Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Feb 8, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #2,221 of 3,339

Quote:
It's a Samsung R580 and i'm 90% certain that it doesn't have an optical in the headphone jack.

Yeah, R580 doesn't have it. Did a little snooping around the net and found this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/507611-new-samsung-r580-touch-red-notebook-2.html

One of the users in that forum said he/she talked to Samsung's support, who replied there isn't a built-in optical in the headphone jack.

Which I find weird because the R580 is newer than the Gateway I have, which has optical output built into the headphone jack.

There are some Toslink to USB, but I don't have any experiences with them. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #2,222 of 3,339

Quote:
Yeah, R580 doesn't have it. Did a little snooping around the net and found this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/507611-new-samsung-r580-touch-red-notebook-2.html

One of the users in that forum said he/she talked to Samsung's support, who replied there isn't a built-in optical in the headphone jack.

Which I find weird because the R580 is newer than the Gateway I have, which has optical output built into the headphone jack.

There are some Toslink to USB, but I don't have any experiences with them. 

Thats what I saw when I checked. It has blue ray but not true 1080p (only 720p) and other things like that that just are half there. Would be  easier to dish out the $100 more for the USB which I really would rather not if I don't need to.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #2,223 of 3,339

Quote:

Thats what I saw when I checked. It has blue ray but not true 1080p (only 720p) and other things like that that just are half there. Would be  easier to dish out the $100 more for the USB which I really would rather not if I don't need to.

You could connect it the old-fashioned way through the headphones and splitting that signal with an RCA, but that would defeat the purpose of getting the Bifrost. USB might be the only way to go--IF you are dead-set on getting the Bifrost and your only form of listening is through your laptop. I would say explore the Toslink-USB option carefully because to me, it seems there would be so much that could mess up in the USB data to Toslink conversion; or find a cheaper USB DAC.

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #2,224 of 3,339
I understand that on Windows machines, you'll need drivers for the Bifrost? Is it me or have they taken down the download link on their website? I can't find them.
frown.gif

My order status on their website is still "Backorder" though.

Edit: Just received the notification that my Bifrost has shipped out! Can't wait!

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2,235 of 3,339
Was it just tubes that died or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back