Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Sep 6, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #451 of 467
Got a Bifrost Uber recently. Wanna upgrade with 4490, but shipping it (Canada) to Schiit won't be ideal due to shipping charge both way. Even though 2 years warranty on full product sounds great, wanna see if the board upgrade is easy. Tried to find youtube video on this but no luck. Is it just like installing a card on a motherboard? Soldering? TIA.

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #452 of 467
Its very easy to install however I heavily recommend saving and going Multibit. My 4490 was bad for HTPC use, shows etc were awful sounding. Multibit has been flawless under all uses.

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #453 of 467
Its very easy to install however I heavily recommend saving and going Multibit. My 4490 was bad for HTPC use, shows etc were awful sounding. Multibit has been flawless under all uses.

Any chance you could elaborate how easy with pics or steps?

Multibit upgrade involves additional cost on boards, comparing with 4490, plus you can't do self install, which mean additional cost for shipment charge. Too much to do multibit.

4490 would be ideal on cost wise. Have you try your 4490 on different system and see if you got the same issue?

Sep 7, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #454 of 467
Got a Bifrost Uber recently. Wanna upgrade with 4490, but shipping it (Canada) to Schiit won't be ideal due to shipping charge both way. Even though 2 years warranty on full product sounds great, wanna see if the board upgrade is easy. Tried to find youtube video on this but no luck. Is it just like installing a card on a motherboard? Soldering? TIA.

I'm certainly no techie and I installed it myself.

May 3, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #458 of 467
I recently purchased the bifrost 4490 and have it connected via usb into my MacBook Pro
I also have the audio quest jitterbug which I used with my previous dac the arcam irdac.
When using the jitterbug with the bifrost the MacBook does not recognise the dac
There is nothing showing , would anyone know why ?

Cheers

May 3, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #459 of 467
I'm a Bifrost Uber user and I would say I would if I want a upgrade go for direct to Multibit instead of such a incremental upgrade to 4490, just imho. I have the iFi micro iDSD which acts on "Bit-perfect" setting for the last 6bits like a Mulibit DAC and the sonic difference is small but you can hear it quite easy compared to the DAC from Bifrost Uber. So my guess go for Bifrost Multibot or keep your Uber, instead to go for the 4490 upgrade.
Don’t go MultiBit! I had the Schiit MultiBit, and it’s a waste of money...why?!?? It doesn’t support DSD format...only Red Book Audio...I have the OPPO UDP-203, and I play my UHD 4K Blu Rays, as well as my SACD albums! And the movies are breath taking, and my SACD’s are superb sounding! And the 203 only cost me $550 and it’s a Universal Disk player

May 3, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #460 of 467
Uhm.. the MB floored the 4490 in my testings with all my high and standard res audio. Well worth the upgrade. I mean honestly, how much true DSD have ya got? Also, my differences using Jotunheim Bimby VS iFi iDSD BL was considerable using Gen 5 USB.

May 3, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #461 of 467
Don’t go MultiBit! I had the Schiit MultiBit, and it’s a waste of money...why?!?? It doesn’t support DSD format...only Red Book Audio...I have the OPPO UDP-203, and I play my UHD 4K Blu Rays, as well as my SACD albums! And the movies are breath taking, and my SACD’s are superb sounding! And the 203 only cost me $550 and it’s a Universal Disk player
Don’t go OPPO UDP-203! I never heard one but it’s still a waste of money...why?!?. Because it supports DSD format and I don’t give a (ping) about that...only Red Book Audio because that’s where 99% of the music is. And movies with zombies are breath taking because I’m scared of dead people, and all my flac files are superb sounding and I never have to change discs!!!

May 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #462 of 467
I have an older Oppo Blu Ray player (BDP-95) and it, and ALL of Oppo products, are FANTASTIC. Unfortunately Oppo appears to be "closing shop" as they will no longer be launching new products but will continue to support their existing products. That's too bad and I am seriously considering grabbing the UDP-203 for 4K reasoning. My new LG OLED 4K TV looks amazing when watching plain old 1080p blu ray movies or concerts so I'm curious to know how great it would look with their 4K player.

I also have several Schiit DACs (Bifrost 4490, Bifrost MB and 2 Modi MB) and they too are great products however I use them exclusively on my headphone setups, with one of them also feeding one of my 2 channel audio systems. I haven't tried connecting any of my DACs to my Home Theatre system, which is where my Oppo Blu Ray player is located because all of my digital music is 44.1/16 CD quality. Might be fun however to experiment by introducing one of the MB DACs when playing CD's from my Oppo player.

May 4, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #463 of 467
I haven't tried connecting any of my DACs to my Home Theatre system, which is where my Oppo Blu Ray player is located because all of my digital music is 44.1/16 CD quality. Might be fun however to experiment by introducing one of the MB DACs when playing CD's from my Oppo player.
Ah! There’s were I went off track:confounded:.
I thought it was a Personal Opinion which was brought as an absolute fact, in which case I wasted my money bcoz I bought a MB. Needless to say I don’t agree with that :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back