost 50 hours with my (non-USB) Bifrost? Going from phones to speakers makes me appreciate anew the importance of system matching. With the Lyr/LCD-2s, no complaints. I find the individual notes and instruments easier to disentangle than with my old faithful DLIII. And the Schiit definitely pushes some sounds, like cymbals, farther out of the mix. Sounds that were in the background emerge more distinctly. On speakers, this sometimes verges on annoying. But then my Triangles are fairly assertive all on their own. Mostly, the result is hugely enjoyable - Joni Mitchell for example (No, I'm not a teenager.) Occasionally I feel there might be a little less bass, but it could just be that the bass is more taught. I characterize the Bifrost as lean and mean. And a heck of a bargain Some posters are asking for comparisons to other DACs. If anyone in the San Diego area would like to lend me their DAC, I'll see what I can do. And count me among those who can't wait to see the statement unit...

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #1,207 of 3,339
Is the Bifrost able to receive firmware/software updates via Web/USB?

Duh.  Sorry, sometimes it takes me a while.  The Schiit website mentions downloadable Windows (USB hi-rez) drivers will be provided, so yeah, of course the Bifrost is capable of being updated via downloads.

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,209 of 3,339

Quote:

Duh.  Sorry, sometimes it takes me a while.  The Schiit website mentions downloadable Windows (USB hi-rez) drivers will be provided, so yeah, of course the Bifrost is capable of being updated via downloads.

uhh IMHO drivers for using the chip with a particular OS are different from firmwares that are actually burned into the USB chips themselves. And assuming that Jason meant what he said when he said firmware, chances are that they're not easily upgradable by end users. Take external harddrives for example. They're plug-and-play, which means the generic drivers are already in the OS. But the firmware for chips within the USB-SATA/IDE handling part is completely separated and not accessible by average user like you and me. 

somebody correct me if I'm wrong. obviously, as a head-fier also waiting for USB version of Bifrost, I'd love it to be the case that USB chips' firmware is user upgradable. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #1,210 of 3,339

Quote:
uhh IMHO drivers for using the chip with a particular OS are different from firmwares that are actually burned into the USB chips themselves. And assuming that Jason meant what he said when he said firmware, chances are that they're not easily upgradable by end users. Take external harddrives for example. They're plug-and-play, which means the generic drivers are already in the OS. But the firmware for chips within the USB-SATA/IDE handling part is completely separated and not accessible by average user like you and me. 

somebody correct me if I'm wrong. obviously, as a head-fier also waiting for USB version of Bifrost, I'd love it to be the case that USB chips' firmware is user upgradable. 

Very true,

Jason was vague about firmware but we all assume its for USB,  I work on equipment that the end user cannot upload firmware onto the product. this must be done by someone who is trained!!!
Firmaware upgrades on curtain products are preferred not to be done unless absolute necessary! Otherwise if it is not done correctly it is a very expensive exercise!!!!

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,211 of 3,339

Quote:

Yeah, for drivers,  firmware is different, firmware is not drivers!!!

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #1,212 of 3,339
Firmware is essentially an operating system. More complicated than drivers.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #1,213 of 3,339

Quote:
From the impressions so far, the Bifrost sound signature sounds a lot like the Lyr.

Hmm, I guess depends on tubes and sources but my listen to the Lyr seemed to render a slightly drier signature than the BiFrost for me.  I do believe the Lyr is slightly less detailed and transparent but probably a very nice synergy in dealing w/ any potential grain you'd pick off the BiFrost using a mega transparent amp.  Take that with some salt under meet conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back