Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Aug 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #391 of 1,448
I did try that first but didn't listen for very long and also noticed a significant drop in volume when connected directly to the bifrost. Im going to audition it again connecting directly to bifrost. Its just inconvenient having to connect and disconnect when switching from headphones and receiver

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #392 of 1,448
Don't know if anyone is still interested in Uber impressions, but since I now have, for me, a clear picture of it, I thought I would throw it out.

My June/July time was about 90% at our lake place where the "upfront & lively" Valhalla/Grado RS1i setup resides. I described previously the improvements in dynamics and texture I felt I was hearing.

Now back in Seattle, I've had a couple weeks, with many new and old albums on my "truth telling" Stax setup. Simple comment--I can't believe how well the Bifrost plays with equipment that is beyond the Valhalla/Grado setup. Soundstage wide, tall, deep; realistic bass impact (NOT louder or more bass); completely relaxed presentation yet gobs of texture and detail all over the place; true instrumental timbre; no in your face, no missteps. Repeatedly end up listening to entire albums instead of a couple cuts.

Still haven't purchased Gen 2 USB, just waiting and watching as impressions and reviews show up. My system, from file delivery to transducer, is as simple as I can make it so there isn't much to do except Gen 2 update or spend way more on another dac.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #393 of 1,448
Don't know if anyone is still interested in Uber impressions, but since I now have, for me, a clear picture of it, I thought I would throw it out.

Now back in Seattle, I've had a couple weeks, with many new and old albums on my "truth telling" Stax setup. Simple comment--I can't believe how well the Bifrost plays with equipment that is beyond the Valhalla/Grado setup. Soundstage wide, tall, deep; realistic bass impact (NOT louder or more bass); completely relaxed presentation yet gobs of texture and detail all over the place; true instrumental timbre; no in your face, no missteps. Repeatedly end up listening to entire albums instead of a couple cuts.

Thanks for the review.

I have a Stax SRS-2170 system and have been pondering picking up an Uber Bifrost for those 'phones. Very nice review.

I have an iBasso D12, but I'm sure the Stax deserve a better DAC than the iBasso.
No offense to iBasso, but the D12 is $275 and about the size of a matchbox. It is what it is: a great portable DAC for the money.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #394 of 1,448
Thanks for the review.

I have a Stax SRS-2170 system and have been pondering picking up an Uber Bifrost for those 'phones. Very nice review.

I have an iBasso D12, but I'm sure the Stax deserve a better DAC than the iBasso.
No offense to iBasso, but the D12 is $275 and about the size of a matchbox. It is what it is: a great portable DAC for the money.

If you go USB, it will have the Gen 2 USB in it. I'll be interested in your impressions. The Stax will be a window on whatever you have upstream.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #395 of 1,448
I thought I'd post this here. I just got a Bifrost uber. I am replacing this with a emotiva xda-1. I hook up the bifrost to my pc via toslink and there was no sound, using jriver. I then took it out of my pc and connected it to my cd player and that worked. Then i remember i have foobar on my pc which i dont use because i like jriver better. I open foobar and it works with that. So i start messing with the settings of jriver and i think putting the sample rate to "no change" did it. 

Now the third day with the bifrost. I start hearing clipping sounds then the sound would go off. Then I had to play around the setting and it would starting having sound again. This happened with foobar as well. This dac is very sensitive to my pc. Also sound quality wise it isnt better than the xda-1. The clipping sound is annoying as hell. So far this hasnt been a good experience.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #396 of 1,448
I thought I'd post this here. I just got a Bifrost uber. I am replacing this with a emotiva xda-1. I hook up the bifrost to my pc via toslink and there was no sound, using jriver. I then took it out of my pc and connected it to my cd player and that worked. Then i remember i have foobar on my pc which i dont use because i like jriver better. I open foobar and it works with that. So i start messing with the settings of jriver and i think putting the sample rate to "no change" did it. 

Now the third day with the bifrost. I start hearing clipping sounds then the sound would go off. Then I had to play around the setting and it would starting having sound again. This happened with foobar as well. This dac is very sensitive to my pc. Also sound quality wise it isnt better than the xda-1. The clipping sound is annoying as hell. So far this hasnt been a good experience.

Same toslink cable with all sources?

Ask Schiit about the situation.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #397 of 1,448
I've had the Uber Bifrost (with USB2 & Uber Analog) for the better part of nearly three weeks now.  Since arriving, I've used it exclusively with my BH Crack (w/ speedball and other upgrades).  On average, I've used it three to four hours a day (typically more, sometimes less).. exclusively via the USB2 interface.  When not in use, I've left the UB powered on... so it's been on continuously since it arrived (sufficient "burn-in" & use for those who might be concerned with these processes).

I've used the HD800 & FA-002w HE with UB/BH Crack combo.. and so far, come away extremely pleased with the performance.  OOTB, the UB did not sound all that much better than the ODAC.  That isn't necessarily a knock on the UB cause I'm very happy with the ODAC (and both the ODAC & UB are exceedingly transparent), but I was wondering what I paid (nearly four times the price of the ODAC) for.  After using the UB for a week or so.. and comparing with the ODAC again.. I found the difference in SQ between the two DACs to be quite distinguishable.  The thing that was most apparent was the soundstage size.. with the UB, it was noticeably wider, deeper, and taller.  The ODAC's stage sounded flatter, more 2D, in comparison.  Via the UB, imaging cues were more precise and even easier to pinpoint than they w/ the ODAC... so the UB puts its larger soundstage to good use.  The UB offers better instrument separation and clarity over the ODAC, as well.  More generally speaking, the UB sounds a bit more articulate and better detailed at the extremes of the freq spectrum... for example, the ODAC sounds almost rolled off at the very upper treble frequencies in comparison to the UB.  This isn't a case of the UB 'enhancing' or 'coloring' the upper treble to increase perceived detail and presence.. the UB simply reveals the musical information in those regions through better clarity and extension.  Same goes for the bass frequencies.  The midrange on both the ODAC & UB are very similar.. but the UB enjoys better depth, resolution, and space.. so it leads to a more 'realistic' midrange, IMO.

So far, I've found the UB to be a worthwhile and valuable 'upgrade' to the ODAC.  I still love the ODAC (and use it with my portable rig) and find it one of the best values around.  I feel comfortable saying that if you like the ODAC.. you'll love the UB.. as the UB seems like a more refined, articulate, & detailed version of the ODAC.  Taking its performance into account, I feel the UB is priced precisely where it should be in relation to the ODAC (~$160).  The improvement in sound seems appropriately consummate with the increase in price in this instance, for me at least.  I think the UB would, quite comfortably, go head-to-head with many DACs in the $1K-1.2K range.  Considering the performance of the UB and how impressed I've been, I don't anticipate getting another (desktop) DAC for the foreseeable future.  It certainly doesn't feel like a bottleneck in my rig and I love Schiit's modular/upgradeable architecture to 'future-proof' this DAC.  With Schiit's 'statement' amp/dac coming out in the next year or so, I think it's safe to expect some of the innovative advancements in DAC architecture to eventually trickle down to the Bifrost.  Until then, I'm more than satisfied with what the current UB has to offer.

..next up will be a comparison with the Violectric V800.

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #399 of 1,448
I have a (perhaps) weird question about a burn-in on the Bifrost Uber.  My setup is in my sig.

Before I sent the Bifrost away for the uber upgrade, I had consistent sound 100% of the time - meaning everything was burned in fully.  After receiving it back with the Uber upgrade about 1.5 months ago or so, it has been powered on 24/7 and I must have at least 250 hours, and probably much more, on it.  I'm still not getting consistent sound.  One day it may sound fantastic and then within the next day or two, it goes back to mediocre.

Today, after letting it burn in and play music all night long, like I have on many previous nights, I turned on my amp and the sound was mediocre again.  However, I physically disconnected the amp RCA inputs (Bifrost outputs) and returned about 10 minutes later.  When I connected the input back, the sound was immediately back to amazing.  Now mind you that all my gear continued to run during that time - and the only change was the physical disconnection of the RCA cables.

It sounds like to me perhaps it needs even more burn-in time?  Or perhaps I should turn the power off when not in use?  Does anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences they may like to share?

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #400 of 1,448
Have posted uber impressions (using cans) over the last couple months. Today inserted it into the Sonic Frontiers/Sonus Faber rig. Wow! Dynamic swings are so much more apparent with speakers! Did I forget how "alive" speakers can be?

Jeff Beck
Reiner- Chicago Symphony
Giant Sand
Miles

Doesn't matter what I listen to--my previous comments about the uber upgrade are confirmed--DYNAMICS! A critical part of realistic playback.

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #402 of 1,448
Quote:

Today, after letting it burn in and play music all night long, like I have on many previous nights, I turned on my amp and the sound was mediocre again.

I thought you left it on all night.
rolleyes.gif
  I just turn my gear on when I want to listen to it and turn it off when I'm finished.   Simple, Yes?   I think "burn in" beyond a few hours is voodoo and performance swings from "Fantastic" to "Mediocre"  suggests a component failure somewhere in the chain.   It's no wonder leaving the gear on and running 24/7.  Voodoo I say, Voodoo.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #403 of 1,448
Quote:
I thought you left it on all night.
rolleyes.gif
  I just turn my gear on when I want to listen to it and turn it off when I'm finished.   Simple, Yes?   I think "burn in" beyond a few hours is voodoo and performance swings from "Fantastic" to "Mediocre"  suggests a component failure somewhere in the chain.   It's no wonder leaving the gear on and running 24/7.  Voodoo I say, Voodoo.

Everything was left on but the amp itself.  I definitely get that some people can't seem to hear the difference between burned-in and non-burned-in equipment.  I was (fortunately or unfortunately) born with great hearing, and can easily hear it.  Heck, my USB and SPDIF cables took 150 or so hours before they sounded fantastic.  I had read somewhere that you didn't need to have the amp on in order to burn in a DAC, so a majority of my burn-in time was done with the amp off.  I'm beginning to think this was a mistake; the output section is new and what needs to be burned in and perhaps the amp does indeed need to be on for the current to flow properly.  Since I don't like to leave my tube amp running all night, I brought out my SS amp and will run absolutely everything 24/7 and see how it goes.  FWIW, "mediocre" sound can best be described as somewhat fuzzy and out of focus, while "fantastic" sound is just the opposite with pinpoint focus and accuracy.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #404 of 1,448
I thought you left it on all night. :rolleyes:   I just turn my gear on when I want to listen to it and turn it off when I'm finished.   Simple, Yes?   I think "burn in" beyond a few hours is voodoo and performance swings from "Fantastic" to "Mediocre"  suggests a component failure somewhere in the chain.   It's no wonder leaving the gear on and running 24/7.  Voodoo I say, Voodoo.

IMO burn-in is real, and there are two kinds of burn-in.

"Component burn-in"

"Listener burn-in"

...and it's real difficult to tell them apart.

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #405 of 1,448
The above info actually helped, believe it or not.  It seems that, while certainly burn-in needs to be done, it also helps to power down the equipment to give the components (caps most likely) time to settle.  I've rearranged my equipment so I can turn them on/off with a single remote switch, so now I power them on only when used, since I've already allowed for enough burn-in time.  The sound is now past fantastic to incredible.  I guess I don't need to mention that the Uber upgrade was well worth the price. 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back