Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Aug 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #376 of 1,448
+1, with this proviso: I have learned my wife's perception is also my reality - perhaps my only reality - as she reminds me often.

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #377 of 1,448
Quote:
Burn in on a DAC? Nah its just the placebo affect IMO.

Any way you cas do a serious A/B comparison of the two dacs? I have been considering another Bifrost for my office but if I can save $400...

Burn in is legit. Actually the Bifrost sounds a lot better if you find a lynch mob with pitchforks and torches that maul it like an angry bear. 

I too would like a A/b comparison of the two dacs. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #378 of 1,448
Quote:
A man's perception is his reality. And since this whole hobby is based on our perceptions of sound, whatever helps you perceive better sound by all means indulge yourself.

This hobby is a broad church and allows for many different approaches. There is a place for those who are also interested in objective measurements of accuracy (low noise, low distortion, flat FR etc), if for no reason other than to confirm that the design is half-competent, which sadly in the realms of high end audio is not always a given

http://www.stereophile.com/content/mcintosh-ms750-music-server-measurements

http://www.stereophile.com/content/zanden-5000-mkivsignature-da-converter-2000-premium-cd-transport-measurements

http://www.stereophile.com/content/harmonic-technology-cyberlight-wave-p2a-interconnects-measurements

http://www.stereophile.com/content/head-direct-hifiman-hm-602-digital-audio-player-measurements

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #380 of 1,448
Quote:
Quote:
How do isolation feet change the sound of a solid state device? Did you try changing the isolation feet of your pc?

Yes, actually, just some Vibrapod model 5's. Helped things marginally.

For me this is hard to imagine. How would you explain that and what are you hearing differently?

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #381 of 1,448
Quote:
+1, with this proviso: I have learned my wife's perception is also my reality - perhaps my only reality - as she reminds me often.

+1 on that..

Fly---give it a good 100 hours..things do smooth out a bit
At least,thats what my ears told me...

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #382 of 1,448
Quote:

Well there is that! 
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #383 of 1,448
I agree, burn-in is legit. I wasn't satisfied with the sound of my bifrost for the first few days after receiving it, but something happened that changed my mind. The only thing I can attribute the change to is time used. I was ready to return it but the sound just gets more real with time. My only problem now is should I return it and get the Gungnir? Somebody help.

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #384 of 1,448
Can anyone who has had both usb boards for the bifrost tell me if there is any physical differences?

I received mine from a local reseller and it looks exactly the same - tested it and no 176.

Cheers
Paul

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #385 of 1,448
Jonesin' 2 subscribe.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #386 of 1,448
Quote:
Can anyone who has had both usb boards for the bifrost tell me if there is any physical differences?

I received mine from a local reseller and it looks exactly the same - tested it and no 176.

Cheers
Paul

Did you check your software settings? In JRiver I need to  tell my DragonFly to down convert 176 and 192 to 88 and 96, if I got a Bifrost I'd have to go into the software and change those settings....

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #387 of 1,448
Quote:

Cheers
Paul

Check page #3 post #45 there are pictures of the two boards.  There is  jumper on the chip and a chip solder in crooked in one corner on the new boards.

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #389 of 1,448
I have a similar issue with my Schiit Bifrost Uber.  It sounds a bit thin and highs seem over emphasized (bright) and lots of sibilance when compared to my other dac I used Burson Audio Conductor.  But I am using the pre-out from the Lyr to my 2 channel Marantz 15s2 with Paradigm Reference Studio 60 V3s.  I want to tame the brightness down and wish there was a little more low end.  I'm not sure if its my Lyr with the tubes creating the sound or my Bifrost Uber.  I did order the 1968 NOS Telefunken E88CC so hopefully that will change the sound to more a rich fuller sound without the harshness.  Even when connected to my Senn hd800 sounds a bit thin and bright.  

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #390 of 1,448
Quote:
I have a similar issue with my Schiit Bifrost Uber.  It sounds a bit thin and highs seem over emphasized (bright) and lots of sibilance when compared to my other dac I used Burson Audio Conductor.  But I am using the pre-out from the Lyr to my 2 channel Marantz 15s2 with Paradigm Reference Studio 60 V3s.  I want to tame the brightness down and wish there was a little more low end.  I'm not sure if its my Lyr with the tubes creating the sound or my Bifrost Uber.  I did order the 1968 NOS Telefunken E88CC so hopefully that will change the sound to more a rich fuller sound without the harshness.  Even when connected to my Senn hd800 sounds a bit thin and bright.  

Have you tried going straight from Bifrost Uber into the Marantz and bypassing the Lyr?  To me, the Uber has plenty of low end, but I'm using it into an older tube pre and into a B&K SS amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back