Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
May 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #226 of 1,448
Quote:
Anyone order a new Bifrost with the Uber upgrade? How long did it take to arrive? I put in a order for one (first time buying from Schiit), and its been about 3 days and it says its still processing, and it still says it is in stock. Then again I'm in Canada so I guess it will take a while.
Regardless, based on what I'm reading here, I'm pretty excited to get it. It's gonna be a nice step up from my FiiO E7.

I ordered one Wednesday.

I just received an email saying it was shipped (I am in the US).

May 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #227 of 1,448
Quote:
Can anybody please share their impressions of Bifrost Uber-upgrade (+Lyr) with LCD-2s?
How does the upgrade change the sound of the LCD headphones?

For me it was pretty much the same story as with my HD800s: more weight and a better low end. I think I appreciated the change more with the HD800, because I felt that they needed more bass. However, just because the LCD2 already has great bass doesn't mean that it couldn't be improved upon. The uber upgrade provides even better realism for string instruments like cello and bass and electronic music hits harder and is better extended. I should mention that this is not with a Lyr, but I would doubt that would change anything.

May 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #231 of 1,448
Quote:
Nice, same here! Just came home from work and I got the same email saying it was shipped. Well, can't wait. E7 has done me some justice for the last few months, but now its time for an upgrade.

I ordered mine yesterday afternoon and received an update that it had shipped a few hours later - love the quick work! I've been using the Audioengine D1, so I'm really excited to hear the improvement. 

May 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #232 of 1,448
Got my Uber upgraded Bifrost back yesterday. Immediately notice the more forward bass that has been mentioned here. Now I just have to spend some time with the overall sound. Frequently with "more" bass there is an "apparent" (if not actual) loss of transparency through the upper mids. I'll just take some time to see how I like it. Since I sent the Bifrost off while I was out of town for 2 weeks, my only recent reference is my traveling dac (dragonfly).

On another note, while I enjoy reading this thread, it is sometimes hard to tell which "product" is being talked about. The actual upgrades are:
Uber Analog (the title of this thread)
USB Gen 2 (I don't see a thread for this)
So it looks like we are getting a mixture of listening impressions for Uber, USB Gen 2, or both. It would be great if we could state which upgrade (or combination) is being discussed.

May 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #233 of 1,448
+1 on the confusion around the thread title. Good idea to state what we're talking about. The usual resolution - to start separate threads for USB Gen 2 and both would just lead to three threads worth of confusion.

Agreed about the more bass, less apparent transparency interaction. I found my early model (October 2011) bifrost had striking clarity at the cost of less bass than two other dacs I had (and still have) at the time. Am interested to compare the changes once I install my uber.

May 25, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #234 of 1,448
Yes, three threads would have us jumping all over the place. We just need to state what variation we have when we talk about how it sounds. Some of us (like me) only want to change one thing at a time, then describe that change.

May 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #235 of 1,448
Not sure if it's placebo or not, but the uber upgrade seems to have better resolution than the old board., Vocals improved across the spectrum. The difference might not be as drastic as I would like to think it is, but for $70 I'm content with this.

May 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #236 of 1,448
Delete!!!

May 27, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #237 of 1,448
Quote:

For me it was pretty much the same story as with my HD800s: more weight and a better low end. I think I appreciated the change more with the HD800, because I felt that they needed more bass. However, just because the LCD2 already has great bass doesn't mean that it couldn't be improved upon. The uber upgrade provides even better realism for string instruments like cello and bass and electronic music hits harder and is better extended. I should mention that this is not with a Lyr, but I would doubt that would change anything.

Thanks for your opinion!
That's also what I was thinking about - that for LCD-2 which already has great bass and good weight of sound the upgrade won't improve that much.

May 27, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #238 of 1,448
I am definitely looking for better bass from bifrost-uber with my LCD2!

May 28, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #240 of 1,448
Quote:
You will get it.

Anybody else, with Bifrost Uber-upgrade, (Lyr) & LCD-2 headphones?
I would love to get more first-hand impressions.
What are the most distinct improvements in the sound of LCD-2 thanks to Bifrost Uber-upgrade? Is there a big difference in highs, in soundstage, spaciousness/airness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back