Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jun 30, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #272 of 3,339

Quote:
Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose? lol

I don't know, does it?  To my knowledge Apple just kind of made up their connector.  It's still running Thunderbolt speed and specs.  Sony's is running both w/ USB as well.  Everyone seems to be making it up as they go on the Thunderbolt stuff.  

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #273 of 3,339
USB 3.0 is more than needed, imo its worthless since many people are still using the 2.0, I know it is backward compatible but it would increase the Bifrost price thanks to expensive 3.0 usb receiving chip.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #274 of 3,339
Well... I also think USB 2.0 must be enough for audio.. for now...

LightPeak (codename for Thunderbolt) was made by Intel alone. That's why besides Apple and Sony, many more companies will start using it.

And my laptop is a EliteBook 8530w that seems that doesn't have any SPDIF...

Long live to Schiit!

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #275 of 3,339
Why wouldn't you guys use the Paypal checkout? Getting charged right away or later is a big deal?

After following the JHAudio JH3A thread I'm not ready to lay out money on a preorder.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #276 of 3,339

First, can having extra bandwidth availability hurt? 

And secondly, this is meant as upgradable, if USB 2.0 would already give you anything you could ever possibly need, why make it upgradable?  You never know what the future can hold, so if USB 3.0 is available, why not use it.

You are missing the point. Audio streams are quite small compared to usb 2 bandwidth. You are making a case for making a 50 foot wide river bed for a 1 foot wide stream just in case.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #278 of 3,339

Quote:
Let's end this USB OT and focus on the Bifrost please! Anyone have any comments on how this dac chip (on paper anyway) compares to the Sabre everyone seems to be using these days?

To my ears (and some others) the AKM in my DACPort sounds like the Audio GD Sabre implementation.  Go figure.  Not sure which AKM it is though.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #279 of 3,339
Let's end this USB OT and focus on the Bifrost please! Anyone have any comments on how this dac chip (on paper anyway) compares to the Sabre everyone seems to be using these days?

-Daniel

sounds like something for Jason to answer but I have the Sabre32 chip in my DAC and its rated at 129db which is quite a bit higher than the 108db the Bifrost is rated at. Im sure the mid level Dac and high end Dac the one Im waiting for will have a higher end DAC

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #280 of 3,339

Quote:
sounds like something for Jason to answer but I have the Sabre32 chip in my DAC and its rated at 129db which is quite a bit higher than the 108db the Bifrost is rated at. Im sure the mid level Dac and high end Dac the one Im waiting for will have a higher end DAC

Wouldn't it be nice if the Schiit High-end Dac was a tubed Sabre Dac..!!!

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #281 of 3,339

Quote:

Chip rating =/= implementation rating. In fact, the EE Minimax is rated 90dB S/N through the tube output and 95 through the SS output, despite the 129dB rating of the chip.

AKM4399 = 123dB rated

Like I said, we're *very* conservative, especially on specs like this that are basically BS and benchracing.

And, I will not say anything more, but the real top-end will be *much* better than Sabre. Think total redefinition, not remixing what everyone else is doing.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #282 of 3,339

Chip rating =/= implementation rating.

AKM4399 = 123dB rated

Like I said, we're *very* conservative, especially on specs like this that are basically BS and benchracing.

And, I will not say anything more, but the real top-end will be *much* better than Sabre. Think total redefinition, not remixing what everyone else is doing.

Ready for the pre-order on that one Jason :cool:

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #283 of 3,339

Chip rating =/= implementation rating. In fact, the EE Minimax is rated 90dB S/N through the tube output and 95 through the SS output, despite the 129dB rating of the chip.

AKM4399 = 123dB rated

Awesome

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #284 of 3,339
Quote:

Not that you care, but I like your style, a lot.  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back