Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Jun 26, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #376 of 467

That's why I use the Spdif coax and avoided USB due to static noises that only uber expensive decrapifier such as Berkeley alpha USB can remove

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #377 of 467
  I had the exact same issue with M2U4490.  Found that two usb ports had this electrical noise (staticy ticks) as the new track loaded even though the data was coming of an SD card not spinning drive.  I tried two other USB ports on the computer and the background was silent.  So give it a try.

The odd thing is no other dac ever had this issue on the suspect port, none.  Seems the Schiit dac is really sensitive to USB noise and even an ipurifier 2 I had to test could not remove it.

Yeah, I didn't have any issues with the usb port with 3 other dacs - tried it with another port and it still has the issue. It also does it very loudly when starting the computer, and also if you click the input switch button. It's interesting that the issue is almost entirely gone using direct sound, which I'm not going to use obviously. With ASIO it's manageable, and wasapi has crackling for a couple seconds which is unfortunate because I like it best. I'm going to try investing in a Wyrd to see if it improves it, and no big deal if it doesn't. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #379 of 467
  @maul
I would try another computer if you can. 

I tried a very good powered usb hub and that did nothing to the noise.  I would not expect the Wyrd to eliminate it either, but not certain.

Should be getting a new one in a couple months, going to try for one of the Gigabyte boards with a dedicated dac port - if that doesn't work nothing will, heh.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #380 of 467
That dedicated DAC port is probably optical rather than USB. Many new boards today have optical out which eliminates computer noise, but not jitter.

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #381 of 467
  That dedicated DAC port is probably optical rather than USB. Many new boards today have optical out which eliminates computer noise, but not jitter.

Nah, it's a dedicated usb port for dacs, it's called "DAC-UP". It's more for if you have it being powered by usb, but regardless. You can see it on the page here: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4485#ov

I mean I could just use optical, just haven't thought about it yet as I'm on a laptop currently.

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #382 of 467
Interesting, I had a first click (sound loss, for a second) while watching a TV-serie. First time that it happened. Maybe it is the audio-source changing sample rate? Although I closed the playback, opened it again and did forwards to the time of the playback it happened. And now no click. Might be just a very small hickup/glitch or so xD. Didn't happen once before in weeks of enjoyment. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #386 of 467
  why cant i get 24/176

Best to contact Schiit.

During day hours, they get back to you amazingly quickly. And there are other ways to identify the board inside, without needing to open. The board actually has a different identifier, and they'll be able to talk you through it. Best of luck!

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #388 of 467
Is there a way to tell which hardware you have inside by the labeling on the Bifrost?

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #390 of 467
I just received the Bimby and I didn't notice any particular marking on the case sticker other than the serial number. Perhaps I have to take another peek.

EDIT: Found it, it's a separate sticker from the serial number, it was hiding by the RCA output jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back