Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Jan 13, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #61 of 467
Received the Bifrost 4490 and am comparing it to the Grace Design m903. After just a few minutes there are audible differences with the Schiit Bifrost 4490 being more bassy and slightly less detailed when it comes to echos. Trying to decide if the bass is actually boosted or not for the Bifrost.

Looks like it was just an artifact of having more headroom with the Bifrost due to its higher output voltage.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #62 of 467
So far if there are audible differences between the m903 DAC and the Bifrost I cannot hear it. Both are very musical and I have nothing negative to say about the Bifrost 4490. Easy to setup, sturdy, 5-year guarantee, and it sounds wonderful.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #63 of 467
  So far if there are audible differences between the m903 DAC and the Bifrost I cannot hear it. Both are very musical and I have nothing negative to say about the Bifrost 4490. Easy to setup, sturdy, 5-year guarantee, and it sounds wonderful.

yep, great DAC.  I preferred it to the bifrost multibit.  I prefer the factor and features of the m9XX, but otherwise it's difficult to say which I'd prefer on pure sound quality alone.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #64 of 467
yep, great DAC.  I preferred it to the bifrost multibit.  I prefer the factor and features of the m9XX, but otherwise it's difficult to say which I'd prefer on pure sound quality alone.

Awesome! You've been able to compare the 4490 to the multibit? I've been following both intently :)

How would you characterize the difference?

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #65 of 467
Awesome! You've been able to compare the 4490 to the multibit? I've been following both intently :)

How would you characterize the difference?

yes, I was able to demo the multibit, and I owned the 4490 for a while.  The 4490 was a bit more generous with pop music, while still being very analytical.  The multibit somehow seemed dryer.  The multibit's soundstage also seemed to be more extreme, like it was large, but placement within it was a bit blurry, sometimes giving the "everything is hard left, right and center" feeling with less nuance in location than the 4490.  The 4490 everything seemed sharply placed within the sound field, I felt like I could tell exactly where everything was.  With the multibit things seemed less precise location wise.  

But on really well recorded binaural music, the multibit could *really* shine, with an expansive soundstage that bested the 4490.  Problem was I don't own that much binaural music.  The multibit may have also been a bit more accurate up and down.  The 4490 presented music a bit high in the soundstage, like you're seated really low looking up at a high stage.  The multibit seemed a bit more realistic in that regard.  

Now all of that sounds extreme, but it was very, very subtle as well.  They're both great DACs, but I definitely think the 4490 is not only a better value, but is a flat out better, more versatile DAC.  For whatever reason I don't think the multibit technology really clicks until you get to the GuMBy.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #66 of 467
yes, I was able to demo the multibit, and I owned the 4490 for a while.  The 4490 was a bit more generous with pop music, while still being very analytical.  The multibit somehow seemed dryer.  The multibit's soundstage also seemed to be more extreme, like it was large, but placement within it was a bit blurry, sometimes giving the "everything is hard left, right and center" feeling with less nuance in location than the 4490.  The 4490 everything seemed sharply placed within the sound field, I felt like I could tell exactly where everything was.  With the multibit things seemed less precise location wise.  

But on really well recorded binaural music, the multibit could *really* shine, with an expansive soundstage that bested the 4490.  Problem was I don't own that much binaural music.  The multibit may have also been a bit more accurate up and down.  The 4490 presented music a bit high in the soundstage, like you're seated really low looking up at a high stage.  The multibit seemed a bit more realistic in that regard.  

Now all of that sounds extreme, but it was very, very subtle as well.  They're both great DACs, but I definitely think the 4490 is not only a better value, but is a flat out better, more versatile DAC.  For whatever reason I don't think the multibit technology really clicks until you get to the GuMBy.

Great feedback! Thanks. Much of what you said resonates strongly with what I've read on the bimby thread as well as some comments here.

At this point I'm really leaning towards the 4490. I'm less concerned about huge sound stage, much more concerned about balancing precision and 'air' with musicality.

I've been using a Cal Audio Sigma II DAC and while it has great presence and reasonable detail, it lacks extension and some of that'air' around vocals and instruments. Like it's swung the pendulum too far away from precision forward musicality. (which isn't really surprising given it has a tube output stage)

Digesting feedback from various comments I get the sense that the 4490 leans more 'musical' on that spectrum, while bimby leans so hard on clarity that (depending on source, amp, HPs) can come across too biting.

I'm hoping the 4490 carries some of that same musically ("warmth") while giving more extension (especially bass slam and extension, where I miss it most).

* I have a hard time hearing sound stage on HPs, it was so much more evident on great speaker setups; though I really only listen to HPs anymore.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #67 of 467
The way @fjrabon describes the Multibit is how my Über sounded. I upgraded my Über to 4490 about 1 week ago and find that the sound is less digital sounding now. Instead, I find it is smoother, more analog sounding with better bass presence. Soundstage width is just as good as with the Über. Please be advised that the difference is not night and day, instead it sounds different, more towards a relaxed less digitally detailed sound.

I ordered a Birost Multibit and should have it late next week. After a 4-5 day burn-in I will be able to do a direct head to head comparison of both DACS.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #68 of 467
The way @fjrabon describes the Multibit is how my Über sounded. I upgraded my Über to 4490 about 1 week ago and find that the sound is less digital sounding now. Instead, I find it is smoother, more analog sounding with better bass presence. Soundstage width is just as good as with the Über. Please be advised that the difference is not night and day, instead it sounds different, more towards a relaxed less digitally detailed sound.

I ordered a Birost Multibit and should have it late next week. After a 4-5 day burn-in I will be able to do a direct head to head comparison of both DACS.

Looking forward to your experience. Was set on the MB but now thinking the 4490 will meet my needs. I've never used an external DAC before so I want to make sure I make the right decision on which to purchase.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #69 of 467

Looking forward to your experience. Was set on the MB but now thinking the 4490 will meet my needs. I've never used an external DAC before so I want to make sure I make the right decision on which to purchase.

I see no reason to go for the MB version as the 4490 competes very well against more expensive DACs. I am not saying the 4490 is better or worse, but it does save you money and remains a very competent DAC. I would not worry about acquiring a 4490.

How do you plan on using the 4490? Are you going USB or can you go optical?

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #70 of 467
Just sent in an order for the 4490. I've had the Bimby loaned out to me for a couple days back when it was first released and it was great to listen to. Great sense of space, timbre more natural, sublime imaging and layering. However, instead of spending the $250 (+shipping), I'd rather save for the Gumby and have an endgame DAC I can live with for a long time.

Anyway, thought I'd allocate my funds to an amp first, so my Gumby plans are now put on the backburner. And I figured that I'll just stick to the 4490 upgrade in the meantime. I'll write up my impressions when the board comes this week.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #71 of 467

I see no reason to go for the MB version as the 4490 competes very well against more expensive DACs. I am not saying the 4490 is better or worse, but it does save you money and remains a very competent DAC. I would not worry about acquiring a 4490.

A modest 2-channel system streaming hi-res files from a network resource or online service. I'm far from the level of most members, but I enjoy occasionally listening to jazz and indie music and can be picky about the sound quality when listening. However, having never used a quality DAC, I'm anxious to see if my "pickiness" is discerning enough to notice a difference. Being new to this stuff I'm sure the 4490 will be great, but I'm trying to find the most effective use of funds to improve the quality of sound (if this is even a good use). I don't ever see a need for balanced outputs so saving for a Gumby doesn't seem realistic. I'm the type to buy for the long-term, hence the decision for the 4490 or MB.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #72 of 467

A modest 2-channel system streaming hi-res files from a network resource or online service. I'm far from the level of most members, but I enjoy occasionally listening to jazz and indie music and can be picky about the sound quality when listening. However, having never used a quality DAC, I'm anxious to see if my "pickiness" is discerning enough to notice a difference. Being new to this stuff I'm sure the 4490 will be great, but I'm trying to find the most effective use of funds to improve the quality of sound (if this is even a good use). I don't ever see a need for balanced outputs so saving for a Gumby doesn't seem realistic. I'm the type to buy for the long-term, hence the decision for the 4490 or MB.

Don't discount the importance of a DAC. If you keep your stuff for a long time then buy the MB version and be done with it. You won't regret it.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #73 of 467
Just sent in an order for the 4490. I've had the Bimby loaned out to me for a couple days back when it was first released and it was great to listen to. Great sense of space, timbre more natural, sublime imaging and layering. However, instead of spending the $250 (+shipping), I'd rather save for the Gumby and have an endgame DAC I can live with for a long time.

Anyway, thought I'd allocate my funds to an amp first, so my Gumby plans are now put on the backburner. And I figured that I'll just stick to the 4490 upgrade in the meantime. I'll write up my impressions when the board comes this week.
can't wait for your impressions.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #74 of 467
I've been running the 4490 for about a week. I'm very use to the Uber, as I've been running it since it's release. The 4490 has lost most of the treble grain found in the Uber. The 4490 seems to dig out more details in the music(from bass thru treble). The low end feels more impactful. The stage feels more forward & a bit higher. I'm also noticing more vocal fluctuations, and just better layering of all the sound.

$70. is Stupid cheap for this level of performance.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #75 of 467
I've been running the 4490 for about a week. I'm very use to the Uber, as I've been running it since it's release. The 4490 has lost most of the treble grain found in the Uber. The 4490 seems to dig out more details in the music(from bass thru treble). The low end feels more impactful. The stage feels more forward & a bit higher. I'm also noticing more vocal fluctuations, and just better layering of all the sound.

$70. is Stupid cheap for this level of performance.

Brilliant. Can't wait. A little anxious about how much improvement there really is in regards to the uber and how it compares to the multibit, but I trust the impressions on here that 4490 won't disappoint one bit (pun intended).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back