Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC w/USB GEN5 Upgrade
Jun 28, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #47 of 67
Great. The Gumby is stated to ship today so I changed my mind, ordered it, and paid $100 in shipping to get it tomorrow. No email that it has been shipped yet. By the way, I think maybe even yesterday someone was selling a gen 5 USB Bimby for $475 shipping included.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #48 of 67
Got notice that my self-install Gen 5 board is shipping; to arrive tomorrow. That will be exactly 5 months from my January 29 order. Jiminy.

Edit: arrived today, installed it, sounds good.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #49 of 67
I'm told that the Bifrost are estimated to resume shipping the week of 7/4 like it states on the website. Problem of course being that's two weeks from now, but as far as I'm aware Schiit might be ahead on the sound they deliver. I'm disappointed by the CMA400i. Unfortunately the Bimby might not be much better than the Mimby and there might even be a product under development to be released this year. The gen5 upgrade is what makes more sense of it as I've run into background noise, and it perhaps enhances the sound.
So I'm finally back after breaking and burning in some time with the new Bimby i can finally tell you my impression of it.
Like i said before, i've upgraded from a basic modi dac to the bifrost multibit with gen 5 usb.
At the first listens, i was a disapointted i gotta admit. From what i heard the multibit dac is suppose to give a warmer sound than normal chip. I even heard a hum when i turned it on, it stopped after thought so i guess it was just adapting to the electricity in the room). The only difference i noticed was that the vocals were really better and the highs too. But that was it, the mid were average and the lows almost not there compared to the modi. Even more, the highs were iritating i couldnt stand too many listenning the first 2 days i got fatigued. The original modi was balanced to my ear.
I had to go on a long weekend for a festival so i was kinda eager to come back and do more testing and see if i was still thinking the same... Well, i was wrong! I left it on and i think made it good (i'm in no way an expert audiophile i'm only stating my impressions). It sounded really different from the first time! More balanced just like i liked it from the modi. The vocals are still as awesome, every little details pop even more. The lows are really good now, it's there but not too much, just like i liked it from the modi, it goes really deep without messing around with the mids, it's sooooo good! What i see more now other than more detailed sound is how you really get more of that 3d sound! Finally, every elements in a song is richer and more complex. You may think 600$ more for this one is a lot, but it's like anything else after a price range you gotta pump those rookie number :wink:
In the end, i think that this will be my last dac, i wouldn't recommend buying something higher as you would expect a lot more for the price you pay and you will not hear that much of a difference and be disappointed. If you have any question just ask!

(Audiio files -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Schiit Bifrost Multibit -> Schiit Asgard 2 -> Sennheiser HD650)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #50 of 67
I'm still in the disappointment period with a Gungnir Multibit (around 36 hours since I turned it on). I'm stuck with it for good and am also aware of the recommendation to leave these DACs on for some time so the jury is still out. It bothers me that a couple of people in the Gumby thread claimed that 36 hours should be around when you'd see most of the improvement.

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #51 of 67
I'm still in the disappointment period with a Gungnir Multibit (around 36 hours since I turned it on). I'm stuck with it for good and am also aware of the recommendation to leave these DACs on for some time so the jury is still out. It bothers me that a couple of people in the Gumby thread claimed that 36 hours should be around when you'd see most of the improvement.
Yeah like i said, i think after a certain price i dont think you can hear a difference in better dacs. Dont forget it was a big upgrade for me coming from a vanilla modi. I'm pretty sure on sheets/graphics they are better but can the humain ear hear the improvments?

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #54 of 67
(Audiio files -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Schiit Bifrost Multibit -> Schiit Asgard 2 -> Sennheiser HD650)

Bifrost Asgard 650 is a great setup. I think you will like it.[/QUOTE]

I already have modi, asgard and the 650 for 5 years so i know :p my next stop will be hd800s, but im pretty sure il keep my 650 as i heard they have another sound signature. I'm undecided with tube amp as i know it goes an expensive route with tube rollIng and they dont last as long as solid stage...

I'm pretty sure there are supposed to be audible improvements.

I gotta admit im scepticle with balanced gears as they are made to benefit on long range setup compared to unbalanced. Maybe i would change my opinion if i can try one.

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #55 of 67
When I connect my Bifrost directly to my active monitors (pc--dac--speakers) the only sound that comes through is a terrible whine/digital noise. If I connect my Bifrost to a preamp and then to the monitors (pc--dac--preamp--monitors) everything works fine. Should I be able to connect the dac directly to monitors (controlling volume from pc)?

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #56 of 67
When I connect my Bifrost directly to my active monitors (pc--dac--speakers) the only sound that comes through is a terrible whine/digital noise. If I connect my Bifrost to a preamp and then to the monitors (pc--dac--preamp--monitors) everything works fine. Should I be able to connect the dac directly to monitors (controlling volume from pc)?

It's most certainly a driver problem, have you installed them from their site?

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #58 of 67

Check for ground loops

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #60 of 67
FYI all, bifrosts are backordered.

Ordered a bifrost multibit yesterday afternoon. It was shown on schiit.com as:
IN PRODUCTION, SHIPS 1-3 DAYS

Got an email this morning:
'Due to a parts delay the Bifrost Multibit is back ordered and estimated to ship August 15th.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back