Schiit Bifrost V.S. Peachtree DAC-iT
Feb 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

spaceace1014

100+ Head-Fier
I already own a Bifrost and I have a DAC-iT in the mail. It should get here in a week or so. There were not a whole lot of good comparisons but both seem to be well liked and seem to be on the same level. I know there are a few of you who have been or at least were looking for this comparison. 

Here's the setup: 

Home: April Music Stello U3(COAX) -> DAC ->Stax SRM1 / MK II -> Stax SR-507

Office:  Macbook PRO(TOSLINK) -> DAC -> Maxed Headroom Desktop amp -> Sennheiser HD-650

Winner gets hooked up to the Stax. 

Anyone care to take a bet on which one will end up at the office?

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 71
i'm very very interested with this comparison, please keep it updated! my guess is the bifrost would end up at work and the dac-it gets hooked up with the sex.. err stax!

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 71
I'll keep this simple. 

With my Stax SR-507's the difference is not subtle. The DAC-iT is clearer, has a better soundstage, it has a less forward presentation and is also brighter. I prefer it strongly. The Bifrost is going up for sale.  

The Bifrost is not a bad DAC and it easily bested my HRT Music Streamer 2 but it still loses to the DAC-iT.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 71
I actually just received my DAC-IT in the mail a couple of days ago. I have owned the Bifrost for close to a year now (wanted to buy the DAC-IT to begin with, but I found a used non-usb Bifrost for really, really cheap and it paired nicely with my Lyr). Immediately upon listening to the DAC-IT I found that it sounded more "full" as well as a lot clearer/more crisp. Bass seems more detailed and tight on my LCD-2s compared to the Bifrost, soundstage also quite a bit better. It seems to slightly outperform the Schiit in pretty much every way so far. I do think both sound really good, but the DAC-IT sounds better to my ears.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 71
Quote:
I actually just received my DAC-IT in the mail a couple of days ago. I have owned the Bifrost for close to a year now (wanted to buy the DAC-IT to begin with, but I found a used non-usb Bifrost for really, really cheap and it paired nicely with my Lyr). Immediately upon listening to the DAC-IT I found that it sounded more "full" as well as a lot clearer/more crisp. Bass seems more detailed and tight on my LCD-2s compared to the Bifrost, soundstage also quite a bit better. It seems to slightly outperform the Schiit in pretty much every way so far. I do think both sound really good, but the DAC-IT sounds better to my ears.

I have been looking at these two DACs, trying to decide which one I will pick up.  I am currently leaning towards the Dac-iT, so this kind of confirms that thinking.

May 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 71
Thanks for the brief comparison, there aren't many comparisons or reviews for the dacit. I briefly compared the ODAC to my dacit + teralink psu and found that they were VERY simliar (they both use the sabre ESS es9023 chip), but the dacit was slightly more detailed, string instruments had more body and air to them, and vocals sounded more intimate and alive. It's hard to say if the dacit is worth ~$300 more than the odac though.

Would be nice if other people can pitch in their reviews or comparisons for this great dac.

May 7, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 71
In the end I went with the Bifrost. I got it with their updated USB board and and upgraded the analog board to the new uber version. I never did get to listen to the Dacit, but am very happy with the Bifrost.

May 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 71
So I Just installed the Uber upgrade for my Bifrost about an hour ago. Its not a hard process and while I have yet to do a real detailed head to head against my Peachtree my initial impression is this: Do not buy a Bifrost without the Uber upgrade. The change is drastic.

Uber Bottom on left. Standard Right.

Uber top. Uber is on the left

May 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 71
I will but its going to take a few days. I want to let the bifrost break and I want to get used to how it sounds. At this very moment without a fully fledged opinion of the new bifrost upgrade I still think the peachtree may be better so if you absolutely can not wait get that one but both are good... just don't get the bifrost without the upgrade that one is night and day. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back