Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
May 30, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #331 of 467
May 31, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #333 of 467
For anyone interested in HQPlayer, I found these settings work best with Bifrost:

Backend: ASIO

Device: ASIO for usb device

Buffer Time: 100ms (helps when using other programs while music is playing)

DAC bits: 24 (I got in touch with Schiit about this program and they said set it to 24 for the 4490frost)

Filter: Poly-sinc (although sinc is much much better, more layered sound, deeper soundstage, more holographic/3D, but computer intensive. I had to switch to wasapi and run windows in minimal mode to get this to run withough glitches)

Dither: NS9 (works best with 176.4k/192k upsampling) 

Sample rate: For my 44.1k files, I set it to 176400(176.4k), for my my 48k files I set it to 192000(192k).  The reason for this is, everything should be upsampled by 2 or 4 (44.1 times 4 is 176.4), it is much more pleasing sounding.  The developer of the program said best quality is achieved upsampling as high as your DAC allows, and I agree.  Everything sounded fantastic at default 48k, but it was nothing compared to 176/192k.

Vol Min: 0.0db - Vol Max: 0.0db (setting them both at zero bypasses the player's volume control, so it is exclusively controlled by your Amp... I was using the player's volume before all the way up, but when I set them to zero, there was a noticeable uptick in sound quality)

Bifrost isn't a DSD DAC, so I don't use those settings, but people say the quality of PCM upsampled to DSD is incredibly realistic.  You can of course tweak any settings and experiment, but I settled upon these after messing around with settings quite a bit)

There is a catchall thread for this program on computeraudiophile forums that has tons of user reviews, experiences and helpful tips, plus the inventor of the software posts there (Miska).

EDIT: Sorry DAC bits should be set to 24 only for 24bit music files. For 16bit, either 16 or higher but you will have to judge the sound quality for yourself to choose.

Do you need a plugin or other driver for it to work(ASIO) in HQplayer? Does the standard C-media Schiit driver through Windows Update suffice? If so where can I find it? I am soon buying HQplayer. Since it has to possibility to work with Tidal. Anyone with a Windows-guide? I did e-mail Schiit as well. It seems they only have a guide for the Linux-version. While for Jriver/Foobar etc they have guides for both OS-systems.

May 31, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #335 of 467
HQPlayer works with ASIO and WASAPI. The drivers usually come with your DAC.

Well that's something. Foobar for example or Jriver they need a plugin to be installed and then they work with Asio and Schiit while still using the default Schiit Cmedia driver installed through Microsoft Update-system automatically. It seems Schiit has also a alternative ASIO-driver (v1.0.1, looks kinda old and not created by them). For that to install I have to uninstall first the older drivers. Also have no experience with that alternative ASIO-driver. Not sure how it behaves on other applications, does it has a switch to default windows-audio (DirectSound or Wasapi)
It seems that the default Schiit Cmedia drivers has some ASIO-dll files though. So just wondering how to initiate it and wich settings must be used in HQplayer

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #337 of 467
HQPlayer detected my asio/wasapi drivers automatically. Not sure what to tell you.

And you use the default Schiit driver? V1.3 or the automatic driver trhough windows update?

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #339 of 467
Jun 2, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #340 of 467
  I currently have 4490 and Gumby demo units in my possession (I still can't lay my hands on Bimby and Yggy) and I've just spent an interested evening comparing them.  Being demo units, both DACs are assumed to be burned in, however I only gave Gumby 3hrs warm up time, so I'll happily revise my findings if its sonic character develops further over the coming days.  The following impressions were formed using my main system with loudspeakers and not my headphone rig.  4490 connected to my A-S3000 single-ended, and Gumby connected to my A-S3000 both single-ended and balanced.

Caveat: 
In my system all three DAC outputs differ in level, confirmed by the watt/VU meters on my A-S3000.  The difference is very small, but audible nevertheless.  The single-ended 4490 is the loudest, followed by the balanced Gumby (my A-S3000 automatically attenuates balanced input signals down to normal line levels), and the single-ended Gumby is the quietest.  It's impossible to objectively evaluate DACs unless the output level is equal, so I tried as best I could to equalise levels further when switching between them.  

Comparison - 4490 single-ended vs Gumby single-ended:
Gumby sounds smoother and more relaxed and natural than 4490.  It's not any less detailed or duller - in fact I was pleased to discover Gumby still has nice crisp highs - but everything seems more grounded and focused.  Instrument locations are easier to pinpoint, and transients are cleaner and shorter.  Gumby's overall presentation is smaller in size.  4490 sounds larger, more floaty and more dazzling, but it also sounds more 'digital' (strained/strident/etched) during busy passages.  4490 has some kind of digital 'ringing' or 'haloing' going on that I didn't notice until hearing Gumby, a bit like a 'hall' ambience/reverb effect.  In simple terms, Gumby sounds like the positive effect you get from adding some acoustic absorption panels to your room.

I've spent the last couple of days evaluating 4490 and Gumby using my headphone rig, and I seriously started to doubt my state of mind when I made the above comments because through my Valhalla / HD600 I was struggling to hear any notable difference between the 4490 and Gumby and even my existing Uberfrost!  However I managed to borrow a pair of the newly released HD800S, and the difference between the DACs on my headphone rig was finally revealed.

Lesson to self: identifying the weakest link in your chain is crucial if you are trying to hear fine differences between DACs.  In my case the weakest link was my HD600.  A part of my wishes I'd never heard the HD800S, because now I KNOW what I'm missing out on!!!...

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #341 of 467
I've spent the last couple of days evaluating 4490 and Gumby using my headphone rig, and I seriously started to doubt my state of mind when I made the above comments because through my Valhalla / HD600 I was struggling to hear any notable difference between the 4490 and Gumby and even my existing Uberfrost!  However I managed to borrow a pair of the newly released HD800S, and the difference between the DACs on my headphone rig was finally revealed.

Lesson to self: identifying the weakest link in your chain is crucial if you are trying to hear fine differences between DACs.  In my case the weakest link was my HD600.  A part of my wishes I'd never heard the HD800S, because now I KNOW what I'm missing out on!!!...
Sooo... Whats the difference when using HD800S?

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #342 of 467
Sooo... Whats the difference when using HD800S?

Largely the same as when listening through my loudspeakers.

In short:
Gumby > 4490 > Uberfrost.

In a bit more detail:
- Uberfrost is the most 'digital sounding' of the three.  Crescendoes and busy passages sound like they are compressing and have a fatiguing stridency to them.
- 4490 is a slight improvement on Uberfrost and sounds slightly less congested (most notably in the mids) and not quite as compressed/strident.
- Gumby is the biggest improvement and sounds more relaxed and effortless, reveals more low-level detail, a blacker background, it's sharper and more precise/transparent but is also less fatiguing because it presents a deeper soundstage and does not compress/harden on busy content.

That said, I've decided just go for the 4490 upgrade for the moment.  If I'm committing to multibit I feel I need to go for Yggy and be done with it, avoiding the inevitable 'what ifs' in the future.  And unfortunately there's currently a waiting list on Yggy here in the UK.  Also, the revelation of hearing the HD800S has made my realise yet again that the transducers are the most important link in the chain, and that if I'm looking to be spending >$1000 new piece of gear, it should probably be on headphones first.  

YMMV of course! :wink:

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #343 of 467
  Largely the same as when listening through my loudspeakers.

In short:
Gumby > 4490 > Uberfrost.

In a bit more detail:
- Uberfrost is the most 'digital sounding' of the three.  Crescendoes and busy passages sound like they are compressing and have a fatiguing stridency to them.
- 4490 is a slight improvement on Uberfrost and sounds slightly less congested (most notably in the mids) and not quite as compressed/strident.
- Gumby is the biggest improvement and sounds more relaxed and effortless, reveals more low-level detail, a blacker background, it's sharper and more precise/transparent but is also less fatiguing because it presents a deeper soundstage and does not compress/harden on busy content.

That said, I've decided just go for the 4490 upgrade for the moment.  If I'm committing to multibit I feel I need to go for Yggy and be done with it, avoiding the inevitable 'what ifs' in the future.  And unfortunately there's currently a waiting list on Yggy here in the UK.  Also, the revelation of hearing the HD800S has made my realise yet again that the transducers are the most important link in the chain, and that if I'm looking to be spending >$1000 new piece of gear, it should probably be on headphones first.  

YMMV of course! :wink:

Indeed. Headphones are the most important thing. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #344 of 467

This is what I noticed on my rig too but more drastic as I was coming from the Modi 2U. There's more width and depth to the sound, it just has more body, feels thicker.

I'm also in the same boat. I've got my HE-560 which seems to scale pretty well. Now I'm just focusing on enjoying my audio setup. Next upgrades won't come until I can go for something like a Yggy and a MJ2, I'll probably purchase an HD800S before all of that though, those are looking to be my next headphone purchase somewhere down the line. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #345 of 467

I went from the HD600 to the beyer T90.  Some people prefer the T90 to the overpriced HD800, and some can hardly tell the difference (though T90 is supposedly more musical), and I paid $320 for them.  Shows you pay more for the name than the headphone these days.

It wasnt until I switched cans that the 4490 really showed me how good it was.  The HD600 is practically veiled compared to the T90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back