Schiit Bifrost vs Gungnir
Dec 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #31 of 43
I wanted to throw in my experience between the the Bitfrost with Uber upgrade and the Gungnir.

One of my systems: Monitor Audio Pl100 speakers, Parasound A23 Amp, Sonos connect and Simaudio 5.3p preamp. I was using the Ubered Bitfrost in this system and was very happy with it. The Gungnir was used on my other system.  I never set time aside to do a direct comparison between the 2 DAC's.

I recently sent my Moon 5.3P preamp in for the SE upgrade. I was told from Simaudio that there would be 50 hour burn in period after the upgrade. When I hooked the Preamp backup with the Bitfrost (coax) in the same configuration as it was in the past(balanced inputs from the Preamp to the Parasound Amp) I was shocked that all my detail and musicality went away. Someone threw a sheet over my speakers from what I remembered of the sound I had had previously befroe the SE upgrade.

Being so unhappy I was contemplating selling the Upgraded preamp but thought I would try the Gungnir to see if it would help. All I can say is WOW.

The sheet was lifted off my speakers and I can honestly say that the combination of the Gungnir and the upgraded preamp produced a cleaner and much more natural sound than I had before.

I am more than happy now as the Gungnir has saved the day and I did not waste my investment on the Preamp upgrade.

It sounds so go now the Gungnir has a new home.

My personal opinion the 2 Dacs are not in the same league.

Note to be fair I used the balance outputs from the Gungnir to the Preamp where unbalanced were used when the Bitfrost was in place.

Problem now is I am short a Dac for my other system and can't seem to get anything concrete timing on the Yggdrasil

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #32 of 43
I wanted to throw in my experience between the the Bitfrost with Uber upgrade and the Gungnir.

One of my systems: Monitor Audio Pl100 speakers, Parasound A23 Amp, Sonos connect and Simaudio 5.3p preamp. I was using the Ubered Bitfrost in this system and was very happy with it. The Gungnir was used on my other system.  I never set time aside to do a direct comparison between the 2 DAC's.

I recently sent my Moon 5.3P preamp in for the SE upgrade. I was told from Simaudio that there would be 50 hour burn in period after the upgrade. When I hooked the Preamp backup with the Bitfrost (coax) in the same configaration as it was in the past(balanced inputs from the Preamp to the Parasound Amp)

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #33 of 43
Hmm so my question now is: should I upgrade my DAC from Bifrost to Gungnir or upgrade my HE500 to the HE6 ? choices choices......

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #34 of 43
Depends which amp you'll be running HE-6 on. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #35 of 43
My amp is a Project Ember from Garage1217 which allows for a lot of tube rolling, it outputs just about 2 watts. I it powers the HE6 surprisingly well and I've never had to go more than half way on the volume pot and fantastic with the HE500. The only thing is if I go to the Gungnir I may have to stick with single end or invest more time in trying to find a balanced system. I havn't seen many balanced tube amps capable of tube rolling. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #36 of 43
  My amp is a Project Ember from Garage1217 which allows for a lot of tube rolling, it outputs just about 2 watts. I it powers the HE6 surprisingly well and I've never had to go more than half way on the volume pot and fantastic with the HE500. The only thing is if I go to the Gungnir I may have to stick with single end or invest more time in trying to find a balanced system. I havn't seen many balanced tube amps capable of tube rolling. 

Get the Bifrost Uber upgrade card. It is nearly as good as the Gungir when running in single end.

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #37 of 43

The Ember is a really nice amp. I agree. I think Bifrost would be better utilized than the Gungnir in this application.

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #38 of 43
My question is: Bitfrost Uber, Gungnir, or hold out for Yggdrasil?

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #39 of 43
Depends on your amp. No reason to gimp Yggy. So just add Ragnarok to your list!

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #42 of 43
Aug 10, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #43 of 43
Prices are different here in the UK. Due to my budget, I was set on the Bifrost non-Uber for £260 then would add the Uber upgrade later for £70. However I just saw the Gungnir for only £380! I'm gonna guess there's no question and I should wait a bit longer and get that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back