Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Nov 19, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #1,696 of 3,339

Quote:
I have been following the thread for a while. But have not seen Biifrost compared with Wired 4 Sound or Violectric V800. I know that Bifrost may not be in that segment of DAC's but I still want to know where it stands. Thanx

I'm actually interested in this rather unusual comparison as well. I need a new source and I'm trying to decide if the extra money for a W4S DAC2 would be worth it over the bifrost which evidently punches well above its weight.

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #1,698 of 3,339
Bifrost arrived today! 

System: Mac Pro early 2008, Audirvana Plus playing Apple Lossless, SPDIF out, Bifrost (replacing Apogee Duet via Firewire), Lyr, LCD-2 (Rev 2) with Norse Audio Cable, and stock Grado PS 1000. 

No click issues. This machine is extremely revealing. I will say the Apogee Duet (FW) holds its own, and I will keep it as it does inputs as well super high quality outputs.

The big takeaway. When you get to this level of tweaking with great equipment, any small change can throw the whole thing into chaos.

On the Lyr, I was happy with the Genelex/Gold Lion tubes. I bought the Cryoset 6H23Ns found them muddy. Then got the Norse Cable and went to Audirvana Plus, and found the Genelex thin, plus there was a noise problem in one tube, so I went back to the Cryosets and it was fine as long as the Apogee was on 96khz.

Then the Bifrost came. Immediately impressed by:
1) Don't try this yourself kids - but with Audirvana on pause, turned the Lyr up to 11, and absolute SILENCE. I've never dreamed of experiencing this kind of noise floor with any audio equipment. With the FW Apogee, I had substantial hiss and a tiny bit of hum. Totally acceptable by historical standards. 

2) The separation and imaging was INTENSE.

Immediately depressed by:
The high end detail was lacking, and the over prominent bass was grainy. It reminded me of the Cryosets when I first got them. Muddy.

So, I thoroughly deoxit-ed the Gold Lions, put them back in, and have to say, this is exquisite sound! The noise is gone for now, but will buy a new set if it comes back. The Bifrost just revealed (again) the problem with these Cryoset tubes. It's not super-forgiving, accept that.

So, I'm thinking, if you have a great DAC already, don't expect miracles in terms of improvement, but it's a VERY solid machine with zero self noise, at an amazing price.

And yes, the aluminum is whiter than the Lyr. Deal with it. Other than that they look adorable stacked.

I've always gone by the philosophy of spend the max on transducers (speakers, mikes, phones) because it's a very stable technology. And have to say, it's served me well. 

I think a Schiit AMP + DAC, and Audeze phones will get you to a place where you CAN hear subtle differences in cables, tubes, software etc. at a price point UNIMAGINABLE until now. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #1,699 of 3,339

Quote:
Bifrost arrived today! 

System: Mac Pro early 2008, Audirvana Plus playing Apple Lossless, SPDIF out, Bifrost (replacing Apogee Duet via Firewire), Lyr, LCD-2 (Rev 2) with Norse Audio Cable, and stock Grado PS 1000. 

No click issues. This machine is extremely revealing. I will say the Apogee Duet (FW) holds its own, and I will keep it as it does inputs as well super high quality outputs.

The big takeaway. When you get to this level of tweaking with great equipment, any small change can throw the whole thing into chaos.

On the Lyr, I was happy with the Genelex/Gold Lion tubes. I bought the Cryoset 6H23Ns found them muddy. Then got the Norse Cable and went to Audirvana Plus, and found the Genelex thin, plus there was a noise problem in one tube, so I went back to the Cryosets and it was fine as long as the Apogee was on 96khz.

Then the Bifrost came. Immediately impressed by:
1) Don't try this yourself kids - but with Audirvana on pause, turned the Lyr up to 11, and absolute SILENCE. I've never dreamed of experiencing this kind of noise floor with any audio equipment. With the FW Apogee, I had substantial hiss and a tiny bit of hum. Totally acceptable by historical standards. 

2) The separation and imaging was INTENSE.

Immediately depressed by:
The high end detail was lacking, and the over prominent bass was grainy. It reminded me of the Cryosets when I first got them. Muddy.

So, I thoroughly deoxit-ed the Gold Lions, put them back in, and have to say, this is exquisite sound! The noise is gone for now, but will buy a new set if it comes back. The Bifrost just revealed (again) the problem with these Cryoset tubes. It's not super-forgiving, accept that.

So, I'm thinking, if you have a great DAC already, don't expect miracles in terms of improvement, but it's a VERY solid machine with zero self noise, at an amazing price.

And yes, the aluminum is whiter than the Lyr. Deal with it. Other than that they look adorable stacked.

I've always gone by the philosophy of spend the max on transducers (speakers, mikes, phones) because it's a very stable technology. And have to say, it's served me well. 

I think a Schiit AMP + DAC, and Audeze phones will get you to a place where you CAN hear subtle differences in cables, tubes, software etc. at a price point UNIMAGINABLE until now. 

1) That separation is exactly what I am looking for on my HD650's.
2) My Valhalla's top sparkle should somewhat makeup for that loss of high end detail. Big bummer on the bass though. HD650's + grainy bass = big letdown.

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #1,702 of 3,339

Quote:

I had the Valhalla before I purchased my Lyr and I definitely liked that combination.  You wont be disappointed with the Bifrost/Valhalla/HD650!

I've been trying to decide between the Bifrost+Lyr/Valhalla for my HD650.  Can you comment on your upgrade from the Valhalla to the Lyr?  My main reserve is that I have no intentions of getting ortho headphones so I'm not sure if the Lyr would be worth it or has the best synergy for the HD650.  I think I read on one of these threads that there's an increase of white noise on the Lyr due to sheer power.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #1,703 of 3,339

Quote:

I've been trying to decide between the Bifrost+Lyr/Valhalla for my HD650.  Can you comment on your upgrade from the Valhalla to the Lyr?  My main reserve is that I have no intentions of getting ortho headphones so I'm not sure if the Lyr would be worth it or has the best synergy for the HD650.  I think I read on one of these threads that there's an increase of white noise on the Lyr due to sheer power.

I had no complaints about the Valhalla/HD650 combo.  You'll find on here that most people feel the same way.  I upgraded to the Lyr because I wanted to be able to roll tubes and change the sound signature.  Unfortunately, my wallet didn't agree with that decision!  As for the white noise, I have never experienced that problem.  Bottom line, if you get either the Valhalla/Lyr and pair with the HD650's, you wont be disappointed.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #1,704 of 3,339
NO NO NO! I think people have misinterpreted my statement: "The high end detail was lacking, and the over prominent bass was grainy. It reminded me of the Cryosets when I first got them. Muddy"

What I was trying to say, is the Bifrost is VERY revealing, and the Cryoset Tubes that I'd found OK before, were now totally unacceptable. 

With the Gold Lions in my Lyr, the high end detail is totally glorious, and I'm listening right now with PS1000's which are high-end magnifying glasses (yeah, I'm old). And the bass is punchy and full.

Bifrost>Lyr (with Genelex Gold Lions)>LCD-2 (Rev 2) = GREAT!

My fault of course, the post was extremely wordy and way too long. Don't shy away from the Bifrost friends!

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #1,705 of 3,339
Haha, sorry, I probably misinterpreted you, too. I think us new Bifrost owners are excited enough by our enjoyment that we're probably getting a little defensive. Apologies.

Listening to a FLAC rip of Sparks - Kimono My House right now with my Bifrost - so lovely.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #1,706 of 3,339
Thought I would comment on clicking, in terms of audible click through the headphones it is non existent in my setup.  There is an audible click from the device itself though, I would also not boot up windows with the bifrost connected.  It forces multiple clicks if your running through spdif.   At least on my sound card.

Shouldnt effect the device but is unneeded wear and tear.  Especially at the rate.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,707 of 3,339
My Bifrost arrived today, probably one of the first in germany.

I do not use headphones and have a "normal" stereo set-up.
The Bifrost really is an eye-opener, ok ear-opener. The soundstage is wide and deep, the Highs are clear, detailed and full of body, so not peercing. Bass is tight and exciting.

It is very new to me and I have been trying a lot of classical music with high violins, they sound amazing. Music just sounds live and alive. 

I have it connected to a Squeezebox Touch, the Bifrost is a vast improvement over the Touch - which many users are already happy with.
Wonderful having an orchestra in your living room, where you have the feeling to hear exactly where all instruments are placed. The best way I can describe it is, a feeling of a live performance. Guitars also sound incredible!

You might have guessed it by now, I am more than happy with the Bifost.

Just one thing that I am not thrilled about - the very! bright light on the front. My Bifost is more less on eye-level in my Hi-Fi rack and I will need to find a way to cover it up.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #1,708 of 3,339
You will ALWAYS know your Schiit is on, because they only use Military Grade Lasers for their power indicators which are capable of taking out enemy satellites!!! :wink:

I had that problem on the Mac Mini, since it sits right under the TV. I cracked it open and put a piece of green cellophane over the LED, now it's fine. That might be possible on the Bifrost too. Recent improvements in LED output have definitely been a mixed blessing. The worst offenders get the black electrical tape treatment. I've actually started to name the constellations when I turn the lights off in my bedroom, that's another way to turn lemons into lemonade. 

Mine clicks (not thru the signal chain, it's a physical click) only when I open and close Audirvana on my Mac. Total non-issue.

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #1,709 of 3,339

Quote:
...I've actually started to name the constellations when I turn the lights off in my bedroom... 

ROTFL, I'm gonna start doing this too.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,710 of 3,339
Quote:
NO NO NO! I think people have misinterpreted my statement: "The high end detail was lacking, and the over prominent bass was grainy. It reminded me of the Cryosets when I first got them. Muddy"

What I was trying to say, is the Bifrost is VERY revealing, and the Cryoset Tubes that I'd found OK before, were now totally unacceptable. 

With the Gold Lions in my Lyr, the high end detail is totally glorious, and I'm listening right now with PS1000's which are high-end magnifying glasses (yeah, I'm old). And the bass is punchy and full.

Bifrost>Lyr (with Genelex Gold Lions)>LCD-2 (Rev 2) = GREAT!

My fault of course, the post was extremely wordy and way too long. Don't shy away from the Bifrost friends!

It's going to start showing a less merciless, more musical side after some burn-in.  I can tell you that mine continues to get better at over 100 hours.  Listening today to a rip of "We All Go Back to Where We Belong," an unreleased track from R.E.M.'s compilation CD "Part Lies, Part Truth, Part Heart, Part Garbage," Michael Stipe's voice and the entire production seemed absolutely clear and really beautiful.  I have no doubt it's a well recorded track, but I have other lots of other well-recorded material, and I think this is the best my system has sounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back