Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Nov 8, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #1,517 of 3,339

Quote:
I don't feel the dual wm8741 lack in detail in Audio-GD's implementation of it in the 10SE. Any compromise though would be justified in the price you pay and the fact it's a fully balanced setup (dac and amp). I'd love to compare the 10SE to a Lyr/Bifrost combo. At the moment, the Lyr is a bit redundant in my setup.

olor1n,
the bifrost was about to be released so I held back and kept my dosh in my pocket,  Like I said cant beat that for the price,  but the best thing is that it has analog resistor ladder, that is relay switch in the I/V, enough drive that eliminates  a preamp; PERFECT!  Be interested with Bifrost owners who already have a NFB2/3 to compare!!!

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #1,518 of 3,339

Quote:
No, dont think so,  but I'm going to confess,  I'm not a fan for "burning-in" solid state and I know many on this thread will think otherwise!!!!

I know that this is a controversial topic.  I'll state the following...1) I do have an advanced degree in EE (but digital, not analog, and it's been almost 28 years since my semiconductor courses) and 2) I absolutely do *not* have a definitive answer to this.  I do know that semiconductors and dialectrics can change with use and it is often cumulative.  (In particular, electrostatic damage is cumulative, so while tolerant of some handling it can eventual lead to enough damage of the dialectic to cause failure).  Those changes can affect the linearity and stability of the solid state device.  Whether that is actually beneficial or detrimental to SQ is hard to predict and likely varies with design and, in some cases, individual units.  And some very clever designers create circuits that are robust against this drift.

Sorry, not helpful in terms of burn-in vs. non-burn-in.  However, it does inform my tendency to allow burn in...if for no other reason to try to quickly get the SQ into the portion of the device's lifespan that is mostly stable.

(Actually, I kind of regret posting this...it's pretty off topic and I apologize to the thread.  Can I delete this?)

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,520 of 3,339

Quote:
Thank you for your kinds words, and thanks also to the other dudes liking my gear. But credit must be given to the product designers at Schiit Audio and Beyerdynamic for creating good looking and great sounding products. I’m just a customer :)

In case anybody is interested to see more from my multi-room setup: I posted some pictures in the computer audio forum here at Head-Fi.

Werner.

wberghofer,

I'm sure you're related to the gods, either Thor or the Titans, cause that picture with the view in the living room is not taken on Earth!!!!  LOL

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #1,521 of 3,339
@redmonddad (burn-in) - no need to delete, it's sufficiently on topic and that was an interesting contribution. You can't delete anyway - that's reserved for the moderators - but you can edit your posts to blank. A short explanation is a good habit.

@RazorJack - good point concerning the Stagedac. I will take that into account. Thanks.

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #1,522 of 3,339

Quote:
I didn't think that the WM chips will be as detailed as the EE mini max or the Bifrost!  So committed on the EE mini max +. 

Someone has obviously never heard a PS Audio PWD.

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #1,523 of 3,339
Nov 9, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #1,524 of 3,339

Quote:
Someone has obviously never heard a PS Audio PWD.

The PS Audio Dac or music server is the most advanced unit money can buy, has every known output like I2S, balanced out and can replaced a preamp, why would you pay 6000 euro for a dac that is based on a WM when there are dacs like the bifrost , 9018 Sabre,  Audio gd 10es  and Teddy Pardo on a budget like mine  Youre right, i haven't heard one and probably never will.  To listen to one I have to sell my house, to own one sell the wife and kids and rob a bank!
If you have heard or own one, I am jealous, just letting you know in advance!!!  LOL

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #1,526 of 3,339
Has anyone had to sign when receiving their Bifrost from FedEx or will they leave it at the door?  I missed my LCD-2 when they needed a signature from FedEx. I cant really stay home easily today but if it requires a sig I might anyway.

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,528 of 3,339

Quote:
Has anyone had to sign when receiving their Bifrost from FedEx or will they leave it at the door?  I missed my LCD-2 when they needed a signature from FedEx. I cant really stay home easily today but if it requires a sig I might anyway.

With Fedex you must show ID and signed for the package I have never known Fedex to leave a package without a signiture.  If no one is home you must pick up the package acording to the details on the card they leave behind.  They are more secure than most.

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,529 of 3,339

Quote:

With Fedex you must show ID and signed for the package I have never known Fedex to leave a package without a signiture.  If no one is home you must pick up the package acording to the details on the card they leave behind.  They are more secure than most.

Not for me. My bifrost was just sitting there after I got back from class

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,530 of 3,339

Quote:

Well that stinks. I already came in to the office. Lots harder to escape now but I probably will hi tail it out of here anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back