Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Jun 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #258 of 1,448
Did Jason give a recommendation how long? TIA

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #259 of 1,448
So Jason believes in burn in for DACs? 

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #262 of 1,448
^ I think it was something like 100 hours recommended, and 50 hours at the factory. I referred to it in my review, but too lazy to look it up as well.

IDK that this means he necessarily 'believes' in it though.

Maybe his view is like (the quantum physicist) Schrödinger's. On being challenged about the 'lucky' horse-shoe nailed to his office door: "Surely you don't believe in this superstition?" he replied:

"Of course not! But I heard it works anyway, whether you believe in it or not..."

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #265 of 1,448
Quote:
Solid state electronics mind burn-in?  I rub my lucky rabbits foot.

That's exactly what I thought.  I can't say I noticed a difference with the uber upgrade.  But I was going to return my Burson Conductor after I plugged it in.   After ~24 hours, then again ~100 hours it sounds like an altogether different amp.  I didn't give much credence to solid-state burn-in before that experience but I do now.

Unless it's not actually the solid state components, but rather the capacitors.  I'd like to find the scientific explanation for the phenomenon.

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #266 of 1,448
Quote:

That's exactly what I thought.  I can't say I noticed a difference with the uber upgrade.  But I was going to return my Burson Conductor after I plugged it in.   After ~24 hours, then again ~100 hours it sounds like an altogether different amp.  I didn't give much credence to solid-state burn-in before that experience but I do now.

Unless it's not actually the solid state components, but rather the capacitors.  I'd like to find the scientific explanation for the phenomenon.

The best theory I've heard so far is Electron Migration.

I know that burn in is real with solid state devices, I found out when I was into overclocking gaming computer rigs.

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #268 of 1,448
I definitely also experienced burn in with the original board on the Bifrost. I remember being underwhelmed initially.
@AiDee, Jason didn't give an exact time, he just said it can take a while.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #269 of 1,448
Thanks boulous.

Just checked the draft of my review from 2011. The account of my first impressions was: "I had just listened to five tracks earlier that morning [with the Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC IIRC]. With the Bifrost barely warmed up, I listened again. I had not equalized levels at this stage; this was not an A/B. Based purely on audio memory, my impressions were the Bifrost was exceptionally clear, had excellent attack, seemed over-bright and a touch thin, and - straight out of the box - just might be a little wearing with extended listening.". It sounded different later, of course.

A regret is that I didn't A/B with my other two dacs during burn-in. Could've been instructive. OTOH, I didn't think I'd hear differences between the dacs anyway, let alone burn-in changes!

Also recorded, concerning Bifrost burn-in, was this: "Although it struck me as a fairly casual issue to Jason - he had to be asked after all - his answer on this point was that all units are burned in for 24 hours at the factory, and their amplifiers benefit from 50-100 hours after that. He suggested a similar period would apply to the Bifrost."

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #270 of 1,448
 A perverse question: is there anyone who prefers original Bifrost to Uber-upgrade Bifrost? Is there anything in the original that sounds better than in Uber-?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back