Schiit Audio: Bifrost/Asgard 2 with Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro (250 Ohm)
Oct 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kingcrimson69

New Head-Fier
Hey there!

I was wondering if the Schiit stack (Bifrost/Asgard 2) could be nicely paired with my Beyer DT 880 Pro (250 Ohm). I've heard the Bifrost is very neutral sounding, whilst the Asgard is a little warm (really close to neutral though). Would these devices make the DT 880 sound as neutral as possible, or at least more neutral? Also, do these provide good detail retreival?

Regards.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Once you get up to higher end DACs and solid state amps like the Bifrost/Asgard 2, the tonal difference between DAC/solid state amps in the same class is going to be very, very slight. After all, the goal of both a well made DAC and solid state amp should be transparent reproduction of the music. Not worth worrying about, IMO. The Bifrost/Asgard 2 will be a very resolving pairing that will sound great with your DT880s.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Once you get up to higher end DACs and solid state amps like the Bifrost/Asgard 2, the tonal difference between DAC/solid state amps in the same class is going to be very, very slight. After all, the goal of both a well made DAC and solid state amp should be transparent reproduction of the music. Not worth worrying about, IMO. The Bifrost/Asgard 2 will be a very resolving pairing that will sound great with your DT880s.

Thanks a lot! I didin't know that tonal balance differences were so slight. I guess the only way to learn to detect such details would be to possess a completely neutral, high end system, to use as a reference.

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks a lot! I didin't know that tonal balance differences were so slight. I guess the only way to learn to detect such details would be to possess a completely neutral, high end system, to use as a reference.

Right. The differences are not considered "slight" by people that collect headphone amps and DACs as part of the hobby and get into really discerning the difference and trying to use amp/dac synergy to tweak the sound of their headphones a tiny bit. They are trying to squeeze that extra 0.1 % sound difference to improve what they hear (better to get different headphones or use EQ, IMO, but to each his own).

But for the rest of us who just want a nice setup, it's not that significant. It's a question of whether you listen to your music with your equipment, or do you listen to your equipment through the music. If you are listening to the music, then the difference is negligible between the best solid state equipment that is comparable in price/performance class that is recommended here on Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back