Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Jan 30, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #91 of 467
Did a quick Yggi and Bifrost 4490 comparison at a local meet. The 4490 held its own which even the owner of the Yggi admits. We both thought we could hear differences, but under the constraints of the room and the allotted time we both agreed more time needs to be spent comparing. It was fun and for those looking at either DAC the 4490 does very well.

Quick lesson: Windows drivers suck. If you are at a meet and can do both USB and optical bring both.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #92 of 467
Anyone else compare the 4490 to Multibit?

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #94 of 467
I have both and hope to do a comparison soon.

PLEASE asap, save me the trouble of buying a MultiBit.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #95 of 467
For reference, my setup consists of an iPhone 4 -> Pure i20 -> coax SPDIF -> Schiit DAC -> HK 3490 stereo receiver -> Dali Zensor 3 speakers.

As for the comparison, I'm the wrong person to ask as I'm very green to the whole DAC world. These are the first units I've ever used so I have little perspective comparing them to other DACs. I will say, however, that I do notice a difference between the 4490 and MB. I'll do my best to explain what I hear...

First, both units were run for about 12 hours each, so not a lot of time. Both sound fantastic and GREATLY improved SQ and presentation compared to the direct connection between the i20 and the HK. During "testing" I listened to some Jazz and Indie tracks from Pandora and ALAC files straight from the iPhone.

What I like more about the MB:
  1. Warmer sound, which to my ears, gave instruments more body/weight. They sounded more natural. Using the 4490, instruments sounded very natural, but I prefer the sound of the MB.
  2. Better instrument separation. I felt like I could hear each instrument distinctly. The 4490 still does a great job, but I felt the MB did it better.
  3. Sound is more focused. Whether others feel this is a good thing or not, I felt like what was meant to recorded in the "foreground" was presented as such compared to the rest of the instruments recorded more in the background. EDIT: I don't believe focused is the correct term to use here. A better term or phrase might be 3D. While I wasn't surrounded by the music, the MB seemed to give better spacial positioning than the 4490.

What I like more about the 4490:
  1. Sound is airy and more enveloping. I felt more surrounded by the music vs the more focused presentation of the MB. Presentation was wider in general.
  2. Being not as warm, I felt like I could hear more detail from the music. Whether it's actual detail or "digital" detail as some call it, I can't tell being so new to this subject.
  3. I didn't have as much time to listen to the 4490 otherwise I'd probably have more comments for it.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention...both versions GREATLY improved bass performance. I couldn't believe what I was missing before. Bass, while not monstrous, was so much more noticeable and accurate. Drums hit with authority instead of disappearing into the background. In jazz tracks, hearing guitars, bass and pianos really made me see what the Zensors were capable of, instead of assuming I needed larger speakers or a sub to bring out those lower frequencies. Again, I couldn't believe how much difference the DACs made.

For my listening tastes, the multibit version wins in the end. However, if I had purchased the 4490 first and never heard the MB, I can say I would have been extremely happy, especially for the price. Of course, I've never used an external DAC before so this is probably no surprise.

Overall, both units made music come ALIVE in my system and brought huge smiles to my face as I listened to them. I love the form factor of the Bifrost - it's on the smaller side, a super clean design, it's built very well, and most important of all, both versions sound fantastic. I'm sure many other DACs on the market fit this profile but for my money, the Bifrost checks all the boxes for a price that fits my budget.

Finally, if someone wants a DAC under $500, I feel the 4490 absolutely kills it in this price range. If you have a bit more in your budget, I'd say you can't go wrong with the MB version. To me, I prefer the sound of the MB and feel the cost difference is worth it, but the 4490 is the better value, especially if you can find one in the B-stock or used market.

** NOTE: I want to repeat that the Bifrost versions are the first external DACs I've ever tried so keep that in mind when reading my impressions.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #96 of 467
I've been a very contented Bifrost Uber owner but am hopefully going to demo a trio of Bifrost 4490, Bifrost MB, and Yggy sometime in the spring.  I really enjoy my Uber's crisp and enveloping presentation but am eager to squeeze out more spatial information from my music library.  [size=x-small]Without jumping the gun, based on what I've read on the forums, I predict I am going to end up upgrading my Uber to 4490 [/size]and[size=x-small] buy an Yggy, so that I get the best of both worlds.  Is this a [/size]crazy[size=x-small] prediction?[/size]

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #97 of 467
I've been a very contented Bifrost Uber owner but am hopefully going to demo a trio of Bifrost 4490, Bifrost MB, and Yggy sometime in the spring.  I really enjoy my Uber's crisp and enveloping presentation but am eager to squeeze out more spatial information from my music library.  [size=x-small]Without jumping the gun, based on what I've read on the forums, I predict I am going to end up upgrading my Uber to 4490 [/size]and[size=x-small] buy an Yggy, so that I get the best of both worlds.  Is this a [/size]crazy[size=x-small] prediction?[/size]

Why both?

Unless you're going to have a primary and secondary rig...

Otherwise, there's no need for anything beyond the Yggy.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #98 of 467

Why both?

Unless you're going to have a primary and secondary rig...

Otherwise, there's no need for anything beyond the Yggy.

yeah, agreed here.  To me the point of the Yggy is that you already get the best of both worlds (ie strong points of the 4490 and the BiMBy and then some).

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #100 of 467
I'm am seriously considering the Bifrost AK4490 over the MultiBit variant solely on the premise that it won't have issues sorting out music files played at different but rates. I have the $130.00 ALO Audio The Key dac feeding my Liquid Carbon playlists consisting of different but rate files seamlessly. I think that I am going to purchase the Bifrost 4490 until I can upgrade to the 2 gen Bifrost MuliBit when it is inevitably released. That is how I am feeling now but we'll see. It also seems that the AK4490 chip is being used a lot more in more expensive dac/daps. Gotta love the value that Schiit offers in all their products.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #101 of 467
I'm am seriously considering the Bifrost AK4490 over the MultiBit variant solely on the premise that it won't have issues sorting out music files played at different but rates. I have the $130.00 ALO Audio The Key dac feeding my Liquid Carbon playlists consisting of different but rate files seamlessly. I think that I am going to purchase the Bifrost 4490 until I can upgrade to the 2 gen Bifrost MuliBit when it is inevitably released. That is how I am feeling now but we'll see. It also seems that the AK4490 chip is being used a lot more in more expensive dac/daps. Gotta love the value that Schiit offers in all their products.

I haven't heard the Multibit but the Bifrost 4490 is a terrific DAC. I'm shocked at the difference between it and the Modi 2U.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #102 of 467

I haven't heard the Multibit but the Bifrost 4490 is a terrific DAC. I'm shocked at the difference between it and the Modi 2U.

yeah, though be careful because the "Modi2U is the perfect DAC and anybody who wants more is just buying snakeoil" crowd will jump you.  

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #103 of 467

That's good to hear. I have been listening to the Peach Tree Dac-iTx and find the The Key to be a better pairing for my Grados and AKG headphones. I am craving more detail but and a more articulated bass presentation. Do you find the Bifrost 4490 to have detailed bass without a artificially bright treble?

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #104 of 467
That's good to hear. I have been listening to the Peach Tree Dac-iTx and find the The Key to be a better pairing for my Grados and AKG headphones. I am craving more detail but and a more articulated bass presentation. Do you find the Bifrost 4490 to have detailed bass without a artificially bright treble?

The treble is smoother while at the same time more detailed than the Modi 2U. I already had good bass with the Modi 2U. It is stronger and clearer on the 4490.

This is audiophile foo foo, but the biggest difference I find is the Bifrost is able to convey the emotion in music a lot better than the Modi could. Some of what it's doing I can't put into words.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #105 of 467
The treble is smoother while at the same time more detailed than the Modi 2U. I already had good bass with the Modi 2U. It is stronger and clearer on the 4490.

This is audiophile foo foo, but the biggest difference I find is the Bifrost is able to convey the emotion in music a lot better than the Modi could. Some of what it's doing I can't put into words.

Hey RickB that "audiophile foo foo" you just described is the most plausible endorsement that you could have made IMHO. Much appreciated. It's all about your music rig relaying synergy in such way that it moves you in an indescribable way. Tell me is there an audible noise floor coming out of the Bifrost 4490 with iem's/low impedance HP's when using the Asgard 2 for amplification duties? I also own the Asgard 2 and I love it's super low noise floor that is inaudible unless the volume is maxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back