Schiit Bifrost V.S. Peachtree DAC-iT
Aug 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #31 of 71
Quote:
Wow where did u find the DAC iT for $263?    Great deal!    Anyway, I just ordered the DAC iTx and hope to have it in my hands soon !   I was between the BiFrost and the DAC iT, but everything I've read thus far tip the balance toward the DAC iT.

Audio Advisor   They do a weekly clearance newsletter on twitter.    https://twitter.com/audioadvisor

Im very happy with it so far.  Great upgrade for me.   The blue lights kinda annoying and Iv been too impatient to wait to see if it auto shuts itself off after a bit like a subwoofer does.  I keep pressing the standby button when I turn off the pc changing it to a less annoying single green light.
I was surprised to find the bottom of it had a grippy rubber vibration mat attached.  Nice touch.  Unit feels very solid.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #33 of 71
If we can resurrect this thread, I'd love to hear your comparison spaceace. I run an Uber Bifrost myself and my roommate just committed to a Peachtree Dac-it X, I'd love to hear your comparison before I take my own measurements!

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #34 of 71
  If we can resurrect this thread, I'd love to hear your comparison spaceace. I run an Uber Bifrost myself and my roommate just committed to a Peachtree Dac-it X, I'd love to hear your comparison before I take my own measurements!

Please do! I want to know as well since I'm a Schiit owner. I had the toughest time deciding between the two but went with Schiit since it stacked with my Asgard

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #35 of 71
I may give the dacit another try

i briefly had both at the same time, the schiit nonubered, and the dacIT, no x
very, very close, i went bifrost because of the upgrade path, its now ubered
maybe find a used dacITx and see how they compare

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #37 of 71
Alright, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I finally got around to a comprehensive A/B test between the Uber Bifrost and DAC-iT x. The difference, from what most listeners were hearing, was quite apparent through our bottlehead cracks + hd650s / t1s. The peachtree was noticeably less lush and full in its presentation. It was analytical and, to my ears, a bit boring when compared to the Uber Bi. The Bifrost was lively, and the bass was quite obviously more present than in the peachtree. The treble may be a bit pushed forward in comparison as well. I could see somebody preferencing either for preferred qualities - the peachtree is cold and balanced, and the uber bifrost was a little warmer and much more akin to live music (vs. sounding like a studio recording). 

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in for anybody considering the two!

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #38 of 71
  Alright, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I finally got around to a comprehensive A/B test between the Uber Bifrost and DAC-iT x. The difference, from what most listeners were hearing, was quite apparent through our bottlehead cracks + hd650s / t1s. The peachtree was noticeably less lush and full in its presentation. It was analytical and, to my ears, a bit boring when compared to the Uber Bi. The Bifrost was lively, and the bass was quite obviously more present than in the peachtree. The treble may be a bit pushed forward in comparison as well. I could see somebody preferencing either for preferred qualities - the peachtree is cold and balanced, and the uber bifrost was a little warmer and much more akin to live music (vs. sounding like a studio recording). 

Wow that's great! That's sort of what I'm hearing through my Asgard 2 and Bifrost stack. The two mesh very well because the Asgard 2 is no lean amp at all but one that tends to be on the warm side of neutral. I run them both to a DT880 which is considered an analytical headphone. I have the synergy and musicality I need to bring these DT880s to life. I really want to get a tube amp like the Bottlehead Crack though to venture into the DIY world of audio.

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #39 of 71
Not to derail here, but the dt880s are AWESOME cans IMO. They were one of my first forays into headphones, and I still miss them sometimes when listening to friends' pairs. I know that they get hate from some peeps for their "jack of all trades, master of none" inclination, but as somebody who listens to lots of varied music, I think that is the perfect goal for phones. I feel that tubes bring a similar forgiveness to music as the 880s, and after moving to the t1s, I can safely say that I need tubes in my setup, so I highly recommend trying them - diy audio is a blast! 

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #40 of 71

Awesome and thank you for resurrecting this and adding your impressions.  I had already ordered an UberFrost, prior to reading this, to complement my Asgard 2, so reading this has really backed my decision.  

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #41 of 71
Not to add fuel to the resurrection of this old thread, I have just received my new Peachtree DAC-ITx.  It is very good and has a larger soundstage (with the mids slightly recessed) compared to my HRT Music Streamer II+.  I am enjoying this unit very much.

I was deciding between this and the Uberfied Bitfrost as well, in the end the price difference was too great to justify the Uberfied Bitfrost.  

I got the DAC-ITx on sale right now for $399 while the Uberfied Bitfrost is going for $519 (for USB and Uber analogue upgrade).  If you are considering the Uberfied Bitfrost t the $519 price range, I would also throw in the Resonance Labs' Concero DAC and I personally may go the Concero route.

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #42 of 71
  Not to add fuel to the resurrection of this old thread, I have just received my new Peachtree DAC-ITx.  It is very good and has a larger soundstage (with the mids slightly recessed) compared to my HRT Music Streamer II+.  I am enjoying this unit very much.

I was deciding between this and the Uberfied Bitfrost as well, in the end the price difference was too great to justify the Uberfied Bitfrost.  

I got the DAC-ITx on sale right now for $399 while the Uberfied Bitfrost is going for $519 (for USB and Uber analogue upgrade).  If you are considering the Uberfied Bitfrost t the $519 price range, I would also throw in the Resonance Labs' Concero DAC and I personally may go the Concero route.

I personaly liked the Concero better.  So +1

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #43 of 71
My other roommate actually just got a Resonessence Labs Concero DAC in a couple weeks ago, so once I get a chance to A/B them I'll make sure to come leave my impression. I grabbed my USB Uber for about $410 from a head-fi member, so I think all 3 DACs have pretty competitive prices in the used market. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #44 of 71
  My other roommate actually just got a Resonessence Labs Concero DAC in a couple weeks ago, so once I get a chance to A/B them I'll make sure to come leave my impression. I grabbed my USB Uber for about $410 from a head-fi member, so I think all 3 DACs have pretty competitive prices in the used market. 

Great!  I can't wait to see what you thought of the Concero vs. the Uberfied Bitfrost.  Did your roommate get the regular Concero (which uses the ESS Sabre 9023 chip) or the Concero HD/HP (which uses the ESS 9018 chip)?

Also, I was comparing the brand new price of all the 3 DACs, Peachtree is now only going for $399 new, while the Uber Bitfrost is going for $519 new while the Concero is going for $599 new.  

Even in the used market, the Peachtree cannot go for more than $399 as that will make it more expensive than a new unit.  I would expect a mint DAC-ITx to go for around $300 while the older DAC-IT (not 24/192 capable) to be going for around the $200 range.  That will still put the Peachtree to be quite a bit below Schiit or Resonance Labs.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #45 of 71
I'm pretty sure it's the standard Concero, but I'll 2x check of course! It's not too often that I buy equipment brand new, since peeps on here seem to cycle through things so fast - but either way, I think the DAC-ITx and UberBi are probably properly priced in relation to one another. The DAC-ITx also lacks 32-bit depth support, which I find myself using more frequently as dedicated vinyl rippers push the limits on consumer tech. Of course, the Bi doesn't have a remote or a sleep timer like the Peachtree, so you choose your battles. 

Either way, I'll try and carve out some good A/B/C comparisons soon if I can, although it'll be hard to pull me away from the record player :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back