Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Oct 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #1,036 of 3,339

Quote:
To Echohifi- I think we agree about components, cables and that sort of thing. They do make a difference. I experiment as time and money permit. And while I am symphathetic to the argument that wire is wire, when I tried a $100 Shunyata power cord to my amp and heard the results, well, theory had to put its tail between its legs and slink away.

Would I spend $500 or $1,000 for a power cord or an interconnect? Not until I win the lottery. But moderately priced cables, cords and a power conditioner have brought real benefits that I enjoy nearly every day.

When it comes to equipment such as DACs, and the fellow with the AudioEngine speakers (hope I got that right) asking if the upgrade makes sense - well, if the speakers can convey the differences between, say, low sampling rate MP3 files and AIFF or hi-rez files (or CDs), then they are good enough to let you hear the effect of a new DAC. The question of value is yours to answer.

My current DAC is a PS Audio DL III with phase 4 mods by Cullen Circuits, and I've enjoyed it greatly. But I suspect the Bifrost will be different and potentially better because (A) it is built according to a different philosophy, and (B) it's simply newer. As someone else pointed out, digital gear is changing and advancing at an astonishing rate.

For me, the owner of a Lyr, the Bifrost is a worthwhile experiment. Jason said mine should ship Monday, so hopefully by Wednesday I'll know for sure.

Thanks for the input, cant wait to you post your findings on this dac.  The AKM dac chip is not new, but the cost of this Bitfrost has got me on edge.  I started of with a gigaworks dac at $69US and now I have a mini max plus,  to be honest I think the gigawork PCM 1798 is the best value for money and I am looking for something that has the same impact hopefully this Bitfrost will do it?  The mini max wilth the Sabre 9018 is more detailed and refined in the top end but thats it!

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #1,037 of 3,339
If somebody wants to bring a Bifrost to the NY meet in November, you can A/B it against my Cary Xciter ($1500, uses the same AKM4399 DAC chip).  I heard the Bifrost/Lyr/HE-6 setup at CanJam (by comparison, I use Xciter/Lyr/HE-6 at home), but it was using different tubes than I have (6BZ7 at the show, S&H CCa at home), so it wasn't a particularly useful comparison.  Overall, the DAC performs well and sounds good, though I can't say much more than that.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #1,038 of 3,339

Quote:
If somebody wants to bring a Bifrost to the NY meet in November, you can A/B it against my Cary Xciter ($1500, uses the same AKM4399 DAC chip).  I heard the Bifrost/Lyr/HE-6 setup at CanJam (by comparison, I use Xciter/Lyr/HE-6 at home), but it was using different tubes than I have (6BZ7 at the show, S&H CCa at home), so it wasn't a particularly useful comparison.  Overall, the DAC performs well and sounds good, though I can't say much more than that.

So would I be correct in thinking you paid more for two S&H CCa tubes than for the Lyr in which you installed them?

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #1,040 of 3,339

Quote:
Quote:
No, you would not be correct.

Actually... with mullards + valvo + 2 sets of lorenz, i spent more than the Lyr itself

I think is pretty "normal" (sadly) that this happens :p

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #1,043 of 3,339
My best guestimate is I spent $1536.32 on tubes including shipping...
eek.gif

I could have bought 3/4 of a set of LCD-3s if I had waited until being told about the Lorenz tubes.
redface.gif

*EDIT* ...more like $2200, so I could have gotten the whole banana...  
Cheers!
beerchug.gif
 (as long as you buy the drink...
wink_face.gif
)
-HK sends

PS - But I wouldn't have had as much fun...

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #1,044 of 3,339

Quote:
My best guestimate is I spent $1536.32 on tubes including shipping...
eek.gif

I could have bought 3/4 of a set of LCD-3s if I had waited until being told about the Lorenz tubes.
redface.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif
 (as long as you buy the drink...
wink_face.gif
)
-HK sends

PS - But I wouldn't have had as much fun...

How much do you think you recovered and how much do you still have in tubes. If you buy the LCD 3 you might just have to do it all over again.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #1,045 of 3,339
     Quote:
How much do you think you recovered and how much do you still have in tubes. If you buy the LCD 3 you might just have to do it all over again.

I think I recovered about $600-800 and I've kept 6 sets of Lorenz and 1 set of Telefunken PCC88s (with $700 invested in those).  Actually, now that I think about it, I spent closer to $2200.
eek.gif

But I did let the rest go for pretty cheap to other Head-Fi'ers to give them a chance to try different tubes.  Call me a philanthropist or a complete idiot...take your pick.
tongue.gif

Honestly, I think the Lorenz would pair just as well with the LCD-3s (based on initial impressions I've read)...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #1,046 of 3,339

Quote:
     Quote:
I think I recovered about $600-800 and I've kept 6 sets of Lorenz and 1 set of Telefunken PCC88s (with $700 invested in those).  Actually, now that I think about it, I spent closer to $2200.
eek.gif

But I did let the rest go for pretty cheap to other Head-Fi'ers to give them a chance to try different tubes.  Call me a philanthropist or a complete idiot...take your pick.
tongue.gif

Honestly, I think the Lorenz would pair just as well with the LCD-3s (based on initial impressions I've read)...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Hehe, so that's where all the Lorenz tubes went 
wink_face.gif

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #1,048 of 3,339
if myn ever die you might get a pm hehe.
tongue.gif

M

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #1,049 of 3,339

Quote:
     Quote:
I just wanted to make sure I had a set of backups...then backups for my backups...then backups to backup the backup backups...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

LOL

Because of HK_sends I had to buy mine half a month sooner than expected :p (last 3 when I bought mine)

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #1,050 of 3,339
     Quote:
LOL

Because of HK_sends I had to buy mine half a month sooner than expected :p (last 3 when I bought mine)

The real problem is now that I spent all that money on tubes, I have to wait before I can get a Bifrost.  My wallet needs time to recover from being bled dry. 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

...Of course, if Jason were to let me review one...
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back