Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
May 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #211 of 1,448
Quote:

Thanks for the impressions.. would definitely appreciate more thoughts on how it sounds with the HD800.

I too was very pleased with the upgrade. I think the greatest benefit for me was the increased bass response in the HD800. That was the most noticeable difference, and it was exactly what I was hoping for with my 800s. I can't say that I noticed too many other differences.

May 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #213 of 1,448
Quote:
Did it increase the treble as well

The only thing I noticed being significantly different was the bass. Everything just seemed to have more weight to it. In a good way. It's possible that the treble was improved as well, because the sound is still well balanced. I find it very difficult to distinguish small differences in equipment without listening to them back to back. In this case it took me about half an hour to do the swap, so it was hard for me to critically evaluate the all of the differences. The added low end was blatantly obvious.

May 21, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #214 of 1,448
I must say after two weeks with the upgrade, the Telsefunken 6922s have really shone over every other tube in my arsenal. Good glass really brings out the best with Schiit's latest I guess. I can't imagine that anyone with EH 6922 or Russian 6N1P tubes is going to notice much of a difference, more power to you if you can though.

May 21, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #215 of 1,448
I had the Telefunken 6922s. They're very nice. I miss them.
redface.gif

May 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #216 of 1,448
Quote:
I had the Telefunken 6922s. They're very nice. I miss them.
redface.gif

I have returned to the Telefunken CCas since I got the Uber upgrade. They seem more alive and dynamic than my beloved Amperex PQ halo getters. way better for rock than before.

May 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #217 of 1,448
As someone who believes even less that comes out of the mouths of the audiophile-retail industry with regard to upgrades and improvements than what I read on the Internet, I will say this -

I sent my Bifrost off for both upgrades as soon as they were announced. The combination of the Bifrost, Lyr and HE-500's is absolutely superior to what I was listening to before, which was pretty damned good. I use this combination to play anything 96kHz/24 bit and higher and a HeadRoom Micro Amp/DAC with HE-400's for anything lower.

Now, if Michael Goodman will send out the Hifi-M8, I can find a pair of balanced headphones...then I can figure out what to start selling off
dt880smile.png

May 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #218 of 1,448
Can anybody please share their impressions of Bifrost Uber-upgrade (+Lyr) with LCD-2s?
How does the upgrade change the sound of the LCD headphones?

May 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #221 of 1,448
Quote:
what actual exact changes in sound do you call 'amazing'?

I am not good at this.
I've written in other posts that any change / upgrade, one makes to their kit, valve, cable, headphone, etc., needs to "slap you in the face" to be worthy.  Not "I think I hear a difference in the Mids".

The uber upgrade smacked me in the face.  I was amazed at the difference for a mere $70.  To your question, bigger and more detailed.  I'm not good at differentiating where Highs and Lows end and Mids begin.

I have the same kit as you and I didn't think I could get much better.  I't got a lot better.

May 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #222 of 1,448
Quote:
I am not good at this.
I've written in other posts that any change / upgrade, one makes to their kit, valve, cable, headphone, etc., needs to "slap you in the face" to be worthy.  Not "I think I hear a difference in the Mids".

The uber upgrade smacked me in the face.  I was amazed at the difference for a mere $70.  To your question, bigger and more detailed.  I'm not good at differentiating where Highs and Lows end and Mids begin.

I have the same kit as you and I didn't think I could get much better.  I't got a lot better.

that's cool news! 
thanks for your answer.

May 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #225 of 1,448
Anyone order a new Bifrost with the Uber upgrade? How long did it take to arrive? I put in a order for one (first time buying from Schiit), and its been about 3 days and it says its still processing, and it still says it is in stock. Then again I'm in Canada so I guess it will take a while.
Regardless, based on what I'm reading here, I'm pretty excited to get it. It's gonna be a nice step up from my FiiO E7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back