Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Jul 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #361 of 1,448
Quote:
I can hear differences between my gear, the WA2 with stock tubes stomps my LD2++ with every tube combination I have tried. Is the difference HUGE....  probably not as big as I make it sound, as my wife just shrugged and said they both sound good. lol. But to ME the difference is worth every penny of the cost of admission.

The difference between my WA2 and my Asgard2 is pretty darn obvious (even to my wife). The Asgard is faster and sharper then the Woo but the Woo has better bass and a much larger sound stage. I love the Woo with ANYTHING acoustic or music that is nicely layered like Dave Matthews or Sarah Mclaughlin etc. And well recorded metal is stellar on the Woo like the Metallica Black album or the newer Testament stuff. BUT the Asgard is really great with any of the older metal that I throw at it, anything from my collection that is not recorded as well like older Slayer and Metallica.

Now the Bifrost compared to the DAC in the Ipure, honestly, I have a hard time using the Ipure alone at work and am considering getting another Bifrost for the office. The sound from the Ipure's DAC just seems congested compared to the Bifrost. I think of course I am comparing apples to oranges when you consider the two products but in the very least the "every DAC sounds the same" idea gets destroyed here. But the Ipure is  great and worth every penny as a stand alone dock anyways.

There is absolutely a point of diminishing returns when you get to the higher dollar gear, that is why I decided to go with the WA2 and the Asgard2 instead of just one higher priced or "better" piece. This way I figure I have the best of both worlds and can choose which sound I want by what mood I am in and I have a system that will play well with any future can purchases.

YM

Using your favorite amp ,have you done any comparisons with the bifrost,uber bifrost  ,vs ,the Ipure dac ??
Out of the 3,which one do you prefer , overall.

I agree with you regarding,having the wife listening ,when I make changes to my system {most of the time with Tubes?} -but her ears are not the same as mine...so...the test is kind of futile??

Agreed?

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #362 of 1,448
I never had the NON Uber Bifrost, I had considered buying mine without the upgrade and installing it later just to see if there was a difference but ended up just getting my Bifrost "loaded" from the get go.

I have compared the Bifrost to the Ipures DAC on all three of my amps and it bests the Ipure in almost every way, hence the reason for thinking about buying a second Bifrost for my office. :wink:

I will say this though, if I had not had the funds for the Bifrost I could live quite happily with just the Ipure. Using its onboard DAC is leagues above coming out of the headphone jack and splitting the signal to RCA jacks to use with an amp. PLUS the Ipure has a remote!

YMMV.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #363 of 1,448
Hello guys!

I would like to know how long did you guys waited from ordering the upgrade up to receiving it (no installation)?  I am curious as I ordered mine:

Order Number: 8244
Date Ordered: Sunday 14 July, 2013
Detailed Invoice:

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x UBER ANALOG UPGRADE = $70.00
        Installation, Uber Analog No Installation

I still do not have it nor receive any notification.  I left a message on voicemail and sent an email 7/15 and got no reply.
Thanks!

FWIW, I use my Bifrost with Senns and AKG's, critical listening with CD as source is  CDP>Bifrost>type 26 preamp>DHT amp>horns(101db Eff).  At present, I cannot ask for more as far as sound quality is concern on my set up.  So I am intrigue what this Uber upgrade can really do(improve sq or not).  Very hard to imagine it can but if it does, money well spent and is an added incentive to listen to CD's instead of vinyl.

Abe

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #364 of 1,448
Quote:
Hello guys!

I would like to know how long did you guys waited from ordering the upgrade up to receiving it (no installation)?  I am curious as I ordered mine:

Order Number: 8244
Date Ordered: Sunday 14 July, 2013
Detailed Invoice:

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x UBER ANALOG UPGRADE = $70.00
        Installation, Uber Analog No Installation

I still do not have it nor receive any notification.  I left a message on voicemail and sent an email 7/15 and got no reply.
Thanks!

Abe

I ordered mine on 5/1 it shipped 5/2 and I got it USPS priority on 5/6
Did you check the status on their website?

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #367 of 1,448
Quote:
Hi, thanks for the reply.  No, how do I do that?

Go to the Schiit site and log in (may need to register if you have not yet) and then go to your order history, should be in there.  If not try calling them and/or emailing them again.

Click on "Shopping cart" in the top right corner it will change to "Log in" click "log in" then heh, log in, (or register if needed)
When logged in their will be an option for "my Account"
Your orders should show up there with current status.

Whoops took me too long to reply...

Good to see you found it, not so good that it is backordered.

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #368 of 1,448
I'm still loving the uber 3 months in. I've routed my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra through it for when I'm using my DAW, electric guitar practicing has never been more fun and playing my MPC through it is ridiculously satisfying.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #369 of 1,448
yep. it just gets better and better. i've done a ton of windows tweaks lately and the uber bifrost is revealing of literally any change i make to it. i can change isolation feet, cables, audio settings, whatever, and bifrost (and uber bifrost) will give me results. h8rs gonna h8 but bifrost, especially uber bifrost, is one of the best hifi deals just for how transparent it is.  

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #370 of 1,448
Quote:
yep. it just gets better and better. i've done a ton of windows tweaks lately and the uber bifrost is revealing of literally any change i make to it. i can change isolation feet, cables, audio settings, whatever, and bifrost (and uber bifrost) will give me results. h8rs gonna h8 but bifrost, especially uber bifrost, is one of the best hifi deals just for how transparent it is.  

That's good to know! It's next on my list!

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #373 of 1,448
Uber Bifrost arrived earlier this evening.. I like the weight this guy has.. it feels substantial.  Listened to it very briefly ootb.. then left it on for about seven hours while I ran errands and went to the gym (no music playing though it at this time).. then listened to it again tonight.  Downstream the UB is the BH Crack (speedballed), HD800, FA-002w HE, and the Beyer DT880/600.  Music choice is streaming albums and tracks via my MOG subscription (well recorded/mastered albums, streaming at 320 Kbps) & some albums in hi-res FLAC on my local HD.

Initial thoughts?  The UB is very clean, transparent, and detailed.  Excellent imaging, instrument separation & articulation, accurate tonal reproduction, a very very very black background.  In the brief time Iv'e used it, I don't sense any glaring issues or weaknesses.  The "sound" (or lack thereof, I guess) is very reminiscent of the ODAC:  utterly transparent  The UB boasts, perhaps, a little cleaner instruments separation & a larger stage than the ODAC... but overall, the performance between these two DACs seems extremely similar.  I haven't A/B'ed the ODAC & UB directly yet.. so take all that with a mammoth grain of salt.. but I also use the ODAC on a daily basis.  Aside from the V800 that arrived five months ago, I've used the ODAC exclusively for the past year plus.. this is all to say I'm quite attuned to its nuances.

At this point: the UB does sound a smidge better than the ODAC.. but $400 better?  I don't sense that, at the moment.  Many have said the UB sounds better after it "breaks in".. I don't think it sounds bad now.. but we'll see if it does improve with time.  I'll compare it with the ODAC.. as well as the V800 this weekend.

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #374 of 1,448
Burn in on a DAC? Nah its just the placebo affect IMO.

Any way you cas do a serious A/B comparison of the two dacs? I have been considering another Bifrost for my office but if I can save $400...

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #375 of 1,448
Quote:
Burn in on a DAC? Nah its just the placebo affect IMO.

Any way you cas do a serious A/B comparison of the two dacs? I have been considering another Bifrost for my office but if I can save $400...

A man's perception is his reality. And since this whole hobby is based on our perceptions of sound, whatever helps you perceive better sound by all means indulge yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back