Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
May 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #241 of 1,448
Listened to my son's LCD2rev2's on my Lyr/Bifrost after I got the Uber upgrade.  The most noticeable difference to me from what I remember from the LCD's before the upgrade was the increase in detail across the board...and as people have mentioned in this thread in other places, especially toward the higher end.  This may or may not be a welcomed addition for you on the treble side because it can seem a hair brighter....but many who have LCD2's are looking for a bit more in that rolled-off treble region.  Soundstage to me is a bit more 3 dimensional to my ears...bit more space between instruments.  I would be very surprised if you weren't happy with the Uber unless there is an overconcern with not wanting your high end signature sound affected.  Good luck.

May 28, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #242 of 1,448
Anyone have any experience listening to the Uber with a pair of HD 650's? I imagine it is a similar experience to that of the LCD 2? 

May 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #243 of 1,448
All going well, I'm about a week away from finishing a review using two other dacs for triangulation.

Using LCD 2 mostly (some T1) and an ss and tube amp, but no plans to include the lyr unfortunately.

Anybody else, with Bifrost Uber-upgrade, (Lyr) & LCD-2 headphones?
I would love to get more first-hand impressions.
What are the most distinct improvements in the sound of LCD-2 thanks to Bifrost Uber-upgrade? Is there a big difference in highs, in soundstage, spaciousness/airness?

May 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #244 of 1,448
Quote:
Listened to my son's LCD2rev2's on my Lyr/Bifrost after I got the Uber upgrade.  The most noticeable difference to me from what I remember from the LCD's before the upgrade was the increase in detail across the board...and as people have mentioned in this thread in other places, especially toward the higher end.  This may or may not be a welcomed addition for you on the treble side because it can seem a hair brighter....but many who have LCD2's are looking for a bit more in that rolled-off treble region.  Soundstage to me is a bit more 3 dimensional to my ears...bit more space between instruments.  I would be very surprised if you weren't happy with the Uber unless there is an overconcern with not wanting your high end signature sound affected.  Good luck.

Thanks!
If the upgrade makes LCD-2s a bit brighter, it would be a desirable change for me as well as more 3 dimensional soundstage:)

May 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #245 of 1,448
Quote:
All going well, I'm about a week away from finishing a review using two other dacs for triangulation.

Using LCD 2 mostly (some T1) and an ss and tube amp, but no plans to include the lyr unfortunately.

It will still be very valuable information. Looking forward to it!

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #246 of 1,448
Woohoo Schiit is ready for my Bifrost! Is there any reason to drop my Bifrost off at USPS for delivery today (Saturday) or tomorrow? Not sure if they ship on weekends. Would like to get some good listening before I ship out, but don't want to hold anyone else up.

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #247 of 1,448
Quote:
Thanks!
If the upgrade makes LCD-2s a bit brighter, it would be a desirable change for me as well as more 3 dimensional soundstage:)

With additional listening sessions under my belt, I now feel like the uber has brightened the LCD2s. I also spent some time with my Ella & Louis sacd, which I use to test for sibilance because Louis' voice is nearly unbearable issue. I definitely noticed more sibilance than I recall hearing previously. However, this is one of the only albums that can actually make me uncomfortable with the LCD2s, so I would in no way interpret this as a universal effect of the uber. That being said, I have notice a brighter sound.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #248 of 1,448
Hello, this is my first post to head-fi.  I just installed the Uber and Gen2 boards today.  Thanks to the contributors here who shared pictures and instructions, the upgrade was very smooth. (One screw holding the power inlet was loose to begin with -- someone tightened too much at production). My original board was a v2.10 (with two blue wires going up the board).  I haven't seen any image posted with that board.  My first impressions of the Uber.  I hated it. Flat, and lacking as if someone took my music and trapped it somewhere behind a thick wall.  The flatness was very similar to the original Bifrost when I received it. That opened up slowly over time until it sounded sublime.  The Uber is not there yet, but after a few hours of listening, detail is coming out and it is starting to sing (but not there yet). Did anyone experience similar issues?  It seemed to me that everyone loved it from minute 1, and so perhaps my expectations were just high.

The Gen2 board is as advertised. I'm using it with Linux (atom based server I built). Linux has no trouble identifying the device and playing bot perfect sound to it through the "direct hardware device". For those interested:

$ lspci: ... 02:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04) ... [My USB PCIe card]
$ lsusb: ... Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0d8c:0319 C-Media Electronics, Inc. ...
$ cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0
  Schiit Schiit USB Audio Device at usb-0000:02:00.0-1, high speed : USB Audio
  Shows three interfaces, S16_LE, S24_3LE, and S32_LE all with rates:  44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000 and data packet interval 125us.
$ aplay -L: Shows that hw1,0 is:
  Schiit USB Audio Device, USB Audio
  Direct hardware device without any conversions

Boulos

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #249 of 1,448
Never had any flatness in mine. What is in the rest of your system? Did you do a listening session prior to the upgrade? I haven't heard anyone else really say that the upgrade flattened out their SQ. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #250 of 1,448
Hi Byronb. Yes, I did a listening session before and everything sounded as good as usual.  The bifrost is feeding into a custom 211 Tango-based amp, Zu Union speakers, and REL B3 sub. The sound is definitely opening up but since it's night I can only listen at very low volumes now :)

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #251 of 1,448
Well I hope that it gets to the point that you are looking for. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #253 of 1,448
I would think if you had damaged something it would most likely not operate. Perhaps drop Jason a line. He is awesome about answering questions.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #254 of 1,448
I think it would be hard to mung up unless you used a magnet and were wearing a fuzzy sweater and slippers.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #255 of 1,448
Quote:
I think it would be hard to mung up unless you used a magnet and were wearing a fuzzy sweater and slippers.

Or rubbed your cat on it.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back