Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Jul 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #316 of 1,448
The idea of keeping it on is to encourage "burn-in" - which is controversial around these parts, but I heard in my own Bifrost.

In any event, it's safe to keep the unit on - yes, it gets hot, but it gets hot because the chassis itself acts as the unit's heatsink, so it just means the chassis is doing its job.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #317 of 1,448
http://www.head-fi.org/t/603219/schiit-gungnir-dac/1090_10#post_9533669

So is it then acceptable to say the Uber-Bifrost is (from a single-ended standpoint) closer to a Gungnir in terms of SQ, and not necessary to go the Gungnir purchase route?

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #318 of 1,448
Warmed up solid state electronics sound better.  This .org kills me!  I've never seen a bigger bunch of "audiophiles" who EQ everything, don't "believe" in burn in, don't "believe " in high end cables and whine about equipment "getting hot".  It's actually pretty funny sometimes...

I can't tell if it's just a bunch of dopey kids on this board or what?

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #319 of 1,448
Warmed up solid state electronics sound better.  This .org kills me!  I've never seen a bigger bunch of "audiophiles" who EQ everything, don't "believe" in burn in, don't "believe " in high end cables and whine about equipment "getting hot".  It's actually pretty funny sometimes...

Yes, their newbs for the most part or they would already know.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #320 of 1,448
http://www.head-fi.org/t/603219/schiit-gungnir-dac/1090_10#post_9533669

AiDee...thank you!!! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I don't foresee the need for balanced outputs in the future, so Übering my Bifrost will be perfect then. Maybe now I can finally see the light at the end of this hobby's tunnel (at least in the headphone side of things) :)

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #321 of 1,448

So do tube electronics, but I'm not going to burn through tubes just to get optimal sound from the first second of listening.

That and the 5 systems I have throughout the house make never turning off these systems seem silly. I can live with the warm up time to avoid wasting electricitty and heating up the room.

But I guess I'm more tolerant of things in general, including newbies. :rolleyes:

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #322 of 1,448
So i've had the Uber upgrade for nearly 2 months now, very happy with it.  What made it sound its best was getting a good spdif cable.  I was using a chincy radioshack digital coax for years, always under the impression that bits are bits.  I decided to give the BJC digital coax a try after being really happy with their LC1 interconnects. and BOY did it make a big difference.  My old cable must have had lots of interference or data smearing because my setup REALLY sounds amazing.  There are no weird highs anymore (hard to describe.. they were super harsh coming out of my vintage RS1s) and the details increase 2 fold (maybe the lower noise floor is causing this?) and the separation, clarity, bass EVERYTHING just sounds incredibly better.  However I didn't really notice a difference on some of my mid-fi headphones, only with the RS1 (my only real nice set of cans) and i couldn't ever go back to the rat-shack cable.  

Just so you guys know what im listening to: x-fi xtreme music digital coax -> uber schiit bifost -> Mapletree Ear purist HD+ -> Vintage B Grado RS1

TL;DR if you are going the digital coax route, get a nice spdif cable (i recommend BJC) and it will really improve the sound. It did for me.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #323 of 1,448
Quote:
So do tube electronics, but I'm not going to burn through tubes just to get optimal sound from the first second of listening.

That and the 5 systems I have throughout the house make never turning off these systems seem silly. I can live with the warm up time to avoid wasting electricitty and heating up the room.

But I guess I'm more tolerant of things in general, including newbies.
rolleyes.gif

I hear you, I turn my tube stuff off at night and only power it up for about 20 minutes or so before listening.  Most other digital or solid state amps i leave on all the time.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #325 of 1,448
Jul 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #326 of 1,448
Quote:
I hear you, I turn my tube stuff off at night and only power it up for about 20 minutes or so before listening.  Most other digital or solid state amps i leave on all the time.

Me too.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #327 of 1,448
I have a hard time believing that a DAC is going to have a significant change with "burn in". I can see it happen with amps but digital sources....

edit....  and no, I am no "noob" or "kid". Sheesh.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #329 of 1,448
One thing I do not like about the Bifrost is the damn LED, it's very bright. LOL!

I am able to switch between the DAC in the Ipure by using the analog outs to the second input of my amp and running the outs from the Bifrost to the first input. I will say that the Bifrost is quite a bit better with detail, bass and again, for me, worth the price of admission.
Of course the difference may not be enough for some to rationalize the cost of the unit so YMMV.:)

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #330 of 1,448
Original Bifrost with Concerto didn't work with my RE-272's.  The high were a bit sharp, a bit too clinical.  Uber rounded the highs, gave the iem clearer space and imaging.  I am loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back